We're going home, we're going home!

Guest northernstar200

Guest moonraker1959

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your return to the UK.Sounds like you have given it all your best shot and good on you for doing that.Life is what you make it wherever you live.xx

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rusty

Hello there,

Im Tracy's Mum. There hasnt been a day gone passed that I havent thought about Tracy and her family and I miss them all terribly. When I was told they were going to Australia I was happy and sad.....Happy that they were doing something that would make them happy and sad that it was breaking my heart. When I was told they were coming home I was so happy .......................and like most have said they gave it a go .............I will be welcoming them back with open arms and I do hope that they never put me through this heartache again. Its so hard being a Mum, you want what is best for your Children and Granchildren but in my purely selfish way I want what is best for them but in this country. Tracy Tuesday cannot come quick enough for me.

Hello there,

Im Tracy's Mum. There hasnt been a day gone passed that I havent thought about Tracy and her family and I miss them all terribly. When I was told they were going to Australia I was happy and sad.....Happy that they were doing something that would make them happy and sad that it was breaking my heart. When I was told they were coming home I was so happy .......................and like most have said they gave it a go .............I will be welcoming them back with open arms and I do hope that they never put me through this heartache again. Its so hard being a Mum, you want what is best for your Children and Granchildren but in my purely selfish way I want what is best for them but in this country. Tracy Tuesday cannot come quick enough for me.

Really feel for you and am sure you are very excited about all being in the same country again.

I feel so lucky and blessed that my parents have never once criticised us for taking their only grandchildren to the other side of the world. It must have been heart wrenching for them but they have been 100% supportive of us throughout, have managed to visit several times, and have never once made us feel guilty for doing what we felt was right for our young family (although I'm sure that's meant them biting their tongues sometimes!) Emigrating is such a difficult process for so many reasons. Reading your post does make me realise just how wonderful my folks have been.

Hi Tracy.

I'm so sorry to hear you were unable to find work,just such a shame we had to loose you as a new contract has now been signed for something else. Did you find the agency any good or was work limited with them?

It must be such a hard decision to make to go back but you have to do whats best for you and by the sounds of it you've given it your best shot.

I hope you all have a safe journey back and you manage to settle back into the UK life quickly.

Take care.xxx

Guest northernstar200
Hi Tracy.

I'm so sorry to hear you were unable to find work,just such a shame we had to loose you as a new contract has now been signed for something else. Did you find the agency any good or was work limited with them?

It must be such a hard decision to make to go back but you have to do whats best for you and by the sounds of it you've given it your best shot.

I hope you all have a safe journey back and you manage to settle back into the UK life quickly.

Take care.xxx

Hiya Emma, I didnt get many shifts at all with the agency, how about u? i got 4 shifts the whole time i have been with them. Thanks for my good luck. I am sure things will be fine once we have settled back in.

Tracy x

Guest karyn1
Really feel for you and am sure you are very excited about all being in the same country again.

I feel so lucky and blessed that my parents have never once criticised us for taking their only grandchildren to the other side of the world. It must have been heart wrenching for them but they have been 100% supportive of us throughout, have managed to visit several times, and have never once made us feel guilty for doing what we felt was right for our young family (although I'm sure that's meant them biting their tongues sometimes!) Emigrating is such a difficult process for so many reasons. Reading your post does make me realise just how wonderful my folks have been.

Diane,

You are very lucky indeed! My mother has been trying to make me feel guilty and tried to change my mind from the moment we told her we were thinking about the move! When we were allocated a case officer, she really went for it, even saying she would remove me from her will! Our visa was granted at the beginning of this week, and she has said she wants to know nothing about it:arghh: I hope she comes round before we leave as I would love her blessing - but if not - I'm doing this to give my children a better life....and I will never be made to feel guilty about that, by anyone! Your folks are ace;)

Hiya Emma, I didnt get many shifts at all with the agency, how about u? i got 4 shifts the whole time i have been with them. Thanks for my good luck. I am sure things will be fine once we have settled back in.

Tracy x

I've only done a couple of shifts with them but haven't put myself down for any recently as things started picking up at work. It seems to have gone quieter again now though so hoping this new contract starts soon as i have enjoyed the last couple of pay days lol.

