catherine.c

Darwin and 4WD car hire query

We are thinking of hiring a 4 wheel drive camper whilst in Darwin so that we can see Kakadu, Katherine Gorge etc. Britz have some reasonable prices for vehicles but the insurance excess seems ridiculously high ($75 a day). If you do not take out excess cover then you need to make a credit card payment of $7500 to cover possible costs of an accident / recovery. Does anyone know whether travel insurance or own car insurance covers you for the use of hired vehicles? Any other ideas?

Also does anyone know any 'must see' areas in Darwin / surrounds?

Thanks

Catherine

When we hired a 4 wheel drive vehicle from Darwin a few years ago, we were specifically excluded from taking the vehicle onto a dirt road. (and there are lots around there).

The hire rate for that was reasonable and so was the additional insurance, but we book through a consolidator. Have you tried through the RAA site?

I would take the cover if I were you.

I have just travelled to Darwin from Broome and wasnt very impressed with what I saw.

We didn't go 4wd as we had a caravan in tow . In my opinion I liked travelling up the west coast better. Everyone is different .

Lots of things to do around Darwin

Hand feeding the fish at Aquascene

Croc spotting / feeding on the Adelaide River

East Point Military museum / Aviation Museum / any number of WW2 sites / airfields etc.

Territory Wildlife Park

Duck Tours around the bay and city (amphibious vehicles)

Litchfield National Park

Can't advise on Insurance, we've had Britz vehicles from Darwin twice (to Alice & to Brisbane) but have always taken out their cover.

I'm sure you can get travel insurance to cover the excess, but I'm sure if you don't take out theirs then you still have to place a hold on your card for $7500

I would take the cover if I were you.

I have just travelled to Darwin from Broome and wasnt very impressed with what I saw.

We didn't go 4wd as we had a caravan in tow . In my opinion I liked travelling up the west coast better. Everyone is different .

Where did you drive on the west coast and what did you like about it? It could join my list of things to do and places to visit!

I don't know if it covers 4WDs but we have a credit card that provides cover for car hire excess reduction - have a look here http://www.anz.com/personal/credit-cards/existing-card-holders/platinum-cards/anz/changes/ at the Car Rental Cover section. You have to pay an annual card fee, but it does give overseas travel insurance as well so for us it was worth it

Just an idea to avoid getting hit with a huge amount per day to reduce the excess why not look at travel insurance to cover the period of your rental? It will cover your rental among other things and is much less than the daily excess.

I'm going to rent a car for a month and for that period of time $25 or so a day to waive the excess is a bit much so I checked in here - http://www.1cover.com.au/ - much better!

Edited by Royd