Moving to Adelaide-Feb/March 2013!!(Anyone living nr Semaphore,Henley,West Lakes?)

Guest Leanne

Hi there to all Poms in Adelaide and to all those making the big move! :)

I'm Leanne. Myself, my husband and our 3 year old little boy are hoping to arrive Feb/march time next year, all being well with Visa's etc!!

V exciting and daunting to be 'starting all over again' somewhere alien to us! So very much wanting to make connections with like minded people!

Have many many questions! (but will start with easy one!)

My husband has been offered a job in Burton (north of Adelaide) which limits where we can live as he doesn't want a hellish commute. I've noticed looking at some of the threads that a lot of poms seem to settle around Port Noarlunga, or surrounding areas! Which is a massive shame for us as this is miles away from where we could live! (It does look beautiful tho!)

We have been looking at Semaphore, West Lakes, Henley and really the cost line north of the airport.

Are there any/many Poms out there that live around these areas..?? and if so, what do you think of the areas? Also, what are the schools and nurseries/play groups like etc..?

Many super duper thanks!!!

Speak again soon

Leanne x :)

Guest MAMAWORLD3

Hi Leanne, we are also moving to Oz in April/May time and my OH will be working in Salisbury Plain. I have also been looking NE around Golden Grove, Tea tree area. I did look North but it looked a little industrialised and too close to the airport. After plenty of googling we have decided to rent for 4 weeks and have a good look around the East coast. The coast does look amazing but millions of tourists flock every year and that put us off. I prefer the surburbia close to parks and the town and a 30min drive to the coast.

Have you looked at Glenelg its really nice but pricey, close by is Glengowrie and thats a more family community with plenty groups and interests. Its still only a short drive to the beach. Its really hard to judge anywhere until you go I think. I am hoping to live close to a good Primary that has a good amenities and parks. I have 3 children 7,6,3 and they have a very active life in Bolton so Im hoping to get them into clubs and continue their interests. The schools look good and children dont start full time ed until they are 6.

There is so much to consider and im sure it will be great! (except the flight!!)

Regards

Guest jones1541

Hi Leanne

We are also making the move feb/march, never been there before, so exciting and scary at the same time. We initially researched port norlunga and surrounding areas (looks beautifull) but the commute was too long for me. We are now looking at east to north east of adelaide!

Claire

Hi Leanne, we are also moving to Oz in April/May time and my OH will be working in Salisbury Plain. I have also been looking NE around Golden Grove, Tea tree area. I did look North but it looked a little industrialised and too close to the airport. After plenty of googling we have decided to rent for 4 weeks and have a good look around the East coast. The coast does look amazing but millions of tourists flock every year and that put us off. I prefer the surburbia close to parks and the town and a 30min drive to the coast.

Have you looked at Glenelg its really nice but pricey, close by is Glengowrie and thats a more family community with plenty groups and interests. Its still only a short drive to the beach. Its really hard to judge anywhere until you go I think. I am hoping to live close to a good Primary that has a good amenities and parks. I have 3 children 7,6,3 and they have a very active life in Bolton so Im hoping to get them into clubs and continue their interests. The schools look good and children dont start full time ed until they are 6.

There is so much to consider and im sure it will be great! (except the flight!!)

Regards

Umm, there is no coast on the east. Glenelg is west of Adelaide.

Hi there to all Poms in Adelaide and to all those making the big move! :)

I'm Leanne. Myself, my husband and our 3 year old little boy are hoping to arrive Feb/march time next year, all being well with Visa's etc!!

V exciting and daunting to be 'starting all over again' somewhere alien to us! So very much wanting to make connections with like minded people!

Have many many questions! (but will start with easy one!)

My husband has been offered a job in Burton (north of Adelaide) which limits where we can live as he doesn't want a hellish commute. I've noticed looking at some of the threads that a lot of poms seem to settle around Port Noarlunga, or surrounding areas! Which is a massive shame for us as this is miles away from where we could live! (It does look beautiful tho!)

We have been looking at Semaphore, West Lakes, Henley and really the cost line north of the airport.

Are there any/many Poms out there that live around these areas..?? and if so, what do you think of the areas? Also, what are the schools and nurseries/play groups like etc..?

Many super duper thanks!!!