Take care and have a great time seeing all your family and friends again. Hope you have a good summer in the UK lol.xxx

Diane,

You are very lucky indeed! My mother has been trying to make me feel guilty and tried to change my mind from the moment we told her we were thinking about the move! When we were allocated a case officer, she really went for it, even saying she would remove me from her will! Our visa was granted at the beginning of this week, and she has said she wants to know nothing about it:arghh: I hope she comes round before we leave as I would love her blessing - but if not - I'm doing this to give my children a better life....and I will never be made to feel guilty about that, by anyone! Your folks are ace;)

Hi Diane.

Thats awful what your mum is putting you through. It's not the easiest move without the extra pressure.

I wish you all the best with your move and i really hope your mum comes round before you leave.

Good luck and congrats on the visa.x

Hi Diane.

Thats awful what your mum is putting you through. It's not the easiest move without the extra pressure.

I wish you all the best with your move and i really hope your mum comes round before you leave.

Good luck and congrats on the visa.x

My mum has been ace since we moved here, she has been out here twice in the 3 years that we have been here.

She has seen first hand why we have down what we did....my dad i lost my dad 4 years ago and he knew about our plans and he besically said as long as you Kat and the kids are happy then thats all that matters.....

Never a truer word spoke by such a great man....:notworthy:

All the best to you NS.....

HG

Guest lize smit

Hi Laura (and everyone busy or thinking about returning home)

Our family have made the decision to return home (to South Africa) 9 months ago after sticking it out for 7 months in Adeliade.

Best decision ever made! Hubby and I are both professionals and earned $ 170 000.00/annum combined income. Still we found that we could not afford the lifestyle we had back in South Africa. We both had to work very long hours and then there is the housework afterwards! With 4 kids it tends to really get one down!!!

Fortuanately we still also did not sell our house in South africa . It took about 6 months for us to get back on our feet in South Africa as you know this whole trip to Oz digs deep into one's pockets. But now we are sailing free again! Life is as it were before (yes the crime and corruption as well! ) but might I add-life is actually better now because we appreciate everything our country has to offer more.

Nothing can replace family and one's own culture. And we all have to die at some stage-so I have adopted the motto: I would rather live a shorter happier life in South Africa than a longer unhappier one in OZ. And might I add this is personal-I know a lot of happy South africans in Oz as well!

But as Lauren said there are good things in Oz as well. I guess one has to put everything on a balanced scale and then stand back and see which side of the scale weighs more for your family

Good luck to all going and to all staying!

Lize:biglaugh:

Hi there, i just want to tell my story.

I really havent had much to say on here, but for once i have decided to bite the bullet and give you my story. What i do write in my story is the opinion of myself and not others.

Well we decided to move here, in 2009 after finding out that nurses were on the eanted list. We went to a leaving party of a friend of ours who were coming over, and i thought well that seems like a great idea. So around 12 months later we arrived.

When we first arrived we stayed in west beach caravan park in an eco tent, which i loved because to me the beginning of our journey was like being on a fab great holiday. We were a walk away from the beach, and just enjoyed camping and the sunshine.

We needed a house, as it was expensive at the caravan park. And getting a rental, was such a nightmare, it was a lot harder that we had ever expected, sometimes we would drive for ages, and get there only bto be also joined by about 30 other families, all who would of had refernces and a lot stronger case, for being given the rental. We eventually got a rental, it was the first one we were offered, so we took it, big mistake number one, it was a small tiny house, no where near a beach, not many families near us, many older people, who just wanted to keep themselves to themselves.

I started work, as a nurse at a private hospital, on a small oncology ward, to say it was differnt to my old job was an understatment, i went from working at a massive cancer hospital, a small oncology ward in a private hospital. I know we are supposed to come here and not compare one country to another, but when you start work this is excately what you do. The uniform should of given me a clue of what private hospital are like. They make you look like you work in a corporate environment, it is a business, and i do know that, but you get told this from day one. The doctor is who brings in the money and so you really have to obey and do what they say. We had to do a test thing on mannners and we are told that the client is always right, and that we should disagree with them, which sometimes is a very difficuly thing to do.

I moved jobs into a private community nursing post, all was well, hours to suit me, until the company lost a major tender, and so the work dimished. So jobs fr me here havent been as great as i anticipated.

My hubby came here with a lorry on his driving licence, when he went to change it at the driving place, even though he has been driving lorries for 15 years, they took it off his licence, and so he had to do more training and resit a test, just to tell him, yes you can drive a lorry, which costed us more money.

Schools - I was under the impression that children stay younger for longer here in sa, i have found this not to be the case. Again this is my own personal opinion, My eldest daughter came here, with good school grades, good hobbies such as guides, rangers, a great swimming club in the uk. After being her for nearly 12 months, her attitude has changed completely, and i know that teenage hormones could be to blame, but i feel that the relaxed way here has not helped my daughter at school, b we are not in the fortunate position to pay for private schools.

