rented accomodation

thunee71

Rented accommodation which I have rented usually has no appliances except a stove and cooktop, - no fridge, washing machine or even heater.

There are places around where you can buy second hand, and especially Gumtree, which is the first place I look if I need anything cheaply.

When we sold our house the buyers wanted all the furniture and appliances so we arrived with just personal effects. That was probably a good thing as many of our appliances were not available locally and we wouldn't have been able to repair them. There are items that are very expensive here (beds, matresses) but there are some bargains to be had if you don't mind used goods. There are many garage sales every weekend and you can pick up many items there at very low prices.

There are also quite a few people who decide that Australia isn't for them and are unfortunately moving back.... and it's possible to purchase goods that are only a few months old. This site is very useful for that and you can often get entire household contents very cheaply.

If you are buying new appliances and furniture in Australia the prices are negotiable. If you take stores like Goodguys and Harvey Normans you can price match and take prices to them for them to beat...which they will so the advertised price is not the one that you are going to pay.

Tamara