my Adelaide experience

Guest SouthernStar

in over 5 years ive had no bad experiences of abuse regarding Poms except a week after getting here in a job interview where the person interviewing me kept going on about "great to have another #$$#$ Pom to take the piss out of" To make it even more stupid the guy doing the interview was Scottish!

I walked out saying id never work for a person like that even if they were the last company in the world!

Well this Pom had the last laugh - They went bust!

I like the banter and the best way to get accepted is to give it back! It confuses them!

Where ever you live there will always be mindless biggots but when they realise you wont just lay down and accept it they soon do what they should of done and shut up in the first place!

Sorry but anyone that takes offence to being called a POM is probably going to struggle with the whole migration thing to any country. You've gotta be made of sterner stuff I'm afraid. I can almost picture/guess the type of character we're talking about. Very nice people but easily offended and have a tendency to not get on with folk.

Probably a bit harsh on my part so sorry if I offend but COME ON!!!

On a trip back to the UK we met up with a couple that were migrating to Australia in the coming months. At the end of the evening and when we were on our own, I turned to my OH and said “the Aussies are going to eat him alive”!!! They moved out, lasted 3 months and went back!

It must make you question the amount of research people put into such a life-changing decision! Had they ever visited before, or were they coming into it blind?

We are obviously nervous about our impending move, but there is no way we'll be put off by a bit of piss-taking, it's what we do with our closest friends here, so is likely to make us feel at home!

Guest vikkiann

Personally, I do find some Aussies rude but hey I also find some English rude.

We we all call each other's poms!

Life is what you make it, if you don't like it here move on to somewhere else but bear in mind the grass isn't always greener.

I remember Tyke saying it takes 2 years to feel emotionally settled, he's spot on, we are just hitting the 1 1/2 year mark and Adelaide is home for us.

Sorry but anyone that takes offence to being called a POM is probably going to struggle with the whole migration thing to any country. You've gotta be made of sterner stuff I'm afraid. I can almost picture/guess the type of character we're talking about. Very nice people but easily offended and have a tendency to not get on with folk.

Probably a bit harsh on my part so sorry if I offend but COME ON!!!

JimBob, you give abuse but hide when it may come back at you. Not seen you on another forum since your team hasn't beaten Liverpool or been top of the league. Maybe you aren't made of tough stuff....

Hope you are well. :-)

It must make you question the amount of research people put into such a life-changing decision! Had they ever visited before, or were they coming into it blind?

We are obviously nervous about our impending move, but there is no way we'll be put off by a bit of piss-taking, it's what we do with our closest friends here, so is likely to make us feel at home!

They had visited before and my personal opinion is they were in a perfect position to make it work. People can do all the research in the world, but living in Adelaide/Australia just isn't for everyone, if it was there wouldn't be thousands of ping pong poms or people that just decide they prefer to go 'home'.

People need to choose a workplace environment that suits their personality, this is why so much emphasis is put on being a 'good fit' to the organisation. I have worked in several places in Adelaide and the culture of taking the p*ss and having a laugh is a big part of the workplace. At interview I have been made aware of this (especially if it is a male dominated environment) and asked if I would have any problems in that environment - I don't. One place I worked in construction, a male colleague complained to the bosses about all the swearing, he soon got a DCM (Don't Come Monday!!).

The 2 year point is interesting. My wife and I have promised each other we are going to give it 4 years before we even consider coming home - purely because this way we can get citizenship & dual nationality, thereby opening plenty of doors for the kids in the future.

Also, I think if we aren't settled and happy after 4 years, it's unlikely we ever will be.

Guest Guest75
The 2 year point is interesting. My wife and I have promised each other we are going to give it 4 years before we even consider coming home - purely because this way we can get citizenship & dual nationality, thereby opening plenty of doors for the kids in the future.

Also, I think if we aren't settled and happy after 4 years, it's unlikely we ever will be.

Our general saying is the "Rule of 2 and 4"

2 years to fell at least somewhat settled - even starting to bump into people you know in the malls and stuff.

4 years to have caught up financially.

Only rule of thumb but if ya pass those marks you are pretty safe.

The other major factor is work, I do know those who have returned after a shorter time due to total lack of a decent income from their profession. I was speaking to two Pommie blokes last Sunday. One is deffo returning and the other highly likely. Such a shame as they have tried,given it a go but know it's not working out - in a profession I thought was in demand! (I'm not saying which or who for discretion) .

13 years for us now.:cute:

Definitely give it lots of time - at least 4 years I would say until you feel truly settled and can honestly say you have been to a few places here. It is different - of course it is - that's why we wanted to come isn't it? I remember people at school calling me a pom when I first started teaching and I felt a bit offended - but I didn't show it and just laughed along with them. Now, I can honestly say that my colleagues are very dear to me. So it might be worth trying to live and let live. We can't change them, but we can change our own attitude for the best :)

I agree it takes time and that can be years. People need to consider before they come over if they are prepared to put that amount of time and effort in (if required), if like us they are coming from scratch without jobs to come to. Mind you I have known poms that have come out to jobs lined up and start earning an income straight away and they still go back.

I would say for us at around the 6 year mark we reached our point when everything just came together - the whole overall experience.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Guest Partridge.carl

Haven't been on here since I landed two years ago as I believe we become Aussies the day we land. if we want to be British then we should of stayed in Britain. I think we need to look at why we all left the UK. For me it wasn't about money, as to be blunt we hade more than we could spend. It was about how the UK was losing its identity. It was watching an influx of new overseas settlers coming into the UK and all I valued about the UK being destroyed as these settlers tried to recreate their homeland and communities in the UK. the Brits try and do the same all the time here in Oz and in Spain. So were all as bad as each other.

This forum was full of help in assisting us getting over here. However as I said once we were here we need to call ourselves Aussies and Australia home. Home is the place that puts money in your pocket, a roof over your head and offers safe haven for you and your family. I really believe that whinging and ping pong poms are those who can't help calling the UK home and comparing everything. Can you imagine if I kept calling my ex wife home and comparing my new wife to her?????

First you need to look at what led to you making that big move to start with. Adelaide is very protective of Adelaidians. Yes they can moan because thye don't know how great they have it. Yes it lacks things to do in comparison to the UK but it gives us time, a safe environment and weather and that leads to the space and ability to make great friends. We held a thank you party for over 200 people we had met in our first year who welcomed us in to their lives and now have a social life and work life balance we could only dream off. Yes technically POM is discriminatory word as opposed to racist however the only person I've been abused by was a Brit on line who had a go at me for being an Aussie. I put him straight.

So now some of you must think I'm a disloyal Brit. I loved the UK. I did Judo for my country. I managed Royal Protection for the Queen and was on the board of the England Cricket Team. I'm still passionate about the UK, it's been a major part of my life. But in life you need to look forward, you are the instigator of positive change. That said not all of us can do that and that's cool.

Hope you guys find the right place for your happiness

You can still be a proud brit and not get offended by the word Pom. I got my citizenship last week and still regard myself as English. It just means I can have 2 passports now for the convenience of leaving and entering both countries.

I will add that I love living in Australia and Adelaide and think the locals are great. My life is much more enriched living here but I always be English and proud.