I am, and always have been a happy sorta person, easy going, enjoying life, and what ever happens, take it in my stride. Since we moved here, and i struggled for the past 3 months to get a job as a nurse, my mood and self esteems and really my whole personality has changed, i have felt low in mood, which in turn has made me miss and crave the uk even more than ever.

I thought we would come here and have more money to spend, but because i couldnt get a job, money has been tighter than ever.

I am going back penniless, and i do hope this time we have made the right desision, and i do have fond memories of the country.

I want to finnish this thread with the positives i am taking back home with me. I really do enjoy the infomal get togethers people have here, which we dont have in the uk. I will really miss having the beach ony a five minute walk away, blackpool is about 1 hour 15 mins away, and i dont think i could ever compare them lol. I will miss the great wines, and the fact that going to the beach for the whole day doesnt cost you a penny.

:o

Tracy, Andy, Beth n Jaz

I really havent had much to say on here, but for once i have decided to bite the bullet and give you my story. What i do write in my story is the opinion of myself and not others.

Well we decided to move here, in 2009 after finding out that nurses were on the eanted list. We went to a leaving party of a friend of ours who were coming over, and i thought well that seems like a great idea. So around 12 months later we arrived.

When we first arrived we stayed in west beach caravan park in an eco tent, which i loved because to me the beginning of our journey was like being on a fab great holiday. We were a walk away from the beach, and just enjoyed camping and the sunshine.

We needed a house, as it was expensive at the caravan park. And getting a rental, was such a nightmare, it was a lot harder that we had ever expected, sometimes we would drive for ages, and get there only bto be also joined by about 30 other families, all who would of had refernces and a lot stronger case, for being given the rental. We eventually got a rental, it was the first one we were offered, so we took it, big mistake number one, it was a small tiny house, no where near a beach, not many families near us, many older people, who just wanted to keep themselves to themselves.

I started work, as a nurse at a private hospital, on a small oncology ward, to say it was differnt to my old job was an understatment, i went from working at a massive cancer hospital, a small oncology ward in a private hospital. I know we are supposed to come here and not compare one country to another, but when you start work this is excately what you do. The uniform should of given me a clue of what private hospital are like. They make you look like you work in a corporate environment, it is a business, and i do know that, but you get told this from day one. The doctor is who brings in the money and so you really have to obey and do what they say. We had to do a test thing on mannners and we are told that the client is always right, and that we should disagree with them, which sometimes is a very difficuly thing to do.

I moved jobs into a private community nursing post, all was well, hours to suit me, until the company lost a major tender, and so the work dimished. So jobs fr me here havent been as great as i anticipated.

My hubby came here with a lorry on his driving licence, when he went to change it at the driving place, even though he has been driving lorries for 15 years, they took it off his licence, and so he had to do more training and resit a test, just to tell him, yes you can drive a lorry, which costed us more money.

Schools - I was under the impression that children stay younger for longer here in sa, i have found this not to be the case. Again this is my own personal opinion, My eldest daughter came here, with good school grades, good hobbies such as guides, rangers, a great swimming club in the uk. After being her for nearly 12 months, her attitude has changed completely, and i know that teenage hormones could be to blame, but i feel that the relaxed way here has not helped my daughter at school, b we are not in the fortunate position to pay for private schools.

I am, and always have been a happy sorta person, easy going, enjoying life, and what ever happens, take it in my stride. Since we moved here, and i struggled for the past 3 months to get a job as a nurse, my mood and self esteems and really my whole personality has changed, i have felt low in mood, which in turn has made me miss and crave the uk even more than ever.

I thought we would come here and have more money to spend, but because i couldnt get a job, money has been tighter than ever.

I am going back penniless, and i do hope this time we have made the right desision, and i do have fond memories of the country.

I want to finnish this thread with the positives i am taking back home with me. I really do enjoy the infomal get togethers people have here, which we dont have in the uk. I will really miss having the beach ony a five minute walk away, blackpool is about 1 hour 15 mins away, and i dont think i could ever compare them lol. I will miss the great wines, and the fact that going to the beach for the whole day doesnt cost you a penny.

Tracy, Andy, Beth n Jaz

Hey guys,

well done on making your decision, i know only too well how difficult life can be out here and how difficult it is to make the decision to return.

I have been there myself and very very almost went home.

