Oops..made a blunder

Guest VINDER

Guest VINDER

Hello all,

I know its pretty late for me to be asking this but well, its better late than never

I happen to stumble onto this site when I was googling about adelaide and forum sites since i'd always enjoy being on an online forum. Found a few sites..POMS in OZ, Brit expats etc; somehow kept on coming back to this site; maybe because I knew we were moving to Adealkide and I had loads of concern re our move.:sad:

The posts I read here makes me feel that life in adelaide wouldnt be so alien like since everyone seems very supportive and warm towards each other. After all, we are all leaving something familiar and venturing into a new place ... and what more could one ask for besides having friends around:wubclub:

I became a member without hesitating ( and obviously without looking at the post on your homepage:unsure:) and a few days back posted my first thread

Today, while I was actually taking time to look at the home page, I saw this statement

"The community forum for brits in Adelaide and Brits migrating to Adelaide"...

and well..." I am not a Brit" ; yes, I am migrating to Adelaide but I am a Malaysian..So, this will actually mean, I will be able to read and learn loads from all of you but I would not be able to post any threads , right

Well, thank you for helping me this past few months . I definitely enjoyed being on this forum coz it made me feel like a big "family" with most of us having the same concerns ..

There isn't a day that passes by without me being online to read the many posts found on this site and honestly, after looking for months for a site which is as opened and with people as welcoming as the members here, I would say This site is the best for all queries and concerns re living in adelaide and a wonderful site to help you fit in....

Maybe someday soon you will decide to have it as a forum for everyone who is planning to become a part of the Adelaide community..till than I will continue to read the posts and learn from all of you. hopefully our paths may cross in a different situation and we may after all be friends.....You are all the loveliest online members...

Best Wishes to all : Vinder Kashmir

P/S: Sorry; didnt mean to post such a long thread but..I just had so much to share/write:err:...

Guest caoimhe
Hello all,

Today, while I was actually taking time to look at the home page, I saw this statement

and well..." I am not a Brit" ; yes, I am migrating to Adelaide but I am a Malaysian..So, this will actually mean, I will be able to read and learn loads from all of you but I would not be able to post any threads , right

P/S: Sorry; didnt mean to post such a long thread but..I just had so much to share/write:err:...

Hi Vinder

Don't worry about not being a Brit, we have been on this site about 6months and are Irish so I'm sure you will be made to feel as welcome as us. We all have the same worries/concerns about migrating no matter were we are from

Jacqueline- Honary Pom

Guest VINDER

Thanks Jacqueline:)

Anyway, I was just looking up for the meaning of POMS on wikipedia and saw this...."The term pommy or pom is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans to refer to people of British origins".. should have done that earlier and would have saved myself the embarassment.....:err:

and I thought POMS actually meant " People of Migrant Status"..well, silly me:arghh:

Regards: Vinder Kashmir

Guest Django

Vinder,

You are more than welcome to PIA. After all how can we not allow you to use this site when we allow Caoimhe:biglaugh: Also we have people using this site from America and South Africa.

Please feel free to post on here as much or as little as you like. After all we are all in the same boat so to speak, so do consider yourself as much a part of this forum as anyone else.

Good luck on your move to Oz and please don't feel you are not welcome here.

Pete

Guest Aussie pat

I don't think that I'd want to be a member of an exclusive forum. I've always thought that the words you quoted were just a guide and that everyone is welcome. Besides my impression of most people on this forum is that they are very welcoming, and inclusive, regardless of where you come from.

Please don't stop using PIA.

Guest ReadyPenny

Vinder

I am a relatively new member to the site myself and although I am British, my understanding of the forum and it's members so far is this.

Everyone has been made welcome on here, I understand your comments about the wording, but had you not told us - we would have been non the wiser about your origins. The site, as I understand it, is to provide help, information and support for people recently migrated to Adelaide or those in the process of doing so.

Please don't be put off using the forum, no matter what people think about the British, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we don't expect to arrive in Adelaide and live exclusively amongst Brits!!! Remember it will be us (the migrants) in the minority.

Don't be daft, continue to post, use the site and share your experiences with others. I would be very very surprised indeed if you received anything at all negative on here.

;) Mandy

PS To all those of you who regularly post and answer our questions - thank you very much, it is truly appreciated from this side of the water!!!!

