Arriving with no jobs

Mazza

Guest BurgessFamily

I think most people / families arrive without jobs. Just be willing to be flexible when you arrive and put the effort in to find 'something' and you will be fine (i.e. positive job hunting).

Lots of us arrive without jobs, yes it can be tough but you just have to really keep pushing people all the time, if you have not arrived yet then get some emails/ contacts going before you come, there would be positions in what you are saying all over Adelaide but you just need to be in the right place at the right time, really depends where you want to live, its no different to the UK really nothing comes to those who wait you need to get out there and get it, good luck

Hi

Has any couples out there arrived in Adelaide without jobs? Is it tough starting out - where to start. Where to locate to be in best position to get jobs - admin/carpentry or warehousing.

Thanks

Would ye advise where best to locate on arrival? Been researching but so difficult . We just want to have a decent location to base ourselves. Thanks guys

I'd say find somewhere as central as possible. Then you can start the job search and when you find something, look for a place to rent longer term in that general direction. Be a shame to be down in Victor Harbor and see your ideal job at Gepps Cross, or vice versa!

Hi...

We arrived with no jobs. We did heaps of research and was lucky enough to both have secured and started work within 4 weeks of being here.

Nat & Gaz :-)

Thanks Nat and Gaz, We have kind of left everything until the last minute. I have done a little research from home but not a lot. Did ye do much research before leaving or mostly when ye arrived. What do ye work at? Where did ye locate on arrival - can you recommend anywhere? Also how did ye secure work? How are ye finding Adelaide?

I'd say find somewhere as central as possible. Then you can start the job search and when you find something, look for a place to rent longer term in that general direction. Be a shame to be down in Victor Harbor and see your ideal job at Gepps Cross, or vice versa!

Where would you recommend as central? - it's so difficult arriving so blind to a new city

Hi all, me and my wife are experiencing the same situation, being arrived 3 weeks ago here in Adelaide with no jobs.

The tips I can give to the OP are:

1st: search (on internet or wherever) the addresses and/or the telephone numbers of the companies you'd like to send your resume. Call them before, and then send your resume attached to a customized cover letter that clearly refers to your previous contact. This can make the difference between a considered resume and a discarded one.

2nd: before choosing your fina location try to secure a job during the short term rental, if you can have one. If it isn't possible, try to choose a suburb placed in the middle of the urban area, but consider that if you're somewhere on the hills you'll reach both northern suburbs or southern one more easily than starting from a trafficated central part of the city, as i.e.Mile End or Unley. That's because starting from a peripheral suburb you'll face the traffic only in the last part of your journey to work.

Try to locate yourselves somewhere within easy access of a train-line or the O-Bahn or on a main bus route into the City - that way easy access to jobs and no parking to pay.

Alternatively, if you're not interested in working in the city perhaps near one of the hospitals or main shopping centres would be good for you.

We arrived with no jobs - but Ken was working within about 4 weeks. It took me a bit longer but I got there too in the end. Wednesdays and Saturdays are the main days for jobs to be advertised in The Advertiser but also look on Seek.com and Careerone.

Hi, we arrived in Oct and neither myself (admin) or my husband (fitter) have been able to secure employment. It has got us down at times, when my husband gets interviews and even sent for medicals and still gets a no at the end but we are trying to think positive. We are determined to make if out here and you just have to get back on the job hunting horse. Be prepared to look at all avenues for work, it's not just the websites and papers, everybody we have met out here we have mentioned we are looking for work. You never know who that person may know who is looking to fill a position. We may be the unlucky ones as it seems a lot of people are getting work within the first month but hoping for some good news soon. Good luck with the move, we love it here :-)

Thanks jules. Sorry to hear ye are having no luck with jobs. Can imagine must be tough. Like everyone I guess we are hoping to be luvky and secure jobs in few weeks of arrival. Im glad we are doing a two week recce in advance of move.

Best of luck with job hunting. Let us know how ye get on..

I've been here since October as well. I've had two interviews and applied for many jobs. Most IT, admin and logistics jobs on seek have over 200 people applying for them.

I agree recruitment agencies are a complete waste of time but still keep in with them. There only advice is for me to relocate to Melbourne or Perth.

You have to be prepared to do bit of networking, get involved in the community where you can. It is tough but you must always be positive.

Coastie

We arrive on 10th march for our two week recce.very nervous now on the job front. Recce is cost we could do without but if it helps us decide I guess worth it in long run. I have a nice job il be giving up. Dreamed of this all my life now its here im not sure its wat I want. I guess im older and more nervous of the future. Scary hearing so many in run for admin jobs. Not sure how long we would survive with no work.

A lot of people arrive with no jobs lined up. Some people will secure work in the first few weeks, there are still the 'in demand' jobs that people can secure fairly easy, but people should be prepared mentally and financially if it takes longer. If you arrive leading up to November you need to also be prepared that it may take even longer. Nov/Dec/Jan are the slowest months to find work. I do a lot of contract/casual work through agencies and if I have an assignment finishing end of October/Nov, I would have made financial provision before the contract ends because the likelihood is I may be out of work for the next couple of months till things pick up late Jan/Feb.

This is copied from a thread I started back in August 2013, but I feel the same information is relevant. The average time it took to secure work at the time of this article was 3 months.

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser (Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks - 16%

4 to 13 weeks - 38%

13 to 26 weeks - 18%

26 - 52 weeks - 20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. This is a guide for people coming over as to how long it may take to secure work. People start panicking when they have been here just for a couple of weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position within 1 week of arriving and a perm position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a perm position 10 weeks after arriving.

We were both lucky securing perm jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

Edited by Jessica Berry

We (girlfriend and I) arrived in November. I am in HR and my girlfriend is a paeds nurse. I got temp work in a HR role within 5 weeks but consider myself fairly lucky to get it considering the picture painted by recruiters of the HR job market was dire to say the least. My girlfriend has not got work yet and has been advised she will be very lucky to get any paediatric nursing work for the foreseeable future. My advice would be just to get literally any kind of work while you are searching for perm/long term jobs and prepare yourself to be very patient to secure your perm/long term job. You have probably heard this advice many times before but I can't understate how important it is particularly if you come out here with anything less than 6 months worth of funding for rent, living expense etc.

Fantastic news for you jules. I hope we are as lucky. All the best with new job and good luck to OH in his job hunt. Are ye in perm accom?

Thanks Mazza :-) We are currently in a long term rental, we are going to rent for longer than we planned to help us catch up financially but we don't mind as love our rental. Best of luck with everything :wink: