What food/drink do you miss from home?

Ktee

Food I miss:

- Hellman's light and extra light mayo - found the original in Coles however.

- Cheese moments and Battenburg cake - I probably ate both these things once a year tops - but they are the nostalgic childhood things I miss and always have when I get home - mum always has a battenburg for a cup of tea and piece of cake when we get back from Heathrow :)

- A huge selection of English cadbury's chocolate readily available (maybe this is a good thing that I don't have this accessible!)

- A jug of Pimms with all the extras served on a summer's day in a beer garden of a quaint English pub with a group of friends.

Don't think there's any food I seriously miss that I eat/used to eat on a regular basis - oh except good Indian!!!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found Mr Kipling mini battenburgs in Coles the other week. My kids love them. I haven't seen a larger version yet though and I don't eat it so I don't know if the mini ones are a good substitute.

I agree about the English Cadbury's, except I've now got used to the taste of the Australian stuff and don't notice the odd taste anymore. Not good for the waistline.

Was in a woolworths yesterday and they had a display of mince pies with a christmas tree!!!!!! I could not see any promo for xmas in july????. But you usually get Mr Kiplings mince pies at Xmas and sometimes his apple pies too (bramley apples). Jars of Robertsons fruit mince is also available for making your own mince pies to go with the lemon curd and jam tarts!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Don't think there's any food I seriously miss that I eat/used to eat on a regular basis - oh except good Indian!!!!

Hi Soo!....Have you tried the Balti House on Goodwood rd? Its run by an indian guy who had an indian restaurant in the uk for 20 years.....its not as good as our "local" in the uk but the best substitute we've found, the atmosphere is a bit lacking but i think the food makes up for it!

Fellow curry craver claire :wink:

Guest Guest75
Was in a woolworths yesterday and they had a display of mince pies with a christmas tree!!!!!! I could not see any promo for xmas in july????. But you usually get Mr Kiplings mince pies at Xmas and sometimes his apple pies too (bramley apples). Jars of Robertsons fruit mince is also available for making your own mince pies to go with the lemon curd and jam tarts!

I was chuckling at this in Woolies in Marion yesterday.

Had a giggle at the till as we bought 36 plus tins of dog food - they were on a real special.

The checkout chick heard me comment "It's great when you put chilli on and get past the gristle texture" , she was young enough to be unsure if I meant it! I did explain......................eventually.

I was chuckling at this in Woolies in Marion yesterday.

Had a giggle at the till as we bought 36 plus tins of dog food - they were on a real special.

The checkout chick heard me comment "It's great when you put chilli on and get past the gristle texture" , she was young enough to be unsure if I meant it! I did explain......................eventually.

Yorkshire folk find it hard to walk past a bargain eh!! Suppose you will have to get a dog now Tyke!!!

Thanks Claire - I have tried the Balti House - just a couple of weeks ago. Was definitely the closest to 'English Indian' I've had in Australia, but to be honest I didn't really rate it. The peshwari naan however was amazing - big love for that! But the curries didn't wow me. I think I've given up on Indian food here and will just enjoy all the other amazing cuisine we have on offer in Aus and leave Indian as a treat when I'm in the UK. :)

Went to the new Woolworths at Walkerville last night, they have a set area for english stuff (internationl foods aisle 7) amongst other things, they had Marmite, Paxo stuffing (only 1 packet left), penguin chocolate buscuits, 3 variety's of Bisto gravey granules (but they are available anyway) and Batchelers Mushy peas. Oh and for the sweet tooth Fry's chocolate cream bars.

• 4 weeks later...

UK food 3 001.jpgHi everyone, this company was in the paper last week, as I am working nearby thought I would give them a go today. 1 large pork pie and two scotch eggs going home for tea (must get mushy peas on way home). Also got two small pies for lunch at work, one for me and one for an Aussie - Verdict best so far for me, the Aussie tried hot and cold and liked it either way. I also got a free eccles cake (fly's graveyard) and that was good too, and was way better than the one I tried in the central market.

