Got my job offer in writing yesterday

Guest DWB

Now I guess the stress starts for real...

Been offered a job which pays 54k a year. It says overtime is sometimes available my experience of the industry is that it is normally always available so that could be a bonus.

I'm coming over with my partner and child. She probably won't be getting a job due to watching our son.

I've done some homework and "think" we should be able to survive. The main thing is its a foot in the door and now i can look forward to at least 2 years hopefully the rest of my puff in Australia :D

I just received an email from an migration agent looking for £2640 to process a 457 visa. I was under the impression that a 457 visa was paid by the sponsor taking you over. Is this normal to have to pay the fee's yourself? If this is the case would I not be as well looking for state sponsorship which would cost a similar amount and be permanent?

I'm from Dundee just saying :-)

Do not go for 457 if you can go Permenant as that is the best option. Cause it's double money once you are here. Better conditions Perm :-)

We've been here for 9.5yrs now .

Not sure your work but $54000 doesnt sound that much for a tradesman

Regards

Elaine

Edited by elainew

Now I guess the stress starts for real...

Been offered a job which pays 54k a year. It says overtime is sometimes available my experience of the industry is that it is normally always available so that could be a bonus.

I'm coming over with my partner and child. She probably won't be getting a job due to watching our son.

I've done some homework and "think" we should be able to survive. The main thing is its a foot in the door and now i can look forward to at least 2 years hopefully the rest of my puff in Australia :D

Is this inclusive with super or is super on top.

It says super is 9% but doesn't mention if it's on top or not.

Is 457 not a good fast route into the country. Is there not a transition visa in place now which makes it easier to make permanent

Does state sponsorship count as permanent and have all the advantages for children. I'll be bringing a 3 year old

I've went from high as a kite to down in the dumps today. .

Edited by DWB

Guest Guest5035

Not sure your work but $54000 doesnt sound that much for a tradesman

Regards

Elaine

better than no job, like some tradesman who arrived and have had nothing for months..

stevo

If you go for state sponsorship visa you will get NO government assistance for 2 years. After that time you can apply for PR visa and then you will be entitled to family and rent assistance. Be prepared to receive no handouts for the first 2 years.

We arrived in July through a State Sponsored visa and we have permanent residency, we also receive some kind of family benefit (I'm sorry I can't remember which exactly because my husband did all the applications). All the State sponsorship does is help with your actual application by telling the Australian Governement that SA needs your skill.

If you can go for a State sponsored visa over an employment visa I think I would - it will give you more flexibilty when you arrive and not tie you to perhaps a job you don't like, but then I suppose it also means you have to get out there and find your own work rather than have the stability of arriving with a job in the bag.

I'm taking the job. I've been trying to get there for the last year. Was just trying to work out what was best for me and my family. I was really unsure about paying the £2500 up front to the agent but I think now it is for the best. It's a foot in the door and as long as Mechanic isn't taken off the skills list I should be able to get permanent residency at the end of it. My savings will be wiped out getting there and buying new tools lol so the wages had better work out. I reckon I'll be spending a few dollars on gumtree to start with to furnish the house.

• 2 weeks later...
I just received an email from an migration agent looking for £2640 to process a 457 visa. I was under the impression that a 457 visa was paid by the sponsor taking you over. Is this normal to have to pay the fee's yourself? If this is the case would I not be as well looking for state sponsorship which would cost a similar amount and be permanent?

Migration agents to not process applications.

Some applicants are willing to pay an agent who is acting for a prospective employer.

Some employers pay all the costs and some pay part.

Anyone who relies on advice from an agent who was retained by a prospective employer should seek independent advice.

Hi, we have started with a migration agent in the uk for a state sponsored visa. My OH has been unable to get 7's in the IELTS test, he is only 0.5 off each time. He has applied for a job in Adelaide ? We have been told by the employment agency that they use a company to arrange the 457 visa at a cost of $2600 but as we have already started with our migration agent we will continue to use their services.

Which would be quicker ? To continue with a state sponsored visa or the 457 ?

Any advice anyone ?

Edited by evojoan