IELTS advice

Guest helene73

Guest helene73
Ok, IELTS done!

Found the listening, reading and writing sections easy, but as I feared, I got a little flustered and tongue-tied in the speaking test so now I have no idea how well I did. Ah well, it's done now, 2 weeks of waiting to go!

Don't worry you will have done fine :)

My speaking dude was apologising for it and said it was just a formality :)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest charlie&donna

Hi Mark, Helen;

well it was all abit mental wasnt it!

I was trying to work out which one was you Mark, I was sat 3 rows from the back, 2nd row from the left. Grey O'neill t-shirt.

Found the listening test ok, think I missed 1 question but had a guess at it anyway. Reading was equally the same, think I did ok on both of them.

The letter writing was quite interesting as I've done loads of writing that type of letter in recent months lol. The essay question was fairly easy to cover as well.

Speaking wise I just went on a roll, some bizzare questions though. Threw me a little when she said ok thats it test finished as I thought there was a group discussion bit, but thankfully not!

Two long weeks to wait as well. Doesnt help that I'm waiting on the Skills Assessment as well. Thats due back by the 11th October but have been checking twice a day, early in the morning (when its around 5pm there) and last thing at night (when its 8am-ish there).

Will either get to Adelaide and have the life we've been dreaming of..........................or end a neurotic basket case!

:)

Guest helene73
Hi Mark, Helen;

well it was all abit mental wasnt it!

I was trying to work out which one was you Mark, I was sat 3 rows from the back, 2nd row from the left. Grey O'neill t-shirt.

Found the listening test ok, think I missed 1 question but had a guess at it anyway. Reading was equally the same, think I did ok on both of them.

The letter writing was quite interesting as I've done loads of writing that type of letter in recent months lol. The essay question was fairly easy to cover as well.

Speaking wise I just went on a roll, some bizzare questions though. Threw me a little when she said ok thats it test finished as I thought there was a group discussion bit, but thankfully not!

Two long weeks to wait as well. Doesnt help that I'm waiting on the Skills Assessment as well. Thats due back by the 11th October but have been checking twice a day, early in the morning (when its around 5pm there) and last thing at night (when its 8am-ish there).

Will either get to Adelaide and have the life we've been dreaming of..........................or end a neurotic basket case!

:)

Hi did you get the governments and art essay question on your tests?

I thought this test was a doodle compared to my last one! If I can't pass this one I will never do it,

I was sat in my hotel room last night practicing like mad, I just hope I have done enough to keep my band scores up and get that 7 in writing, I will be a very happy lady if I have.

I can't wait to burn them chuffing books lol

Good luck guys we will have to post our results when they come, but I have a feeling we have all done it, especially after all the work we have put in :)

Guest MarK Jowett

Charlie - I was in the same row, but 2 from the front!

Helen - Yes, it was the same question about spending money on works of art. I decided it was easiest to say that governments should keep spending on art as it was easier to argue for. Think I did fine in it, however I may have waffled a bit!

Well fingers crossed we all do fine and get good post through in two weeks!

Guest helene73
Charlie - I was in the same row, but 2 from the front!

Helen - Yes, it was the same question about spending money on works of art. I decided it was easiest to say that governments should keep spending on art as it was easier to argue for. Think I did fine in it, however I may have waffled a bit!

Well fingers crossed we all do fine and get good post through in two weeks!

Mark that's the same tactic I took lol I waffled too.

The head examiner guy said that was the easiest test he had seen in a while!!! and told us we should be happy we hadn't sat the previous one as that was a killer.

I found that the listening and the reading one were ones I had practised before, the listening had been in reading format and the apartments in the reading was similar to a listening paper I had practiced so all good :)

Guest helene73
The apartment advertisements were a doddle! I will be very annoyed if i've fluffed getting 20visa points because of my speaking malfunction!

You wont have fluffed the speaking, you will come out with a 8 or 9, my examiner apologised about putting me through it saying it's only a formality for us native English speakers, we had a good giggle and a heated debate, just don't stress about it :)

You wont have fluffed the speaking, you will come out with a 8 or 9, my examiner apologised about putting me through it saying it's only a formality for us native English speakers, we had a good giggle and a heated debate, just don't stress about it :)

Hi Helene, hope it went well on saturday...it sounds like you breezed it!!!:biggrin:.Look forward to the results.....ready for the next step!!!x

Guest helene73
Hi Helene, hope it went well on saturday...it sounds like you breezed it!!!:biggrin:.Look forward to the results.....ready for the next step!!!x

Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

I am more than ready for the next step hurry up SA and open SS my visa has been waiting to be lodged since the end of April lol

How's everything with you? X

Guest guest8040

Aw Helene havent been on in ages (approaching 5 months wait for skills assessment to be returned!). I live near Sunderland and as you know did my test there and could have helped you with directions etc if I'd seen this! Fingers crossed for a good result

Keep your fingers crossed for me :)

I am more than ready for the next step hurry up SA and open SS my visa has been waiting to be lodged since the end of April lol

How's everything with you? X

I'll pm you xx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MarK Jowett

Congratulations Helen - i'm dead chuffed for you! Are you planning on Perth now - i've never been to WA before but all my friends that have say it's amazing!

I passed too! very happy as it gets me the extra 20 points I was hoping for!

Listening 9

Reading 8

Writing 8

Speaking 9

I'd always thought I could speak English, but I've always wanted to pass an exam just to make sure in case people had just been pretending to understand me for the last 30 odd years! :)

Guest helene73
Got level 8 overall-is that equivalent to 20 points then?

Why dont they just convert it to what the bloody requirement is!

No it isn't I am afraid for the extra 20 points you need 4 8's for 4 7's you get 10 points hope this helps.

Congratulations on your results :)

Guest helene73
Congratulations Helen - i'm dead chuffed for you! Are you planning on Perth now - i've never been to WA before but all my friends that have say it's amazing!

I passed too! very happy as it gets me the extra 20 points I was hoping for!

Listening 9

Reading 8

Writing 8

Speaking 9

I'd always thought I could speak English, but I've always wanted to pass an exam just to make sure in case people had just been pretending to understand me for the last 30 odd years! :)

Woooo hoooo dead chuffed for you Mark, get the champers out :)

We did it!!!

I am off to Perth, SA didn't want me, but hey WA is were I wanted to be so I am a very happy bunny :)

Good luck with everything Mark :)

Guest MarK Jowett

Hi Charlie, what was your break down? unfortunately you only have to mess up on one part of the test and it ruins your whole score - it should go off the overall score but who are we to argue! So you could get 9 - 9 - 9 - 6.5 and your actual score as far as DIAC are concerned is 6.5 and you wouldn't get any visa points! - stupid or what!

Looks like you were right about the speaking Helen - I was sure I'd flunked it :)

Guest MarK Jowett

Hi Driscoll, I didn't use any books - there are lots of websites listed in this thread that are very useful with samples and getting used to the format. I think the main thing to do is get used to the format so none of it comes as a suprise in the exam. Getting used to writing a letter and an essay that flows correctly is essential for the writing section, and the rest are common sense.