I also previously mentioned on a previous post/thread about a pastie I tried from central market, this pastie generally had more filling and with a thinner pastry than most others I have tried, the shop in central market is called 'gormet to go' they also stock the pork pies from UK Foods but have a large price mark-up.

UK Foods is a manufacturing business with a small outsales shop attached it is in an indusrial area and is a unit with-in a small complex, so do not go looking for a shop front along the road. the shop also has a small selection of other english packaged foods and sweets. Please note the opening times too!

Hope the attached photos come out OK and happy eating folks.:smile:

UK food 2 001.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6676[/ATTACH]Hi everyone, this company was in the paper last week, as I am working nearby thought I would give them a go today. 1 large pork pie and two scotch eggs going home for tea (must get mushy peas on way home). Also got two small pies for lunch at work, one for me and one for an Aussie - Verdict best so far for me, the Aussie tried hot and cold and liked it either way. I also got a free eccles cake (fly's graveyard) and that was good too, and was way better than the one I tried in the central market.

I also previously mentioned on a previous post/thread about a pastie I tried from central market, this pastie generally had more filling and with a thinner pastry than most others I have tried, the shop in central market is called 'gormet to go' they also stock the pork pies from UK Foods but have a large price mark-up.

UK Foods is a manufacturing business with a small outsales shop attached it is in an indusrial area and is a unit with-in a small complex, so do not go looking for a shop front along the road. the shop also has a small selection of other english packaged foods and sweets. Please note the opening times too!

Hope the attached photos come out OK and happy eating folks.:smile:

Do they ship interstate? We are missing something like this in Cairns especially with all the backpackers

Thanks for this Keith. I read the article in The Advertiser on Saturday but thanks to your posting realised like yourself the shop is close to where I work and thought I would be nosey and have a look. I have just come back with 2 pies, a pork pie and a scotch egg. I had a bakewell tart as well which I had for my lunch and it was gorgeous.

I told the lady in the shop you had posted it on poms in adelaide and I had spotted it and came to check it out, she says thank you.

Thanks for this Keith. I read the article in The Advertiser on Saturday but thanks to your posting realised like yourself the shop is close to where I work and thought I would be nosey and have a look. I have just come back with 2 pies, a pork pie and a scotch egg. I had a bakewell tart as well which I had for my lunch and it was gorgeous.

I told the lady in the shop you had posted it on poms in adelaide and I had spotted it and came to check it out, she says thank you.

Thanks Jessica, I told the lady that is was checking out pork pies and checking on where they supply so I do not double up on the same pie, also asked her if it would be OK to post the two leaflets, she said all ok. What do you think of the prices?

Keep us posted on your tasting session too.

Thanks Jessica, I told the lady that is was checking out pork pies and checking on where they supply so I do not double up on the same pie, also asked her if it would be OK to post the two leaflets, she said all ok. What do you think of the prices?

Keep us posted on your tasting session too.

I think the prices are good value. Happy to pay $1 for a very yummy bakewell tart. Will keep you posted on the taste test of the other goods.

Oh I'd kill for a white pudding right now!

Hi Guys, we may be passing your way (thats if you are still Willunga area?) at the weekend to do a spot of whale watching down Port Elliot, if we do, would you like us to bring down some white pudding? if so I will have to get it tomorrow (Friday) and anything else you fancy. Then if we do go down that way it will not be problem dropping it off.:smile:

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Hi Guys, we may be passing your way (thats if you are still Willunga area?) at the weekend to do a spot of whale watching down Port Elliot, if we do, would you like us to bring down some white pudding? if so I will have to get it tomorrow (Friday) and anything else you fancy. Then if we do go down that way it will not be problem dropping it off.:smile:

Hi Keith, thank you for the offer, it was very kind of you :smile: We do have a butcher own this way that does it but I am a sucker for a battered one from the chippy and haven't, even in my years in Scotland, found a way to replicate it at home, they're just not the same so have stopped trying:sad:

Enjoy your whale watching, they seem to be everywhere at the moment. We got quite a display a few weeks ago. Can recommend fish n chips at the Flying Fish too... Yum!

:frown: you didn't offer to bring me any