Little Athletics

NicF

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used the school sports voucher towards one of ours (the other one had already used his for soccer) so we had $50 off; has your son used his this year?

Only two of ours chose to go last year but they both really enjoyed it and were keen to get back into it this season; it's great to give them a taste of all sorts and see what they might like, and if they're not so good at one thing they may be better at another.

We used the school sports voucher towards one of ours (the other one had already used his for soccer) so we had $50 off; has your son used his this year?

Only two of ours chose to go last year but they both really enjoyed it and were keen to get back into it this season; it's great to give them a taste of all sorts and see what they might like, and if they're not so good at one thing they may be better at another.

yeah, it was used for footy at the start of the season so it's the full cost for us. He's happy to give it a try but I am loathed to spend that much unless he is really keen.

• 4 weeks later...

To give an update on this :)

We attended 2 try out sessions over the past couple of weeks. There were a lot of kids out. A lot. I've been told that a fair few will drop off once the free sessions are over and the numbers settle down a little. I was a bit concerned as sons group had over 20 kids in it and they had to wait ages for a turn each at things. Only a few less last week too. Hoping this week a few less again or else they have said they will split the group so the kids are not standing around too long.

It seems to be well run, just flat out busy and so many kids atm that they are rather swamped. Also parents are expected to pitch in in some way, be it carrying the drinks bottles to helping measure the jumps or picking up the darts or balls thrown. And many of us had no idea what was going on so couldn't do much to start with. Husband and I got involved from the off where we could and hoping once it settles down more parents will help out.

No plans to buy the kit this year. Not at $40 a new top or $20 second hand. If he goes back next year we'll look at getting the kit then but not for his first season.

Son enjoyed it the first week, not so much last week as he didn't know anyone in his group and all the kids he did know were girls and they do different events to the boys, not mixed. He was a bit miffed at that and couldn't get why they had to be separate. Hopefully a friend from school is going to be there again this week so he won't feel so on his own.

There has been a big spike in kids coming out to come and try's at most clubs snifter, what club have you tried out ??. Clubs like Henley have historically had large memberships (400+), but luckily not all turn up at once on Friday nights.

It is imperative that Parents help out, otherwise things don't happen. But what happens so often is that its the same parents that help out while others watch, and it can get very annoying as the seasons pass. Most of the committee members are Mums and Dad's too, and sadly they sometimes don't get to see their own children during the meet. Basically what parents are asked to do is chaperone(recording results) while the others help with measuring, putting the high jump bar up, canteen helpers, BBQ duties etc.

There is something special about Little Athletics for Parents, your right there when it happens !!. It could be your child finishing a 800m race, throwing a discus, jumping over a high bar. Your there to give a cuddle for a personal best or a disappointment, infact most kids will love you being there to see them perform.

Ive been involved for many years now as a committee member and a President, and Ive met some wonderful people from my club and others along the way, its a fantastic sport for all abilities, shapes and sizes. It's all about personal achievement not winning.

It's worth noting that the Little Athletics clubs are run entirely by parents so if parents didn't volunteer they wouldn't happen. Some parents are so in to it they keep going and helping even once their kids have grown up but it is all down to parents really. Our club is pretty small (just over 100 kids this year for the first time since we have been going) and even we have had loads of come and try athletes this year. Some of the bigger, more organise clubs have probably been able to absorb the numbers easily, but for the smaller clubs it's a bit more of a shock to the system.

I second the bit above about parents on the committee not getting to see their own children. For the first couple of weeks myself and another parent didn't get to see our kids at all as we were dealing with registrations pretty much the whole time. Our club is so small we don't have anything like a canteen to run so after the first few weeks we do get to see a bit more of what is going on. My OH only gets to see the kids when they are running as he does the starting gun. The best way to ensure you get to see your kid doing the activities is to volunteer to be a chaperone or to help the existing one.

Just worth noting on the kit thing that if your son wants to do any of the sessions at Santos he will need the correct kit with all the badges sewn on in the right places. They are quite strict about this. If he is not bothered and the club are relaxed then you could get away without the top. And if you do buy one buy it fairly big. My kids are on their third season and they have both said they are happy to keep wearing the same top they got when they started.

There has been a big spike in kids coming out to come and try's at most clubs snifter, what club have you tried out ??. Clubs like Henley have historically had large memberships (400+), but luckily not all turn up at once on Friday nights.

It is imperative that Parents help out, otherwise things don't happen. But what happens so often is that its the same parents that help out while others watch, and it can get very annoying as the seasons pass. Most of the committee members are Mums and Dad's too, and sadly they sometimes don't get to see their own children during the meet. Basically what parents are asked to do is chaperone(recording results) while the others help with measuring, putting the high jump bar up, canteen helpers, BBQ duties etc.

There is something special about Little Athletics for Parents, your right there when it happens !!. It could be your child finishing a 800m race, throwing a discus, jumping over a high bar. Your there to give a cuddle for a personal best or a disappointment, infact most kids will love you being there to see them perform.

Ive been involved for many years now as a committee member and a President, and Ive met some wonderful people from my club and others along the way, its a fantastic sport for all abilities, shapes and sizes. It's all about personal achievement not winning.

O I totally appreciate its parents helping out. We've already got stuck in and hubby did the measuring last night for shot put and the vortex thing. Plus we rounded kids up, got them lined up, moved them round to the different events and stuff. I chatted with one of the helpers last night who explained more about the input they need and why and how each kid has to have a chaperone on the oval somewhere and what to do if you can't find the chaperone or think there isn't one etc.

I did notice a group of parents all sat together having a chat and who didn't get up and get involved at all. Hopefully they will over the coming weeks.

I'm really enjoying it and am starting to get to grips with it all. I'm hoping I can start doing a few more things in the coming weeks and to be able to record the results to give other parents a break. Our son beat his PB for the 100m last night by 2 seconds :jiggy: He ran in the U8's and clocked up 18.4 and was stoked. We hadn't realised but half the kids were U9's and the others U8's and he was running so hard to keep up with the older kids and it got him a great PB. He did the high jump for the first time too last night and enjoyed it.

The amount of kids had definately tailed off last night too and the evening went a lot more smoothly and not so much waiting around. Made a big difference. Hopefully the number out last night is where its going to be at for the duration, give or take a few each week of course. