Anyone here live in Victor Harbor/ Encounter Bay

newlife

Hi

We are considering moving down to Victor Harbor/ Encounter Bay and was wondering if the work situation is as dire as we have been told. My husband is a kitchen installer at the moment but is a qualified Diesal Technician by trade.

Also what is it like to actually live down there, we spend a lot of time on day trips and weekends away at Goolwa, but obviously holidaying is not the same as actually kliving there.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Wendy

Hi

We are considering moving down to Victor Harbor/ Encounter Bay and was wondering if the work situation is as dire as we have been told. My husband is a kitchen installer at the moment but is a qualified Diesal Technician by trade.

Also what is it like to actually live down there, we spend a lot of time on day trips and weekends away at Goolwa, but obviously holidaying is not the same as actually kliving there.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Wendy

Just a bit of advice I know a right dodgy family who are looking to more down that way letsjust but it this way your Esky will never be the same again if you live near them;)

Guest moonraker1959

Hi I know Victor Harbour pretty well,having spent a fair bit of time down there as a child and my sister lives there.Each to their own I guess,but most people call VH "Gods waiting room"meaning there a quite alot of retiree's down there.We visited last May,stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel,close to the beach and truly it was as dead as a doornail !Went out at night and we saw maybe half a dozen people the whole night!During the day was'nt much better either.Not sure what age group you are,I guess if you have kids you would have to consider them for later on in life,work wise or whatever.VH is a nice place,but I guess its similar to Sidmouth(UK)in that its a place in SA known for its older generation.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stufi1997

We live here and have done for 2 years...what do you want to know? Schools are good, choice of 3 in Victor. 2 private 1 public, others in neighbouring towns....BIG W has just opened woohoo...shops open til 10 every day, lots of gophers speeding around in the day time....speak about folks with their 4W drives thinking they own the road!!

We've both been working since we got here, mind you I am a carer for the elderly. Stu is a painter and has hardly had any days off since we arrived...and that's been due to rain not lack of work in the building trade. Good luck with whatever you decide...let us know xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lifestyle'n

Hi, weather is great always a few degrees cooler than Adelaide (4 seasons), schools are good, plenty of old school things to do creeks, beaches, skate park, sport is strong, new library is good. Can be quiet at times but that is one of the beautys', tourism is major at times of the year and seems to be all of the time this year. House prices are good average block of land about $110,000 and rents below Adelaide with good quality. Diesel Fitter- try businesses along Waterport Rd or Mining at Strathalbyn ( half hour drive) lots of building for kitchen fitter. Good Luck

Guest The Coyne Family

Hi guys we were looking at victor harbor or the encounter bay areas just wondering if their are many jobs for sparks over that way and if its too far to commute to Adelaide??

Maria.

• 8 years later...

Don’t go there. We did and the place is boring. No standards in the cafes, hotels or shops. In short, food is rubbish, service same. It’s a right wing Christian place with out dated ideas. The place and people are stuck in the 1940’s, and it can take years to resell your house when you decide to leave. Jobs: none. Wages: very low. Entertainment: none. 

• 1 year later...