SwanseaJack

Funds needed for parents to emigrate

Hi

my family and I emigrated to Adelaide this year. D absolutely love it and have no intention of returning to the UK. My parents (dad 71 and mum 68) are thinking of joining us. Just wandered what visa they would need and is there a certain amount of cash that they would need to have to enter Oz

thankyou in advance for your help

kathy :wacko:

There is only one option for them now. You need to have had pr for two years before they can apply and at least 50% of their children must be Aussie pr or citizens.

It is nowhere near cheap though.

Parents Contributory Visa (PCV 143) - Works out about $35,000 each + $10,000 bond (paid by child living in Australia) which pays interest and you get back after 10 years provided you don't make any claims on the State!

You do get PR from day one, Medicare and Seniors card - with a few perks (also, after 2 years, but not for much longer if the SA government have to do the same as other states) Commonwealth Seniors Card which gives you access to cheap prescriptions.

There is only one option for them now. You need to have had pr for two years before they can apply and at least 50% of their children must be Aussie pr or citizens.

It is nowhere near cheap though.

Yes,i find nothing is cheap here to be honest.

Parents Contributory Visa (PCV 143) - Works out about $35,000 each + $10,000 bond (paid by child living in Australia) which pays interest and you get back after 10 years provided you don't make any claims on the State!

You do get PR from day one, Medicare and Seniors card - with a few perks (also, after 2 years, but not for much longer if the SA government have to do the same as other states) Commonwealth Seniors Card which gives you access to cheap prescriptions.

Thanks

apart art from that do have to prove they have enough cash to live on whilst here and if so how much?

thank you x

Are your parents in good health? They would be required to pass a medical iirc.

I'd sit and have a good read of the immi website info on the parent visa. Perhaps get a note pad and make some notes on it all.

I know on PIO people say a parent visa for 2 people ends up being about $100,000 give or take (some of this may be the bond though). Its not cheap and your parents would still need means to be able to live once in Aus.

Also there are implications on the state pension from the UK so check this also.