AFL is a joke

Guest downunder123

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the 1960’s the growing influence of pop music had an effect on football chants. Chanting became more of a choir activity, rather than its previous life of witty comment about players with two left feet. Singing began on Merseyside at Spion Kop at Anfield and to this day, the Kop Choir are probably the most famous of football chanters. Liverpool was an influential musical city in the 1960’s and the words of songs by The Beatles, Freddie and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Cilla Black are now a long established part of football chanting.

I take it you are not a Canaries fan, they weren't formed until the 1900s :-)

Guest bigmouth

To summarise:

AFL is boring and so are all the fans.

Another thing - every friday at work all people go on about is ..."have you done ya footy tips" - as if doing AFL footy tips is fun - total losers

During the 1960’s the growing influence of pop music had an effect on football chants. Chanting became more of a choir activity, rather than its previous life of witty comment about players with two left feet. Singing began on Merseyside at Spion Kop at Anfield and to this day, the Kop Choir are probably the most famous of football chanters. Liverpool was an influential musical city in the 1960’s and the words of songs by The Beatles, Freddie and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers and Cilla Black are now a long established part of football chanting.

I take it you are not a Canaries fan, they weren't formed until the 1900s :-)

Nice quote from "dooyoo" by the way. :) ..correct became more popular but completly wrong in its origins....on the ball city a norwich city football song first written by Norwich Teachers or Caley's FC in the 1890s, and used by clubs such as Swifians before being adopted by Norwich City.....god even in the 1920 chants were hugely common please dont distort the truth to attempt to prove a point...no im not a cannaries fan im a swansea fan and we have chants going back to the 40's ;)

Guest seekingsunshine

ha i agree with Nikkic a lot of stirring going on here....

are downunder123, 20legend and bigmouth the same person by any chance lol? think they have done a total of 6 posts between them -all on this thread!

Woman no nothing about most sports in general and the ones who do attend dont actually really watch the game, instead they just "have a natter".

opps women better retire from participating in any sport or watching it....as they apparently 'know nothing!'

i've found this thread amusing to read but arent thrilled to find that English people who enjoy being part of a mob and throwing things at people have managed to find their way into Australia! (obviously they are everywhere but it would have been nice if they could stay in uk where they are with other people who like to abuse each other)

if australians can enjoy their sport without abusing people than thank god for that

Just so you know, Liverpool started the singing in the 60s to Beatles songs, that's where football chants originated.

Apparantly the crowd starting singing 'I'm forever blowing bubbles' at West Ham in the 1920s.

I agree that the crowd/atmosphere at AFL games is pretty weak, you can't beat the singing/chanting/involvement of the crowd that you get at a proper football match (ie Premier League). No contest. By the way I'm a female who knows nothing about sport bigmouth (strikes again).

Nice quote from "dooyoo" by the way. :) ..correct became more popular but completly wrong in its origins....on the ball city a norwich city football song first written by Norwich Teachers or Caley's FC in the 1890s, and used by clubs such as Swifians before being adopted by Norwich City.....god even in the 1920 chants were hugely common please dont distort the truth to attempt to prove a point...no im not a cannaries fan im a swansea fan and we have chants going back to the 40's ;)

Do you want me to send you the history of the KOP DVD where it has all the history? Yes I googled quickly, but give me your address and I will post the DVD.

Norwich City formed 1902....were you born in the 1890s hence your memory failing you ;)

Let's move on, you are 100% wrong, no need for you to dig yourself deeper. :biglaugh:

Careful now. I sense a strange foreboding in the air!You new boys need to watch your step,this ain't no place for controversial statements or lively debate,you do so at your peril.Even as we speak the Clique are gathering to pour scorn on you with great vitriol.You may even be accused of the heinous crime of being a "Troll".The ultimate shame may soon fall upon you,you could even receive an exclusive PIA "infraction"!That truly is a fate worse than death itself.Be aware,this is no laughing matter!;)

Do you want me to send you the history of the KOP DVD where it has all the history? Yes I googled quickly, but give me your address and I will post the DVD.

