Snakes vs Toddlers!!!

Guest Froglets

Guest Fat Boy Fat

There have been some dingos spotted up Port Augusta way. Beautiful animals but like foxes they will hunt for sport. The problem is people feeding them and then the dingos stop being scared of us.

Snakes are everywhere I have seen dozens including a couple in the middle of town, if you get one in your yard phone a catcher don't hit it with a spade you will just annoy it.

Spiders are just part of life if you keep your surface spray up to date you won't get many indoors. Huntsman are the really big ones with the legs set almost crab like which won't hurt you it's the red back or white tip you want to avoid, I have been bitten by a red back it hurt like hell for days.

The important thing to remember if you are new to South Australia is don't get it out of proportion you would be really unlucky to get bitten by anything, but if you do you can drink out on the story for weeks.

Forger the snakes, its the dingo's you need to worry about. They wont go for

an adult but a toddler is fair game. SA is hoaching with them but because they are our 'national man-eater', we arent allowed to say boo to them. Thank goodness my nipper is older and doesnt mind wearing his 'anti-dingo' aborigonal necklace

I am laughing so much at your message!!!!!! please let us know where we can buy the anti-dingo aborigonal necklace....:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest jmtomo

i think somone is taking the pee, we are in henley no snakes and defo no dingos' even when i was in port aigusta, which is rural i seen no dingo's, snakes or spiders definetly not in metro adelaide,

we have 4 boys, toddlers and no need for concern

jo

There seems to have been a fair amount of people not helping your fears about snakes. There are snakes here in SA. The likelihood of you seeing one is very slim. They are very shy creatures that will hide or scarper at the slightest hint of human movement. I spend a lot of time mountainbike riding in the bush around Adelaide and the Hills and still have yet to see a snake.

We live at Henley Beach and the dunes do have snakes, but again, still to see one. Any vibrations from human footsteps have them heading quickly in the other direction.

We do have a fair amount of redback spiders around our house, but again they are only a problem if you put part of your body into its web! I moved one out of our garage last week, and she was very placid. (the ones you see are all girls, the males are tiny and brown.)

As I said to my wife when we first got here, if it cant eat you or mate with you, it aint interested.

Dont worry, come over and enjoy yourself. Your son will love it. The nature is one of the best things about Australia.

Guest Squareman

The mickey taking came in after the first few replies which said everything there is to say on the matter. If toddlers were in any real danger, there wouldnt be too many people wanting to bring up kids here, would there?

Guest nicandchris

When i lived in all parts of australia i experienced lots of snakes and redbacks, huntsman etc but that was mainly in rural areas. Generally speaking i found that the animals/insects wouldnt bother you unless you interfered with them/annoyed them and redbacks especially were fine unless you actually put your hand into the nest which i woudnt suggest anyone to do.

However i didnt have a toddler with then nor pet dogs which i will have when we arrive next year, i think that its about trying to educate your toddler to respect all living things and to try and live alongside them rather than trying to kill everything in sight in case it bites you.

ps some posts on this link have really made me giggle, my one year old is a yorkshire baby and he makes me laugh already and has a good sense of humour - umm will he always be known as a yorkshire man or even think himself as a yorkshire man when he wont remember ever being there when he grows up - he'll think of himself as aussie! x

i think somone is taking the pee, we are in henley no snakes and defo no dingos' even when i was in port aigusta, which is rural i seen no dingo's, snakes or spiders definetly not in metro adelaide,

Lol! I think it's just a matter of different experiences - Fat Boy Fat knows an amazing amount on wildlife and has been in many situations where he has come face to face with snakes. As for the dingoes, they certainly seem to be in the region:

http://www.news.com.au/ideal-conditions-bring-fresh-dingo-threat/story-fn6bqphm-1226016483892?from=public_rss

I don't think any one should worry about snakes, spiders...or even dingoes lol!I think it's more a matter of being aware, alert and perhaps even know the relevant first aid? This page seems pretty clear and has links to a similar page on spider bites:

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=288&id=1647

Obviously there are more sightings in bush areas, long grass, where there's food, infrequently trodden areas etc. Most of us might never notice a snake cos they sure won't stick around given any kind of warning (footsteps etc). Spiders are no problem because even though they are way more common, I'm sure we all learn fair quick where they are most likely to be found!

