Veg

ajford

Hi all, I want to grow some veg I used to do it in the uk, with the seasons being different over here don't know when to start. I fancy staring with spuds does anyone know where I can buy spud tubers from and when the best time to plant them is.

We live in seaford so need somewhere not to far to buy them from.

all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

I think you have missed the time for spuds. Go into Bunnings have a look about in the garden section they will have seedlings that are in season just now for planting. Just watch where you plant some areas in Adelaide have contaminated soil bits of west lakes had a scare a few years back and were advised not to eat any veg they had grown

Guest SA Great

Thats right Ian. Also parts of the Port (Newport Quays I think).

I think you have missed the time for spuds. Go into Bunnings have a look about in the garden section they will have seedlings that are in season just now for planting. Just watch where you plant some areas in Adelaide have contaminated soil bits of west lakes had a scare a few years back and were advised not to eat any veg they had grown

Guest yogi64

I grow loads of my own stuff, toms, chilli, capsicum, herbs, apples, apricots, plums, peaches, nectarines, lemons, grapes and walnuts.

This year i'll also be planting lettuce, shallots, beans, pumpkin, corn, rhubarb, passion fruit and oranges.

Mike

Wow.........your garden sounds amazing!

As a keen allotment holder in the UK I am keen to get back to it when we are settled and have been researching what to grow etc. Buy a book from a garden centre which will give you the best seasons etc for growing...

our UK garden has many different fruit trees and bushes and we are excited about planting and growing the things that we can't grow here due to the climate...

Good luck on the veg front ... I imagine that there are some pretty spectacular bugs there to eat the produce so you better get some spray!

First year we were here we grew courgettes (sorry "zucchini"), aubergines (sorry "eggplants"), red peppers (sorry "capsicums"), melons (rock melons I think) and tomatoes - but we were lucky that our neighbour, who is slightly uphill from us, has an automatic watering system which kept them alive for us while we were on holiday oveer Christmas! Now we have a lemon tree, a lime tree and a mandarin tree (great year for mandarins this year, because of our wettere than normal summer), and our neighbours grow apples and peaches which they sometimes share with us :notworthy:.

In the park by us are plums, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pears, figs, mulberries, and many types of citrus, including something that's like a cross between a lemon and a tangerine - made great marmalade! Many parts of the Torrens Linear Park used to be market gardens, so the fruit trees are left over from then. Oh, there are also lots of field mushrooms growing there, but I've never plucked up courage to actually pick and eat them - plenty of people do though! In pots at the moment we have a magnificent crop of chillis which seem to grow really easily here. I've just planted a pineapple top which seems to be growing happily (but apparently can take over a year to crop) and want to put some raspberry canes in if I can get some.