Hasten to add we stayed and for us it all did get better, but I do sometimes get so homesick I feel like just going back just for a quick cuppa with my Mum.

Well good on you for trying Australia there are so many Brits who just dream what life could be like here and never dare to try. you did and you now know for yourselves it is not for you.

Enjoy your return xxxx

Guest midwifeonthemove

Tracy x

Hi Emma and Tracy,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but which agency do you girls work for? I have registered with an agency too, which is turning out to be a waste of time. Perm jobs seem pretty scarce on this side of town too.

Tanya x

Guest uklovingaussie

Tracy, Andy, Beth n Jaz

Hi, I can understand how you feel. Moving countries is not easy, but I must say that perhaps it's Adelaide that doesn't suit you and your family. I came here and have gone through many emotional ups and downs of living in SA. It's a very parochial society and very backward compared to the rest of Australia. The idea of everything being closed on public holidays is ridiculous. I'd have to say that Adelaide is one of the most boring places to live and the people seem to be quite arrogant, just look at the hoon laws! The weather is nuts - one day stinking hot and the next the temperature drops by 10 -15 degrees. Compare that with living in NSW what a world of difference. Nice friendly people, far more to do, things are open all the time, much better weather. A bit more expensive to live, but really not that much more and if you work as an employee you will earn more anyway. I was there a couple of months ago, went out with friends to a good Japanese restaurant - it cost less than a similar one in Adelaide! Go figure.

For anyone looking to move here I would say, take a serious long hard look at the place and then consider NSW - not just Sydney which of course is best depending on your lifestyle and requirements. For families wanting private schools, the choice is limited in Adelaide and the attitudes of people working in them are again, arrogant to say the least.

Otherwise, without the recession in the UK you are better off there. Interestingly my family say I seem much happier living in England:). Take the view that you don't need to live in Adelaide forever, it's a stepping stone place, enjoy the experience and the places to go (the York peninsula is dead boring, don't bother) but other places are quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest charlot

hey, good decision about leaving Adelaide. We lived there for 13 months and it wasnt good. We returned home, got good jobs and starting to have a normal life again.. it took us 8 months to get back on track here in Europe though.. Australia delayed us with everything.. planning family, carreer, money plans.. it is just a holiday place, too far from reality of life. And all the Australians cared about when we were leaving was what were we leaving behind.. what can they get for free.. )))) We left with not much fuss, no leaving parties :-D

We are SO HAPPY to be back. Europe is AMAZING and everything is so close.. snowboarding, beaches.. so what it takes few hours to drive there there. At least people are educated here and used to foreigners from all over the world. Well done on deciding to go back to UK and I wish you best luck.

Charlot

xxx

Guest uklovingaussie
hey, good decision about leaving Adelaide. We lived there for 13 months and it wasnt good. We returned home, got good jobs and starting to have a normal life again.. it took us 8 months to get back on track here in Europe though.. Australia delayed us with everything.. planning family, carreer, money plans.. it is just a holiday place, too far from reality of life. And all the Australians cared about when we were leaving was what were we leaving behind.. what can they get for free.. )))) We left with not much fuss, no leaving parties :-D

We are SO HAPPY to be back. Europe is AMAZING and everything is so close.. snowboarding, beaches.. so what it takes few hours to drive there there. At least people are educated here and used to foreigners from all over the world. Well done on deciding to go back to UK and I wish you best luck.

Charlot

xxx

Hi Charlot

So interesting to read you reply. I haven't been here on PIA in a long time rather trying to make the best of it. It's interesting because I awoke early this morning and can't sleep thinking about how I can never feel happy here no matter how I try and tell myself about all the "nice" things here - beautiful gardens/parklands, weather - well most times, but you can't get away from the arrogant and backward thinking people. I was thinking that perhaps I need to go for counselling. It seems crazy, the weather is pretty good for the time of year, I like that's it is cooler now, we have two enjoyable days out so far this Easter weekend, went down the Fleurieau Peninsula yesterday had lunch in a vineyard, etc, etc. But somehow Sth Australia will never be home to us. I would much prefer to be in NSW and close to Sydney if staying in Australia. However, we are looking forward to our return trip to the UK later in the year followed up by a 6 week stay in France! What flawed me the other day was that we can live in France for hundreds of dollars less than living here per month and be close to family and friends in the UK for the price of a cheap flight ticket or a drive to the ferries and a hop back. Makes one think..... rather than being here at the other end of the world. It's good to read that you are happy back home, so congratulations and thanks for sharing.http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Guest BurgessFamily