Please don't worry, I think there is too much focus on all the potentially nasty things we co-exist with here and whilst we need to be informed, I reckon there's too much sensationalism attached. And if it were that bad there would be a much smaller population in SA!

:cute: LC

There's no getting away from the fact that Oz has some real nasties!

Thankfully we don't have them all down here in South Australia.

If you were going to live in Darwin...it would be time to get worried!

The 10 Most Dangerous Animals in Australia

As fascinating as Australia might be, the Land Down Under is not without dangers, especially when it comes to the rich fauna. When choosing to travel to Australia, be sure to consider all the continent has in store, especially poisonous or lethal animals.

box_jellyfish.jpg

1. The Box Jellyfish

One of the most extremely lethal animals in the world, and implicitly Australian, often found on the continent. Found on the coast alongside the Great Barrier Reef, the box jellyfish possesses an extremely powerful venom. The stings are terribly painful and often fatal.

Be sure to include a bottle of vinegar in your first aid kit if you’ll be traveling in areas abound with these jellyfish. Vinegar applied for 30 seconds to the sting, then removing the tentacles with a towel, will reduce the damage. But you will need to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

taipan.jpg

2. The Taipan

The taipan is a large, fast and highly venomous snake often found throughout Australia. The taipan has the most toxic venom out of all the species worldwide, has a dark brown color and is often found in sugar fields where it hunts for rats. The snake is usually found in the far north of Australia, in Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia, where the winter is mild. Taipan’s usually stay away from people but once cornered or threatened, they strike several times.

saltwatercrocodile.jpg

3. Saltwater Crocodile

The largest living member of the crocodilians and reptiles, the saltwater crocodile can grow up to 18 feet (5.45 meters) in length and is often found in Thailand, Vietnam and Northern Australia. They have been known to take on animals such an adult water buffalo and have often attacked people. It is usually well camouflaged both underwater or on dry land and strikes at an amazing speed. Its most powerful attack – the death roll – consists of grabbing its prey and rolling powerfully until it dies.

blue-ring-octopus.jpg

4. Blue Ring Octopus

Another serious threat for those that wish to explore the waters of Australia is the blue-ringed octopus – one of the most toxic sea creatures in the world found off the coast of Australia, New Guinea, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Even though the octopus is only the size of a golf ball, there is no known antidote for its powerful venom. It causes motor paralysis, eventually leading to cardiac arrest. First aid treatment consists of pressure on the wound and mouth-to-mouth breathing that can last for several hours.

5. Stone Fish

Known as the most venomous fish in the world, the stone fish lives on the bottom of the reefs, camouflaged as a rock. It lives above the Tropic of Capricorn but can be found in the Queensland Great Barrier Reef as well. It’s venom comes from the dorsal area, that is lined with 13 spines, causing shock, paralysis and tissue death depending on the severity of the sting. First aid consists of immobilizing the venom by bandaging the affected area then applying a hot compress. The pain is said to be so excruciating that it lead to amputating the affected limb.

red_back_spider.jpg

6. Red Back Spider

This species found all over the continent is Australia’s most famous deadly spider. The red striped spider has a neurotic venom that induces severe pain, however, deaths are rare. Thousands of people are bitten but only approximately 20% of the victims require treatment. Generally, the children and the elderly are the most exposed to the spider’s threat. This is one of the few spider species that displays sexual cannibalism while mating.

brown_snakea.jpg

7. Brown Snake

There are several types of brown snakes but the Pseudonaja is the genus commonly found in Australia. Known as one of Australia’s most deadly creatures, the brown snake has a venom which quickly kills if it goes untreated. Even young snakes are capable of delivering a fatal bite to humans.

tiger_snake.jpg

8. Tiger Snake

The tiger snake is another of the many venomous snakes found Australia, particularly in the southern regions. The striped snakes are not generally aggressive and retreat whenever they have the chance. The tiger snake is known as one of the deadliest snakes in the world. Although anti-venom is readily available, mortality rates are around 45% if the bite is left untreated. In most states, the species is protected and any harming or injuring lead to a fine of up to $4,000.

