Applying for jobs from the UK

Guest maxfactornackerlacker

Guest maxfactornackerlacker

I have just started applying for jobs in Adelaide, although I am still in the UK. I am curious as to how many people have managed to secure jobs like this before they got over there ?

I am a supply chain operations manager, and my wife is a hairdresser. Basically, we are planning to go out to Adelaide in January 2013, if we have not secured a job before then. If we do manage to secure a job before then, we will leave immediately !

I have looked on 'seek', and a few other recruitment sites. I have applied for numerous roles, although I am a little pessamistic about the chances of employers taking me seriously as i am not in the country yet. I do accept that I would probably frown at recruiting someone who wasn't even in the country, espescially as the best we could do would be a telephone interview ?

Anyway, has anyone experienced this issue, and what might be the best plan of action?

ny help would be really appreciated,as we are desperate to get out there as soon as we can.

max

Hi, we were advised not to bother applying for jobs in the UK, were told Adelaide was very much a networking place and employers would want to meet us.

We have different careers, but wouldn't have stood a chance from UK, too many other people already here, so as you point out, why employ someone not in Aus. Some people do manage to secure jobs, but they usually seem to hate them and leave quicky, so its probably a case of premium employers recruit locally.

The good news is your wifes a hairdresser, we've seen so many jobs for hairdressers here, I will bet she finds work first. They earn enough for 2 people to live on, at least while your searching. Some may disagree, but I would run with, keep an eye on jobs but don't apply, focus on UK end, and try and give yourself as bigger cushion $ wise as you possibly can. Good luck.

Unless you are in a profession that's highly in demand, then I wouldn't bother. There are so many people looking for work at the moment that are already here they won't even get past reading your location. Keep looking on seek to get an idea of who is hiring and what they are willing to pay so you have a better knowledge when you get here, but wouldn't waste your time and effort in actually submitting applications. Good luck though.

I also tried to apply for jobs from the UK but had no responses at all. My background is FMCG marketing and public relations. Since coming to Adelaide I have worked for State and Federal Govt in communications roles - all casual, and also a New Zealand holiday company as a data entry clerk. In fact, in 2.5 years I have only worked for 15 months total. I have had interviews for longer contracts and permanent jobs but not been successful. Not sure if it is me or the temporary visa that puts them off... Very different to what I expected... Do you work in food supply? There are a few SA companies you could try including Haighs, Drake (Foodland), San Remo etc. when you get here. Often it is not what you know but who you know and until you build that network it can be difficult to get the cream of the jobs.

You may be better off signing up for a few agencies when you arrive to try to get a casual job to start you off. Weststaff and Skilled are both pretty good. January is practically a shut down for most industries so don't expect to hear anything about jobs until well into February when people get back to work.

There is definitely a shortage of hairdressers and quite a high turnover of staff because they don't have trouble getting jobs elsewhere. Not sure it pays that well though from what I have heard - my hairdresser told me :-) It is therefore difficult to get reliable workers. Not sure why but there seems to be very few mobile hairdressers - I had one in the UK and she was great. It would make sense to me to have my nails done or a pedicure at the same time when I visit the hairdresser but they tell me this isn't allowed - health and safety. You will find some of the rules and regs here very bizarre.

I am admitting defeat on the job front and heading back to the UK later this year - possibly sooner rather than later if I don't get a job soon. A shame but I have traded in my rose tinted glasses and had a reality check...

Hi my OH applied for lots of jobs before we got here. No luck from any of them but they did tell him to get in touch when he arrived. This is what he did and was offered jobs with a couple of them. You may not get the jobs but it could give you some contacts over here for when you arrive.

Lisa

We're still in the UK and my husband has just been offered a job. He is an Australan citizen though and he applied direct to the employer and not through an agency. He only applied for two jobs (the other was put on hold), but both jobs were ones he thought were intersting and matched his skill set closely and he spent a long time on the applications. I think this is what helped his application to stand out from the crowd and secured him an interview.

In case anyone's wondering he works in IT.

Guest teamV

I've managed to have 3 job offer's while still in the Uk ,all on the back of emailing the company's direct ,Ive had no luck with agents.

Kev.

Guest duggy281
I've managed to have 3 job offer's while still in the Uk ,all on the back of emailing the company's direct ,Ive had no luck with agents.

Kev.

Hi team v d on you mind if I ask what you do for a living ?

moving out myself on the 22 may and been applying for jobs had plenty replies

saying contact on arrival but no offers

duggy281 (electrician)

Guest teamV
Hi team v d on you mind if I ask what you do for a living ?

moving out myself on the 22 may and been applying for jobs had plenty replies

saying contact on arrival but no offers

duggy281 (electrician)

Its no problem ,I'm a diesel or truck mechanic ,I think for the first time in my live I've got an in demand job,I think mainly due to the younger lads taking up the mining jobs and people like me filling the jobs they have left or would have filled ,sorry if thats no help to you.

Kev,

Guest duggy281
Its no problem ,I'm a diesel or truck mechanic ,I think for the first time in my live I've got an in demand job,I think mainly due to the younger lads taking up the mining jobs and people like me filling the jobs they have left or would have filled ,sorry if thats no help to you.

Kev,

Hi Kev.

cheers for replying great news your trade is in demand all over oz from what I have read.

You don't need a labourer do you lol.

when do you move out and are you ready for it.

we fly out on the 23rd may and getting a little nervous now.( mainly about the work situation)

Good luck and maybe see you there.

Dean.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can anyone tell us what the job situation is like for CNC Setters at the moment. We have completed medicals and police checks and are hoping to find work before flying out - but keep hearing that jobs are in short supply.

If there are any cnc setters/operators who could give us any advice or cv templates we could use to help us apply for jobs. Or if you could perhaps let us know how the jobs are out there at the moment for setters/operators.

I've had a couple of responses and two have asked me to contact them when I arrive. I don't how serious this contacting offer is but its better than sitting down and doing nothing. Hope all of you secure a job prior to your arrival.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

I have made a spreadsheet of all the recruitment contacts I have made online and what responses I've had - next steps to take closer to the time etc (hoping to move Jan next yr). Was a bit gutted as the company I work for have a job going, starting June and the HR manager offered me an interview. Really disappointed that it's just going to be impossible with the timings. :sad:

Hi, can anyone tell us what the job situation is like for CNC Setters at the moment. We have completed medicals and police checks and are hoping to find work before flying out - but keep hearing that jobs are in short supply.

If there are any cnc setters/operators who could give us any advice or cv templates we could use to help us apply for jobs. Or if you could perhaps let us know how the jobs are out there at the moment for setters/operators.

There is a job in todays job paper for an Advanced CNC Machine Setter/Operator at Laser World Technologies. I have tried looking on their website but it looks like it has been hacked into!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit more upbeat about the job scenario now. I have contact with several recruitment companies and my current company and it looks like I may be able to start looking at interviews via skype from around September time if I'm moving out in January.

I'm praying I can land something before the move is made - how much stress would that relieve!

Guest gilksy

We are also looking for sponsored work, we are sending cv's around companies hoping to get some interest. We are also in the uk and anything is worth a shot if it means we get there in the end. good luck keep trying.

Gilksy