Speak again soon

Leanne x :)

Hi Leanne

Burton is quite far North if Adelaide so even Henley Beach might be a bit far to commute. You are probably looking at about 30-40 minutes from West Lakes and Semaphore to Burton and Henley is another 10 minutes on top. Henley Beach is nice, as is Grange which is a bit further up, but I don't know West Lakes and Semaphore that well. I believe there are people on here that live in those areas so hopefully they will be along later to provide more insite.

For looking at schools in the area check out the myschools website. This will give you information on what schools there are, zoning and there is also a link to the Naplan results.

Guest Shandalina

Hi Leanne,

We have just received our Visa and are flying out in Jan 2013. We are going to focus on North East Adelaide, around the area of Highbury as it has a very good primary school. The commute into CBD is about 30 mins via cycling , but is also close to the Adelaide Hills if we fancy a bit of roaming around with the kids.The beach is also within easy driving distance. All the best going forward - I know what a long and hard decision it can be!

Hi Leanne, we live on the border of Semaphore. Not been here too long and so still settling in but really like the area. The beach is lovely and there are some decent shops, cafes, restaurants nearby and other amenities. It's great for young kids with lots of parks and play areas. West Lakes is also a nice spot as is Henley although don't really know there too well. We have two young children including a 3 year old. The nurseries are mixed, probably not the same standard as in the UK if only for the fact that they have historically been seen as somewhere to care for children and not educate them although that is changing now. There are some good private primaries which in the scheme of things aren't expensive, but that is something you can research when you get out here, very difficult to do from the UK. If you move out here and want a point of contact for when you arrive then you can pm me on here. James

Guest brianlynnette
Hi Leanne, we live on the border of Semaphore. Not been here too long and so still settling in but really like the area. The beach is lovely and there are some decent shops, cafes, restaurants nearby and other amenities. It's great for young kids with lots of parks and play areas. West Lakes is also a nice spot as is Henley although don't really know there too well. We have two young children including a 3 year old. The nurseries are mixed, probably not the same standard as in the UK if only for the fact that they have historically been seen as somewhere to care for children and not educate them although that is changing now. There are some good private primaries which in the scheme of things aren't expensive, but that is something you can research when you get out here, very difficult to do from the UK. If you move out here and want a point of contact for when you arrive then you can pm me on here. James

Hi my name is lynnette the better half of brian haha, we live in west lakes shore, 5 mins walk from west lakes shore primary, school is massive which im not too keen on, west lakes shore is absolutely stunning, beautiful views, takes about 40 mins to get up to elizabeth, 25 mins from city, 25 mins from airport, we really are quite central to everything, nearest beach 5 mins in car, prob about 15 min walk, rents are a bit pricey up here we pay $320 for a 3 bed bungalow thats stuck in the 70's haha, if anyone fancies meeting up im free most days as i cant work we have a lil boy in kindy and dont want to put him in after school care or the others, were from liverpool xx

Guest brianlynnette

haha i never explained myself properley, brain works faster than im writing, even tho $320 is cheap we want a 4 bedroom with extra rumpus room and hopefully a pool up here in w.l shore we wont get one for less than $450 but i know in hallett cove etc we'd get what we want for less than that, but are we willing to compromise the area, that we dont know yet xx

Guest Lorraine Doyle

Hi Lynnette,

I'm living in Flagstaff Hill but I'm not working ATM either if you ever fancy meeting up for a tea or coffee. I'm studying to get equal qualifications over here. Give me a text anytime :jiggy:also looking to make friends now that the rest of the family are settled..

Hi Leanne,

Great post! I was wondering though how your husband got a job before you've traveled over. We'll be there in April and the general advice I received was that it would be very difficult to land a job remotely. Are you going down the employer sponsorship route?

Cheers,

Weegie

Guest deardos

Hi Leanne, We are exactly in the same situation. I am landing in Feb and the family are following in April. I have landed a job in Port Adelaide and looking in the same area and want the same things. My wife has never been before and we have twin children aged 14 months. Would be good to meet up and share our experience... hesitations ... problems ...If you fancy getting a place bigger could I have a room for a month???

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Leanne,

Congrats on yr husband on the job offer. Firstly, you'll find lot of Poms all over Adelaide. A lot of the more recent arrivals seem to congragate around Hallett Cove/Pt Noarlunga, but there is a big English contingent in most places. Personally, and I've lived in Hallett Cove when it was first being developed 20 years ago, I find the north-western beaches and suburbs more attractive and safer with young kids. There is less wind, less rain and calmer waters anywhere north of Marino Rocks.