great_white_shark.jpg

9. Great White Shark

This exceptionally large shark known as the white death is known as world’s largest known predatory fish. They can be found in great numbers on the southern coasts of Australia and, even though they have often been depicted as fatal to humans, they do not target them as a prey. Many of the attacks we’re not fatal, the shark only performing test-biting, out of curiosity. Humans are not a good meal, considering the shark’s slow digestion compared to the human’s muscle to fat ratio.

funnel-web-spider.jpg

10. Funnel Web Spider

The darkly colored spiders resembling tarantulas have fangs and chelicerae with ample venom glands, that can even penetrate fingernails or shoes. They can be found in the eastern coast of Australia, New South Wales, Victoria or Queensland. First aid consists of applying a bandage and wrapping the bitten limb. As with other spiders, the main treatment is the anti-venom.

Guest Reenz

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but snakes hibernate underground from April to October, so there's at least 6 months of the year you won't have to worry about them. And there are always news reports in mid-late October announcing that snake season has begun (I'm sure these are prompted by the snake catcher companies, so people don't forget they exist!), so you'll always know when snakes are out and about.

For what it's worth, I've worked for years in bushland areas, and it's the only setting in which I've ever come across snakes, and only a handful of times at that. And they are always heading in the other direction - away from the big clumsy humans. Smart snakes they are too: in my experience, it's those two-legged critters that will always give you the most to worry about.:biglaugh:

For those who are interested in finding out more about snakes, and how lovely they really are (not kidding!), Geoff Coombe used to run very interesting Snake Awareness courses - a great way to learn about their habits and why they behave the way they do, and how to keep yourselves and your kids safe. He seems to not be running these any more alas, but has an online course available here:

http://lww.competency.com.au/default.aspx?page=public.screen&code=core.info

Also the museum in Adelaide (possibly it's called the Adelaide Museum but I'm not sure) runs great awareness courses for kids during the holidays. Give them a call and ask when you get here. It's a great museum too, and free.

I think every family migrating over should put this on there to do list.

We keep snakes here in the UK so we have to re educate our 2 little girls (4 & 7) as they are quite happy picking them up here. We will have to get it drummed into them to leave well alone in Aus so an awareness day like this is an excellent idea.

I've only ever seen one snake in the wild and that was up in tropical Queensland. Nearly trod on it in the dark! Never seen one in Adelaide, but always be careful in sandunes and long grass/scrub. That's why traditional bush wear is ankle boots (not sandals) so you don't get bitten by snakes! Saying that though, I have met someone who was bitten by a death adder whilst mowing his lawn up in Hawker in the Flinders Ranges. He was in hospital for 6 months, but lived to tell the tale. We have a lovely blue tongue lizard that lives in an empty pipe in the garden and the children love her (we call her Lizzie). In theory there shouldn't be any dingos south of the dog fence (which passes through the Flinders Ranges keeping them to the north and east) but obviously some have snuck through.

Here is a picture I took this weekend of some wildlife of the more cuddly kind. Or not! Ask Tyke about his crazy koala that went for him in his shed....

The dingo attacks are isolated, and like almost all animal attacks here are the result of human stupidity. The little girl in the recent case was not being watched closely by her parents who were too busy looking at the water if eye witness accounts are to be believed..... a nine year old boy was killed by dingos on Fraser Island in 2001. He ran when he saw the dingos, and they gave chase as pack animals do. Where were his parents? 1 kilometer down the beach. The answer was to cull around 30 of the only pure breed dingos left....ridiculous.

Negative animal/human encounters here are very few.

I see many animals while Im out riding, or when Im working in the desert and everytime I consider myself lucky to see animals in the place they should be instead of in a zoo.

Ive never felt threatened by an animal here yet. Even when face to face with an Emu (which are bloody massive by the way) on a riding trail. Like all animals, they just want to get away.

Come to Australia, and embrace its amazing wildlife- its one of the things that makes the country great.

A local, who refused to comment on our proposed house build..jpg