Advice Re.Banksia Park and/or Modbury

Guest Ric & Paula

Guest Ric & Paula

Hi,we are looking into relocating from the western suburbs to the NE and are interested in the Banksia,Redwood Park areas and Modbury.We have had a good drive around,but wondered if anyone(Diane:notworthy:),could give us any pointers.We have 3 children,who love where we are,so we need to get it right for them re.schools,we know we can't afford to buy here and need to move when our current lease expires in July.Is Banksia High recommended?We are attending an open at Modbury high next week,and are waiting to hear from banksia high,oue eldest is due to start high school in 18 months.We have contacted primaries and are waiting to arrange informal visits there.Any advice would be great re.these areas and schools,thanks in advance :unsure:

Hello!

I know Modbury High has a good reputation and know quite a few people who send their kids there and are very happy with it. See how you get on at the open day there, and if you have any questions after, let me know and I'll get one of the friendly Mums to answer them! I also know a couple of parents whose kids are at Banksia Park so likewise, have a look around and if you like the look of the place I can find out some more for you. The one young lady I know well who goes there is an excellent advertisement for the school (she's in Year 11 at the moment) so if that's any indication, then it seems good!

Wendy on here (Newlife) also lives up around Redwood Park way I think at the moment - and she's wonderful! - so might be worth a PM to her as well. She has younger kids too (she has LOTS of kids!) so will be able to point you in the right direction for primaries.

If you haven't already had a look at Northeast.net.au it's worth a browse for clubs etc. Also, contact Tea Tree Gully Council and ask them if they're doing their Going for Gold thing still in October (or ask at the library - same building as council) - I remember mine used to do this and it was wonderful: a chance to try out all the local sports clubs etc (mine tried tennis, gymnastics, hockey, soccer, karate, and there was irish dancing, basketball, netball.... loads of others too!). That reminds me - just near Banksia Park there is a great gymnastics club and a tennis club: always meant to join the tennis club but have never got round to it -the people there seemed so friendly.

Oh and when you're here, give us a shout - not had a girls night out for ages and well overdue for another visit to the Fox n Firkin in Tea Tree Gully!!

HTH

Guest Ric & Paula

Thanks Diane,I'll do all of the above especially the last one,Nikki and Helen had great time!!I've got visits to both High schools sorted for next week,and all the staff were so helpful,already getting good vibes!!Will keep you posted and many thanks,Paula

Hi,

As Diane has said I live in Redwood Park and think its a great suburb, very affordable housing with some still on big plots. 3 of my kids go to Redwood Park Primary which I have been told will have to be zoned soon as its very popular and is almost full. I personally am very happy with the school and all my children have settled well. I cant answer your question on High Schools as my eldest is still only 10, However I know people whose kids go to Banksia, Modbury and Modbury Heights and all speak well of these schools.

Guest Guest5035

great shopping, great schooling, great for kids, great for eating out, great recreation areas, newer suburbs, great transport available, and i live there.

stevo

great shopping, great schooling, great for kids, great for eating out, great recreation areas, newer suburbs, great transport available, and i live there.

stevo

All of which apply to all the suburbs mentioned ... apart from possibly the "newer" bit - but not everyone wants new - and the bit about you!:D

Guest Ric & Paula

Thanks Stevo and Wendy,am checking all over,but as yet I don't drive,so am checking autobahn accessibility and buses etc.I know sad but true but I will learn...Was concerned Greenwith may be a bit isolative,but am looking at a couple.Many thanks again,especially about primaries,my youngest is 5 and I'm most worried about uprooting her as she settled into Reception well.She's resilliant and it's amazing what the promise of a dog can achieve!!

Guest Guest5035

Where i live is a 5 minute walk from the Golden Grove village Shops and EVERYTHING is there, buses for o bahn, schools x 3, (no junior i think ), swimming, eating, you name it .

stevo

reception schools 4 nearby, 2 at wynn vale and 2 at greenwith and golden grove, high schools adjacent to shops, 2 private 1 state

Guest salisbury massive

I wouldn't rule out Greenwith. Its on all the bus routes and Greenwith Primary is very good. Its really an extension of Golden Grove and as Stevo says - has everything. I thought it was a little isolated but I live at Salisbury Heights next to Greenwith which is slightly further out and I don't think I'm out in the sticks at all. Also you are in the zone for Golden Grove High School which is a great school. Golden Grove, Greenwith and Wyne Vale are a little more expensive than the areas you have mentioned. We lived in Modbury north when we first came and i liked it a lot. its very central for everything and the further north they build the closer you become to town which increases house prices. i didn't have a very good experience with Modbury High and I took my eldest daughter out to another school. However this was 4 years ago now and all her friends that stayed are going well. Redwood Park is lovely, its still reasonably cheap with both newer and older houses. Banksia High has had its moments but i can't say I've heard anything bad about it for a long time. You could also look at Fairview park and Surrey Downs, both in proximity to Redwood and the High School is still Banksia. There are primaries at Fairview and Surrey Downs. Modbury has a few Primaries to choose from and I don't think I would recommend Modbury Primary but East Para and Modbury West are nice schools. Hope that helps.