I feel I must correct some replies - you will not find millions of tourists on any Adelaide beach! Glenelg, Henley Beach and Semaphore Beach would be the 3 busiest, but only because they are the ones that most people drive to from out of the area. If you go just 5 minutes away from these parking areas, such as Grange, Tennyson, West Lakes Shore, Semaphore Park, Largs Bay, Osborne and North Haven, you will mostly have the beach to yourself where your kids can play safely or you can walk a dog for miles. North Haven is a nice suburb you may not have considered, especially on the marina and yacht club side and it has the safest beach in Adelaide. There are lots of poms there also, most working at the submarine/shipbuilding facility as well as police officers who transferred with SAPOL.

If you were to look for something newer and more inland, you could consider Mawson Lakes. There is a "small" airport at Parafield, but it is not the main airport - that's next to West Beach/Glenelg. The pilot training centre is at Parafield and you will only get light aircraft taking off from there.

Travelling time to Burton would be less than 30 minutes now from the NW beach suburbs, since the opening of the Port Expressway. With that and the Northern Expressway I can now get to Gawler in 40 to 45 minutes from West Lakes Shore. The only schools I know about are West Lakes Shore Primary and Junior, which has an very good reputaion in the area and lots of British kids attend, as does Portside Christian school which is a small private school from Reception through to Year 12.

Good luck, Kazza xx

Edited by Kazzarazza
Typo

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the replies and the help and advice! Already its starting to feel much less daunting knowing that there is a friendly bunch of people out there that we can make connections with! Good news! Looks like Sempaphore, West Lakes might be best for us then as husband can take the Port Express Way 'up north'!

Will try and reply to specific questions/comments to individual messages! (sorry for delay in getting back to forum, tried using my smart phone to send a reply and it all went a bit wrong!)

Anyway, Thanks again to everyone! Chat again shortly!

Leanne xx

Hi Mamaworld3, thanks for reply! We looked initially around Golden Grove, Salisbury Heights, Athlestone, really beautiful areas, lovely houses, gorgeous views, quiet etc etc... but we weren't sure about if there was much of a 'hub'.. e.g like the great british high street with cafes, bars, restaurants, shops etc.. you see one of my biggest fears is that we move over and then I end up feeling isolated and cut off - anyone living in those areas please feel free to reassure me that I'm wrong as they are still areas we are considering! When we looked at coastal areas they seemed to each have more of a kind of 'main street' area, and of course lots of parks and the sea so we felt perhaps lets go with that! But I'm still pretty open minded as wanting to get as much advice from this invaluable forum!

Leanne x

Hi James, thanks for your post, would be great to have a point of contact, thanks! The more I see of Semaphore the more I like it, but not sure about schools, not that we need to worry for a couple of years. Interesting what you say about nurseries, like you say hopefully that is changing. We spotted a Montessori near West Lakes whilst googling, hoping this one will be about education as well as care and fun, its such a mine field tho finding the right things for your kids!

Thanks again, Leanne x

Hi Weegie, my husband and I have both registered with http://www.seek.com.au it sends emails of relevant jobs in Oz, this is how he got his interview and offer! We are almost at end of Visa application and they have said they will wait til its all through, so no employment sponsorship!

Thanks, Leanne

Hi Deardos, yes, we are always keen to meet up with people! I'm sure we all share similar worries! Re the room, not sure what we can afford yet re spare room capacity! Thanks, Leanne

Hi Mamaworld3, thanks for reply! We looked initially around Golden Grove, Salisbury Heights, Athlestone, really beautiful areas, lovely houses, gorgeous views, quiet etc etc... but we weren't sure about if there was much of a 'hub'.. e.g like the great british high street with cafes, bars, restaurants, shops etc.. you see one of my biggest fears is that we move over and then I end up feeling isolated and cut off - anyone living in those areas please feel free to reassure me that I'm wrong as they are still areas we are considering! When we looked at coastal areas they seemed to each have more of a kind of 'main street' area, and of course lots of parks and the sea so we felt perhaps lets go with that! But I'm still pretty open minded as wanting to get as much advice from this invaluable forum!

Leanne x

Most suburbs in Adelaide have some shops in them, although sme areas have more of a hub than others. Most areas also have plenty of play parks and open spaces and you are able to use school grounds out of hours as well. Where I live there are four play plarks, a school and a conservation park in walking distance. Other than the conservation park this isn't especially unusual.