Karen_Jon

Advice on who to contact....

Hi

First off I'm a little unsure if I've posted this thread in the right place!!

Anyhow I'd like advice on websites or services I could contact regarding a recent matter.... a month or so ago we hired a car and took it back no problem (no accidents etc - all straightforward for getting our deposit back etc or so I thought). In the car info it mentioned that the car had to be cleaned on return, so I got up early and cleaned it etc but they still hit me with a cleaning charge ($73.40). Even though the bloody car was filthier when we received it (full of wrappers and rubbish in the passenger pockets etc)!!!!!!!!

So of course I'm fuming but they wont give me a refund. Is there somebody I can contact to discuss this and see if they can speak to them as I feel this is unfair. Of course for the company which I will never use again, it is easy money - bang a leaning charge on each car hire and that builds up nicely!!

It keep nagging at me so thought it was worth seeing if there is anything I can do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Karen

You could try Consumer Affairs, or try putting something up on the FB site of the new consumer affairs programme on ABC - search for The Checkout. Mentioning to the company concerned that you are going public also might jog them into being a little more helpful.

Good luckl

http://www.cbs.sa.gov.au/ might be a start

Always good if you hire in the future to take before pics when you collect the car and also note it on the checklist sheet if its messy inside or has rubbish etc. And snap away. I always do.

ETA - And take pics when you take it back.

Good luck with it all.

Edited by snifter

Hi Snifter, thanks for that - yes I think a lesson learnt and i'll defo be snap happy in the future. I wouldn't mind but I really didn't expect this from them. But I'm like a dog with a bone and have just emailed the Checkout for advice as per Diane's suggestion etc.

At least I know I've tried x

or try putting something up on the FB site of the new consumer affairs programme on ABC - search for The Checkout.

We love The Checkout, it is a good source of information, I bet the companies are not happy all this information is getting out to the public. We keep doing impressions of the young lad on it and going "SSSSCCCCAAAAMMMM" ha ha :jiggy:

If you have paid by credit card then you can get the card company to refund it - then it is upto the car hire company if they think it's worth suing you, it puts the ball back in play so to speak.

​NWM

We love The Checkout, it is a good source of information, I bet the companies are not happy all this information is getting out to the public. We keep doing impressions of the young lad on it and going "SSSSCCCCAAAAMMMM" ha ha :jiggy:

Apparently the programme is being sued by someone from Swisse Multivitamins, but as I'm sure I've read somewhere that the Chaser guys are all law graduates, they presumably knew exactly what they could legally say! One of my son's friends was on the programme last week, he is really enjoying his 15 minutes of fame (and everyone shouting "35 dollluhs" at him all the time!)