Guest salisbury massive

Sorry I forgot to mention Modbury Heights, its all on one site Reception to year 12, separated in to 3 Campus. Great if you've got lots of kids as you only have to do one drop off when they get into High School. it has the only observatory in South Australia I believe and they also do the Ignite programme for gifted students. here is the website http://theheightsschool.com.au Modbury Heights is certainly a great area to look at to live in. Slightly more expensive than Modbury but not as expensive as Wynn Vale, Golden grove, Redwood and Greenwith.

Guest Ric & Paula

Thanks,never realised there were so many schools in Modbury!I'm going to Modbury south primary on Tuesday and Ridgehaven and Banksia high too.Thanks for the advice re.Modbury Heights,will see if they will squeeze us in perhaps.As with Modbury Heights,I saw Modbury Sth Primary was on the site with the high school,while we all get our bearings.Will keep you posted wish us luck!!Did check out Greenwith and Golden Grove but may be over our budget,will keep looking though.

Hi,we are looking into relocating from the western suburbs to the NE and are interested in the Banksia,Redwood Park areas and Modbury.We have had a good drive around,but wondered if anyone(Diane:notworthy:),could give us any pointers.We have 3 children,who love where we are,so we need to get it right for them re.schools,we know we can't afford to buy here and need to move when our current lease expires in July.Is Banksia High recommended?We are attending an open at Modbury high next week,and are waiting to hear from banksia high,oue eldest is due to start high school in 18 months.We have contacted primaries and are waiting to arrange informal visits there.Any advice would be great re.these areas and schools,thanks in advance :unsure:

We have been here for nearly two years and live at Banksia Park............ our three teenagers go to Banksia High School and they love it. We have found it to be a great High School...... and the staff are very approachable. Highly recommended.........go for a visit and a look around - we got that first all important good vibe when we had our first, second and third tour........ :biglaugh: well you just have to be 100% sure don't ya!

Also we have friends who have children at St Agnes Primary... they say it's good...but from the kids we see passing our house... and the outlook of the school we would say Banksia Primary looks pretty good aswell!!!

Best of luck guys...........

Guest salisbury massive

There are heaps of primaries in that area, I think maybe too many but here is a list for you to look at

Banksia Park Index - Banksia Park School R-7

East Para East Para Primary School - Department of Education and Children's Services

Fairview Park Fairview Park Primary School- Department of Education and Children's Services

Golden Grove Golden Grove Primary School

Greenwith Greenwith Primary School - Department of Education and Children's Services

Keithcot Farm Home

Modbury south Modbury South Primary School - Department of Education and children's Services School

Modbury West Index

Redwood Park Redwood Park Primary School Home

Ridgehaven Home

Surrey Downs Surrey Downs R-7 School- Department of Education and Children's Services

Wynn Vale Wynn Vale School

Modbury South is a fairly small school about 200 students, they are sandwiched inbetween Modbury High and Modbury Special School which caters for children with physical and mental disabilities. I don't know much about them and you said you were already going there so I left it off the list. The other area you could look at is Gulfview Heights, they have a lovely Primary school, quite small and lots to offer. http://www.ghps.sa.edu.au/ I'm not sure what the zones High School is though, maybe Salisbury East or Parafield Gardens.

Jo

Hi there!!:) I have lived in Modbury heights and now live in Modbury North about a 10 minutes walk thru a beautiful creek to the plaza, its a lovely quiet area (well my court is!!) with beautiful views of the hills, my boys go to Modbury heights and i think its a great school, they have the ignite program for gifted students do wakkairri, festival choir and peddle prix (to name a few!!) i have volunteered at the school and tho when you 1st see it it looks a bit rough around the edges it has a good heart, understanding teachers and a fantastic no bull bullying policy!! in my opinion i am very happy with it..at the moment!!

Guest Ric & Paula

Thanks again for all the positive views,we have a load of opens lined up for the weekend,saw a couple in Fairview Park the other night,lovely ares but too small house wise,so at least we know what to aim for.Looking forward to exploring a bit more Saturday and visiting the schools.Many thanks again for all your input .