Imagine what a world it would be if we ALL wanted to live in the same place? :goofy: Thankfully we all have our own ideas of what brings happiness and enjoyment, and with that choose different places. ;)

Guest uklovingaussie
Imagine what a world it would be if we ALL wanted to live in the same place? :goofy: Thankfully we all have our own ideas of what brings happiness and enjoyment, and with that choose different places. ;)

Totally agree, otherwise we'd all be in Awful Adelaide! Maybe that would make it less Awful and more like Brilliant Brisbane or Stunning Sydney.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RopeyRuss

I have just joined this forum and have been in Adelaide for some five months now and this thread has been something of an eye opener for me.

To give some background, I work in the rail industry for a consultancy and I have moved under a 457 visa. The consultancy I work for is a subsidary of the UK HQ so I have been sponsored by them. If all goes well I plan to go for PR after two years.

I have managed to get rental accommodation pretty easily (I am in North of the city in Gilberton).

I haven't found the Adelaidians to be arrogant but then again I have not had much contact with them on a social basis other than at beer o'clock in the Lion Hotel on Friday's.

Regarding Adelaide itself, I was offered employment in Melbourne and Adelaide and chose Adelaide as it was more rural to suit my wife; we were in Staffordshire in the UK. I have to say I love it, we have the oval, festival centre, zoo, botanical gardens, O'Connell's and Melbourne Streets all within a half hour walk. A half hour drive takes us into stunning country and Mount lofty, Cleland and Gorge reserves and the wineries; I really do not need much more in life than that.

Regarding cost of living; yes it has been a shock to see the price of some things (alcohol especially) but over all it seems no more expensive than the UK.

After only five months I may still be in the "honeymoon period" but I cannot see myself moving back to the UK anytime soon.

In comparing SA to the likes of Sydney my only experience is working in Sydney for four months at the start of 2009. I actually found Sydney to be generally unfriendly and isolating. The reason for this being I was unaccompanied and in accommodation in the rocks, I worked out in the western suburbs most of the time. Going out for a quiet drink was almost impossible in Sydney, although I did use the Australian hotel a fair bit. In Sydney everyone is in one group or another and it is very difficult to break into them so you feel like an outsider.

This has been a longer ramble than I meant it to be but in summary:

• I am on a 457 visa which probably takes away some work pressures;
  • There is only my wife and I to consider;
  • We are in our fifties and do not need a large social scene;
  • I have found accommodation easily and have still got my own house in the UK;
  • We enjoy the simple pleasures in life;
  • We think the weather is fantastic.

So all in all Adelaide suits us to the ground.

I just hope that the UK is everything that Tracy and her family expect, things seem to be changing back there very quickly.

Guest Boxer

Hi folks, just thought I would put my ten cents worth in here. We (my parents and two older siblings) came out here when I was six (now 52!) as ten pound poms. I recall being in quarantine in an out of the way house in the Adelaide foothills somewhere while my chicken pox (contracted on the ship on the journey here) cleared up. A photo of me as a chubby six yo outside this house holding a rifle...yep! my parents were given this in case they needed it!!

I recall the rats and mice in the galv iron hostels that we had to live in until we settled. I also recall walking for miles with mum, while dad was out working, trying to find a house to buy. This took forever and eventually we found a temporary place to live until my parents bought their first home in Joslin. It was an old asbestos home (still there !!) that did us until the next move. All the time upgrading a little, as it was mums theory of getting up the ladder a little to find us a better life. They came from a country not long out of war, dad had been in a 'reserved occupation' during those rotten years and mum was pressed into service as a welder, which she did as her work here also. I often think of what it must have been like, welding chair frames in a factory in Brompton during our summers. Many times they must have had the same thoughts of going back...but they stuck to it. Much more water went under our bridge during this time, but I will not bore you to tears!

I can only hope that things are a little easier these days for those that arrive here.

And FULL MARKS to you for giving it a go...I don't know that I could do the same, as it is such a huge move and family pull. And after it all, I am the only one to really benefit and 'settle' and I put this down to being the youngest sibling. I believe it was harder for my older brother and sister , who, over the years, have returned numerous times, resulting in my brother, his wife and daughter going back there to live (gone now 15 years). My thought is that I hope you have given it sufficient time here. And if so, the bottom line is your happiness and sanity.

I think the grass IS greener (or the dust, dustier!) here, but it takes a long time to grow!!

Good luck with your move!