UK Secondary Science Teacher

Guest iluvchewits

Guest iluvchewits

Got state sponsorship for queensland (475 visa), and thinking about applying for a 176 visa for SA. Could do with knowing employment prospects in and around Adelaide. Happy with relief teaching initially, but long term plan is to secure a permanent post.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Guest WhatNow?

I don't know what this says about the situation generally but there is only one job advertised for a secondary maths/science teacher in the Adelaide area in CareerOne this week. and that is out at Strathalbyn at a Christian school asking specifically for a 'Christian' teacher. Maybe there are some teachers on PIA who could give you a broader view. I'm sure that if you were prepared to go out into the sticks (Port Pirie, Whyalla, Mount Gambier for example) then you would find it a lot easier but that might not fit in with the lifestyle you want...

You will have no problems getting a job being a science teacher at high school level..it is the primary level where jobs are almost non existant.

Go on the teaching in sa website. There are always loads of jobs advertised..even ar DECS level...they come out 3/4 times a year.

I would be feeling pretty confident if I were you.

Ask coolerking..he is a maths high school teacher and got a job almost straight away.

You will have no problems getting a job being a science teacher at high school level..it is the primary level where jobs are almost non existant.

Go on the teaching in sa website. There are always loads of jobs advertised..even ar DECS level...they come out 3/4 times a year.

I would be feeling pretty confident if I were you.

Ask coolerking..he is a maths high school teacher and got a job almost straight away.

We have friends who have just returned to the UK as he couldnt get a science teachers job and very rarely even got an interview. My husband is a secondary school teacher in technology, we have been here 3 months and nothing suitable has come up yet. Schools advertising a christian ethos are exactly that, the application form and interview are very religion orientated

Karen

I think you may be okay. You will have to do TRT work initially - put your CV out to numerous schools and join Randstad Education agency too. Once you are in and out of schools and they begin to know you - and like you - your chances are much higher of gaining a contract. I joined Randstad, and had a few lovely jobs in primary and senior schools and also sent my CV to a handful of schools. Once I completed a term at Christies Beach, they offered me a 9 month contract which has been fantastic.

Good luck.

By the way, do you know if your qualifications meet the standards for the SA Education department?

Hopefully, they do meet their requirements as mine did not, meaning that I had to gain a post-grad diploma in education, at great cost, before they considered me.

Cazzie

We have friends who have just returned to the UK as he couldnt get a science teachers job and very rarely even got an interview. My husband is a secondary school teacher in technology, we have been here 3 months and nothing suitable has come up yet. Schools advertising a christian ethos are exactly that, the application form and interview are very religion orientated

Karen

Science and maths are definately in demand.

I know of a couple schools that have employment vacancies on their books.

Technology is a different matter altogether..it is definately a case of old boys network in that area.

Got state sponsorship for queensland (475 visa), and thinking about applying for a 176 visa for SA. Could do with knowing employment prospects in and around Adelaide. Happy with relief teaching initially, but long term plan is to secure a permanent post.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Maths and science seem to be where there are jobs, especially in senior school. Experience of teaching up to A level is definitely an advantage.

Being able to support the Christian ethos is on a scale which goes a very long way. Experience of teaching in the Catholic system will help for the Catholic schools as would being Catholic. This is for some of the Indie schools.

I only know of the state school system through word of mouth. Getting permanent contract in this sector seems very difficult. I have met teachers of twenty years experience who have never had a permanent contract. Like many parts of Australia, you are expected to work rural to be able to apply for jobs in certain zones. I believe that Victor Harbor was once considered 'rural' but not any more. This happened in Qld to people who used to go to Toowoomba (2hrs from Brisbane) to get fulfil their obligation.

A friend of a friend has been offered several short term contracts at what are considered excellent independent schools. So I guess that reading other posts, their are a variety of experiences here to be had.

Best of luck,

Cooler