IELTS advice

Guest helene73

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest8040

Sitting filling in the form to book mine for 9th July. I'm thinking of winging it too (must be a northern thing) I'll work myself up into a manic frenzy if I start practising. I too talk a lot for a living although I'm not a hairdresser and I also have to read mindnumbingly boring papers for work and attend equally crappy conferences so I'm hoping I can listen and read effectively no matter how dire the topic is. Just got to scrape £115 together from somewhere now.....might check the magical money tree in the garden. Good luck, I'll let you know what it's like and if you need to do last minute cramming because winging it didn't work!

Guest helene73
Sitting filling in the form to book mine for 9th July. I'm thinking of winging it too (must be a northern thing) I'll work myself up into a manic frenzy if I start practising. I too talk a lot for a living although I'm not a hairdresser and I also have to read mindnumbingly boring papers for work and attend equally crappy conferences so I'm hoping I can listen and read effectively no matter how dire the topic is. Just got to scrape £115 together from somewhere now.....might check the magical money tree in the garden. Good luck, I'll let you know what it's like and if you need to do last minute cramming because winging it didn't work!

Where are you doing yours? I could not get a date up north before 30th July there seemed to be loads before for the academic one but I just need the basic one phew, Just waiting to hear if I have got that date now. I just bunged the cost on the work credit card I will see if I can get that one by the taxman lol :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Guest guest8040

Asked to book for Sunderland for 30th July and they said they had a cancellation for the 9th as long as I get the stuff to them before Friday :o

Guest Fran x

Ha ha this may have been my cancelation as I had to change my date luckily I got the 25 th of June, are you from Sunderland? It's Such a small world we live in.

Fran x

Guest guest8040

Haha how funny Fran! you can give me heads up on what's its like then ;) I live in county Durham but am originally from Sunderland what about you?

Guest Fran x

Of course I will, I'm sure we will all be fine,yeah I live in Sunderland so not far for me to go. I defiantly think you will be fine as you have alot of everyday reading and writing for me its a case of refreshing my English and I found the listening tests a bit teicky but I'm improving ha!

Guest helene73
Asked to book for Sunderland for 30th July and they said they had a cancellation for the 9th as long as I get the stuff to them before Friday :o

Wow that's great my lot in York weren't that helpful, can't believe that in the age of computers you have to download the dam form the fill it in and post it!!!

Let me know how you get on and I have everything crossed for you :)

Hey hun, my hubby had to do the IELTS last year. He signed up to one of the ielts training websites online. It gave you tips/clues and then lots of examples on each part. He was bricking it, have never seen him so nervous. He did an hour on the training most nights and ended up getting a 7 in each part. He said it's simpler than you think but it helped to know what exactly it is they are looking for, once you figured it out it was no problem xx

Hi helene, I presume you are sitting the general test?

The best advice I could give you would be...

Listening - Just listen with the pace of the man who is speaking and follow along with your test paper - dont be tempted to zoom ahead. The answers are progressive and in conjunction with the speaker and test paper.

Reading - Timing is key. I think you get so many questions in so much time. Give yourself e.g 5 mins per question to enable you answer e,g 40 questions. Work that out and take your watch in. Concentrate and search for the answers.

Speaking - This is o.k, just articulate to the questions they ask keep going as you have to speak for a minimum period of time. Hope this helps, you'll be fine.

Hi Helene

I took my IELTS last year in Sheffield and was pooing my pants, particually as my boyfriend past it no probs (hes academic im not!!) but i passed and if i can anyone can. My speaking exam was about buying an item and what made me buy it and then the examiner asked me about advertising. A friend got asked about libraries (they have probably taken that question out as there won't be any soon)

Just practice practice practice and treat yourself to a bottle of fizz afterwards Good luck Michelle x

Guest helene73
Hi Helene

I took my IELTS last year in Sheffield and was pooing my pants, particually as my boyfriend past it no probs (hes academic im not!!) but i passed and if i can anyone can. My speaking exam was about buying an item and what made me buy it and then the examiner asked me about advertising. A friend got asked about libraries (they have probably taken that question out as there won't be any soon)

Just practice practice practice and treat yourself to a bottle of fizz afterwards Good luck Michelle x

Thanks Michelle :)

Think I a going to need a stiff drink after it lol x

Guest Adelaide_bound
Hi Shaun,

it cost me £130 for the Academic test in B'ham..

Sue

Then they ripped you off - its £115!! (I would phone them and ask why they charge £15 more than everyone else, and £15 more than IELTS recommend). Chancers! (I am not going to miss the Midlands, thats for sure!)

:sad:Been taking look on various centres and they range from £112 in guilford & cambridge to £135 in brighton but will get in touch and ask, unless it's to do with amount of applicants on day (which is no excuse i know) as there were over 200 people on the day i went i was told, all split up into classrooms of 25 people. I just hope i don't have to go through it again:sad:

Guest helene73
:sad:Been taking look on various centres and they range from £112 in guilford & cambridge to £135 in brighton but will get in touch and ask, unless it's to do with amount of applicants on day (which is no excuse i know) as there were over 200 people on the day i went i was told, all split up into classrooms of 25 people. I just hope i don't have to go through it again:sad:

You will be fine i doubt you will have to go through it again! Keep positive :) x

Guest Adelaide_bound
Ive been told by my agent just to take the general test not the academic and it was £115 maybe the academic is more?

I took the academic, at £115 (and only down the road from Brum, in Coventry).

That seriously sucks if they are charging whatever they want - I guess certain centres will loose out, as availability seems to be the same really everywhere (not great lol), and especially around here, with Birmingham, Coventry and Rugby all within about 50 mins of each other max, I can't see how they can justify it.