IELTS advice

Guest helene73

Guest lnother
Hi guys I am going to sit IELTS I am not taking any chances with the new points system as I have seen a couple of different versions and on one I score the 65 and another only 60 I figure it's better to have another 10 points banked incase!!

Has anyone any advice or tips for passing the dam thing as I am more arty than academic and I am pooing my pants!!!

I know I may be putting myself through uneccesary stress but I ain't gonna miss out this time!!! :)

Thanks in-advance :)

(and if you haven't noticed my spelling is atrocious lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Hi Helene, I sat mine in Dec. I wouldn't say it was easy, and I think the best advice is to practice. That way you can concentrate on the contents of test and not on the mechanics. As others have said with English as your first language, and a bit of practice, you should be fine. I think I threw my book out, but I will double check.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Adelaide_bound
basic and academic?

General and academic - both give you either 5 points if you get 7 across the board, and 10 points if you get 8 across the board, but most people only have to do the general, the academic version is for specific jobs (nursing being one of them, but there are only a couple) and for if you are an international student wanting to do a degree etc

Most people will do the general version - the difference is in the writing and reading bits - for the general you write a letter and then do an argument bit, for the academic you have to analyse a graph or chart then the argument bit for the writing and for the reading the academic has a more academic slant to some of the reading.

I did the academic as I think I might have to have academic for my teacher registration (I have received conflicted answers from various different Australian Gov places on this one) and even if I don't the academic will be accepted if I only need the general, but if I needed the academic and I had only taken the general it would not be accepted.

For most people though, the general is fine.

Guest helene73

Jesus Christ just started studying the reading bit it just looks like one big trick question, got hubby studying now so he cam tell what to do hehehe

Guest kenco
Hi guys I am going to sit IELTS I am not taking any chances with the new points system as I have seen a couple of different versions and on one I score the 65 and another only 60 I figure it's better to have another 10 points banked incase!!

Has anyone any advice or tips for passing the dam thing as I am more arty than academic and I am pooing my pants!!!

I know I may be putting myself through uneccesary stress but I ain't gonna miss out this time!!! :)

Thanks in-advance :)

(and if you haven't noticed my spelling is atrocious lol)

is this the same as oet test i beleive it is where have you seen different versions ?/

Guest kenco
General and academic - both give you either 5 points if you get 7 across the board, and 10 points if you get 8 across the board, but most people only have to do the general, the academic version is for specific jobs (nursing being one of them, but there are only a couple) and for if you are an international student wanting to do a degree etc

Most people will do the general version - the difference is in the writing and reading bits - for the general you write a letter and then do an argument bit, for the academic you have to analyse a graph or chart then the argument bit for the writing and for the reading the academic has a more academic slant to some of the reading.

I did the academic as I think I might have to have academic for my teacher registration (I have received conflicted answers from various different Australian Gov places on this one) and even if I don't the academic will be accepted if I only need the general, but if I needed the academic and I had only taken the general it would not be accepted.

For most people though, the general is fine.

hi i am a nurse and have chosen the oet the 4 aspects do you know what points it will gain me ? as i an aged 5o and struggling to gain points ??

Guest helene73
is this the same as oet test i beleive it is where have you seen different versions ?/

I have been sitting practice papers online I also have 2 books with papers and audio cd's that give tips and advice on how to pass, not that it is working I am doomed on the reading section, everyone I have shown the tests to interpret the questions differently and have different answers!!!

Good luck with your test :)

Guest shellymc

Hiya Helene

I've got my test booked for the 30th July in Liverpool, I'm so sh@*ing myself LOL. Where did you get the books and audio cds from if you don't mind me asking.

Shelly x

I have been sitting practice papers online I also have 2 books with papers and audio cd's that give tips and advice on how to pass, not that it is working I am doomed on the reading section, everyone I have shown the tests to interpret the questions differently and have different answers!!!

Good luck with your test :)

Guest helene73
Hiya Helene

I've got my test booked for the 30th July in Liverpool, I'm so sh@*ing myself LOL. Where did you get the books and audio cds from if you don't mind me asking.

Shelly x

Hi there shelly I hope your well, are you going for SA SS again or sticking with your sister plan?

I got the books from waterstones they had a great selection :) I am scared too have you tried the online tests?

Good luck sounds like we both need it lol xxx

Guest vicky_1970

I'm sure you'll both be fine. Like I said before the best advice I was given was to practice and READ the question (The clues are in the question) !! I think you can read too much into them so keep it simple. Remember they are predominantly based at people who are not English speakers.

You are definately doing the right thing by using the IELTS books - I found them to be really helpful - I bough a couple with no cd and got 2 with cds from the library.

Fingers crossed for both of you x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ozfish

:eek:Thanks Helene for your posts, I'm taking my IELTS this saturday and panicking lots now!!!I've tried to practice, timing myself to keep withing the 20 mins for each reading section and 20 mins n 40 mins for the writing....its just what will come up on the day??? can anybody tell me~ are all the questions and reading passages on paper??...i find it really difficult when looking at the passage on a computer screen and answering the questions on paper!!!

Roll on saturday!!!:wacko:

Guest helene73
:eek:Thanks Helene for your posts, I'm taking my IELTS this saturday and panicking lots now!!!I've tried to practice, timing myself to keep withing the 20 mins for each reading section and 20 mins n 40 mins for the writing....its just what will come up on the day??? can anybody tell me~ are all the questions and reading passages on paper??...i find it really difficult when looking at the passage on a computer screen and answering the questions on paper!!!

Roll on saturday!!!:wacko:

Good luck on Saturday :)

I believe it's all paper based :)

Guest ozfish

Hi I'm sitting at Leeds, and really worrying about it~ trying to look at all angles, you tube for tips as well as the cambridge books!..I hope i pass after all this!, I haven't applied for the skills assessments until I pass this...don't want to fork out too much unnecessarily!!! If i pass then I will set the wheels in motion!:wideeyed:

Where are you sitting it?

I do mine 30 July :( I am pantsing it lol

Let me know how you get on :) x

Guest helene73

Mines in York, I have to pass have the Cambridge book and another one ,apps for my phone you name it I am doing it, my life has been taken over by it lol

On the reading if I am doubt I am applying the answer not given seems to be working I am also trying not to over read into the question!!! X

Guest ozfish

Yep, that sounds familiar! just trying to practice the writing at the moment...the graphs seem straight forward~ interpreting information, but the task 2 is another matter.I'm trying to work with the plan~1)paraphrase the question, 2) overview of noticable features,3) 2 paragraphs of specific features or info,4) conclusion, hopefully this will be 250 words!!!:goofy:

Mines in York, I have to pass have the Cambridge book and another one ,apps for my phone you name it I am doing it, my life has been taken over by it lol

On the reading if I am doubt I am applying the answer not given seems to be working I am also trying not to over read into the question!!! X