Guest Little_Mudblood

Needing info on quarantine

Guest Little_Mudblood

I have a west highland white terrier and I am worried about him being in quarantine. He is quite skittish and doesn't really like people. What sort of stuff will they do to him in quarantine?

Why don't you give the quarantine a call or email to discuss with them. You can ask all your questions and hear direct. Might help you get a good idea of what goes in there.

Guest mimasawrus

Hi There,

We arrived in Oz in 2009 and we brought 3 dogs with us, my sausage dog is partially disabled because she has nerve damage to her spine. All 3 dogs stayed at Spotswood Melbourne quarantine centre and were looked after exceptionally. I phoned every day to ask about them and I got full reports every day from the staff, they still exercised my sausage dog even though it takes a while, and they came out after the 30 days, no worse for the experience. I hope this helps. Good luck

Laura

We brought our seven-year-old boxer with us. He had only ever been in one 'kennels' in the UK before - very bad experience and lost so much weight there. We feared the worst.

We were so happy following his stay in Melbourne - he had obviously been well looked after, fed and exercised well. No problems whatsoever.

Put your mind at rest - he will be fine - the only pain you feel will be in your hip pocket.

Guest Little_Mudblood

Thanks very much everyone. That's certainly put my mind at rest.

Guest Aldo12
    Thanks very much everyone. That's certainly put my mind at rest.

Hiya, I know this post is a little old, however I would like to know how your westie coped ? I also have a westie and would describe him the same as yours, he has never been to a kennel and totally spoilt !

how did yours cope ?

Thanks

We too are hoping bring our dogs Cavalier Spaniel will be 5 and Maltese Terrier x ****zu who will be 2 and also are worried about time they spend in quarantine as our Princesses have never been kennelled but alteast they will be together and help each other in that way and is Melbourne best place to send them?

My bichon had never been in kennels. Was totally spoilt, went everywhere with us etc.

When she came out of quarantine she had lost her bark. It took MONTHS to come back. She also has runny eyes as her fur tends to stick to her eyeballs. I did let them know before hand that they needed to get it off at least twice a day. It didn't look like they had done it at all when she got to us, and she ended up with an eye infection.

We didn't go for a dog walker as we figured they would give her some excersise. Turns out every time we phoned they had been too busy. If I were to do it again I'd pay for someone to excersise her.

Ps, other than not wanting to go back in her crate to get her toy, she jumped in the car when we picked her up and settled down as if she had never been anywhere. I think we were far more traumatised than her. :-)

My boxer was fine in quarantine. I know a vet checks them as soon as they get to the kennels and you can ring up and get updates. Apart from being a bit smelly and losing a bit of weight (which did him no harm) our boy was none the worst from the experience.