Norwich City formed 1902....were you born in the 1890s hence your memory failing you ;)

Let's move on, you are 100% wrong, no need for you to dig yourself deeper. :biglaugh:

:embarrassed: Are you actualy serious???

Do you really believe what you are saying?

My god lad football chants have been around for a 100 years for gods sake everyone knows that!

And teh norwich thing did you not read my post??? i provided you with norwich's former names???? bit like your clubs "Everton F.C. and Athletic Grounds, Ltd.," get it!!! :arghh:

:embarrassed: Are you actualy serious???

Do you really believe what you are saying?

My god lad football chants have been around for a 100 years for gods sake everyone knows that!

And teh norwich thing did you not read my post??? i provided you with norwich's former names???? bit like your clubs "Everton F.C. and Athletic Grounds, Ltd.," get it!!! :arghh:

Steven Wells: did the scousers invent terrace culture as we know it? | Sport | guardian.co.uk

No mention of Norwich, Swansea or West Ham.

Maybe I do know what I am talking about afterall. ;) No need to apologise, I am happy to have educated you tonight.

Get some sleep, and re-read in the morning when you have put our glasses on and can take it in.

The singing you are going on about is not , football chants as IN WHEN THE GAME IS BEING PLAYED, that started in Liverpool.

hahahhaha U R FUNNY, FROM THE EXACT same article as you have been quoting from....

"The chants of the fans have been part of the football scene since the mid 19th century. However, how they originated is not certain. In the early days, popular songs such as “Blaydon Races”, composed in1862 by George Ridley, were sung at Newcastle’s matches and the same song could still be heard on the terraces some ninety years later".

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

dig that hole ;)

Get some sleep, and re-read in the morning when you have put our glasses on and can take it in.

The singing you are going on about is not , football chants as IN WHEN THE GAME IS BEING PLAYED, that started in Liverpool.

The scouse claim - in essence - is that Liverpool fans stole the Liverpool clap-clap-clap chant from footage of Brazil fans at the 1962 World Cup

So where did it start

The scouse claim - in essence - is that Liverpool fans stole the Liverpool clap-clap-clap chant from footage of Brazil fans at the 1962 World Cup

So where did it start

ohhhh theres more lol

from the real article un edited by you know who..

"MUSICAL INFLUENCES and THE KOP

Famous football songs and the clubs who use them are:-

 “You’ll never walk alone” - Liverpool

 “The Blaydon Races” - Newcastle

 “Hi, ho silver lining” - Sheffield Wednesday

 “I’m forever blowing bubbles” - West Ham "

So no claim whatsoever that they invented it lol

Did you know that life was first found in liverpool? ;)

Which part of 'during the game' don't you understand, the first, second or third word?

I am pleased you have given up on the Norwich rubbish after an hour.

I cannot understand you anymore im afraid, are you attempting to insinuate that songs like im forever blowing bubbles are not sung during matches???

Giving up the norwich thing???

Wow you are a starnge one ;)

Read slowly and you may understand, you support Swansea, would it help if I typed in Welsh?

Before Liverpool started singing, football fans sang songs before games, not during.

Heheheeh ok if you wish to belive that then go ahead...but for all the people who were around in say even the 50's who believe they were singing during matches then hey they are all liars lol ;) wow the contempt of youth ;)

Guest cornish Busdriver
So how on earth are you qualified to comment :arghh:

I don't post on crochet forums, as I have never crocheted, maybe you shouldn't talk about a sport you have never watched!

You make me laugh again and again and again, your funny.:biglaugh:

Too right i dont watch pansy ass soccer but i have played both soccer and AFL.

Dont knock AFL untill you try playing it, but then again if you have only ever played soccer then you wouldnt last a minute in an AFL game and probaly quit after the first tackle when someone throws you to the ground so it just about rip your neck off or the moment someone runs up your back and knee's ya in the head reaching for the ball.