Guest caoimhe
Vinder,

You are more than welcome to PIA. After all how can we not allow you to use this site when we allow Caoimhe:biglaugh:

Pete

As this is your opinion of which you are entilted I can not complain:nah:

After all I was the one to defend your sarcastic sense of humour:p

Guest LOOBYLOO

I am sure you will be made very welcome to this site. We all share the same hopes and worries. I look forward to reading your posts as you advance to Oz.

Anyway, I was just looking up for the meaning of POMS on wikipedia and saw this...."The term pommy or pom is commonly used by speakers of Australian English, New Zealand English, South African English and Afrikaans to refer to people of British origins".. should have done that earlier and would have saved myself the embarassment.....:err:

and I thought POMS actually meant " People of Migrant Status"..well, silly me:arghh:

you thought you were silly, I thought it was something to do with prisoners... and seeing as none of us are prisonsers... then its open to all !!!

Carole

Dont worry, everyone is more than welcome. Makes no difference from where you are from , its where we all plan to end up that is the main point of this web site. Everyone is welcome

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Welcome Vinder and good luck with everything. :)

This is the chorus of a song you'll hear a fair bit here in Oz, and I think it says it all...

We are one but we are many

And from all the lands on earth we come

We share a dream and sing with one voice

I am

You are

We are Australian

so you can see you'll be welcomed both on the forums and in Australia, wherever you come from!

Pleasure to have you on board, Vinder!

Diane

Guest paul_smart
Hello all,

I know its pretty late for me to be asking this but well, its better late than never

I happen to stumble onto this site when I was googling about adelaide and forum sites since i'd always enjoy being on an online forum. Found a few sites..POMS in OZ, Brit expats etc; somehow kept on coming back to this site; maybe because I knew we were moving to Adealkide and I had loads of concern re our move.:sad:

The posts I read here makes me feel that life in adelaide wouldnt be so alien like since everyone seems very supportive and warm towards each other. After all, we are all leaving something familiar and venturing into a new place ... and what more could one ask for besides having friends around:wubclub:

I became a member without hesitating ( and obviously without looking at the post on your homepage:unsure:) and a few days back posted my first thread

Well, thank you for helping me this past few months . I definitely enjoyed being on this forum coz it made me feel like a big "family" with most of us having the same concerns ..

There isn't a day that passes by without me being online to read the many posts found on this site and honestly, after looking for months for a site which is as opened and with people as welcoming as the members here, I would say This site is the best for all queries and concerns re living in adelaide and a wonderful site to help you fit in....

Maybe someday soon you will decide to have it as a forum for everyone who is planning to become a part of the Adelaide community..till than I will continue to read the posts and learn from all of you. hopefully our paths may cross in a different situation and we may after all be friends.....You are all the loveliest online members...

Hey Vinder, I know I've upset everybody by replying to your whole quote but they'll get over it, and for your information this IS a site for everyone planning to become a member of the adelaide community, it's just aimed at us Motherlanders as bit of a dig if you like, PIA; Pom: being Prisoner Of Motherland, which once they all were but now are mocking us as we are the prisoners wanting to escape the Motherland as we seem to have sent our prisoners to a paradice we all want a bit of, either way this site is for everyone and your views and experiences are as important as all of ours , we can learn from you too!!! best of luck with the migration and I hope I beat you there!!!

Guest cazzie

Hello Vinder,

Welcome. You are so right - this site is great. I have shared a few concerns/problems and always feel better after the responses of the generous folks from PIA. Good luck with everything and keep posting.

Cazzie:)

Guest nick0

That's OK Vinder.

You will find that you have more in common with poms than most people.

I work with a malaysian and we both snigger at the same backward things here in adelaide.

Guest VINDER

Hello again,

Thank you so much for the various posts re my "blunder"..as i said earlier, this site IS full of wonderful people. You are all definitelky right about all of us heading to the same place...though from different points of origin:)

Today, i was just sharing with my students how we shouldn't judge others too fast and that we should always try to see the best in others (though its easier said than done at times) and you people on "POMS in Adealide" were a good example to my class:wubclub: Just know that somewhere on earth, in a school at Miri, Sarawak a group of 17 year olds ( 37 to be exact ) have learned a lot through you about the power of encouragement among strangers;)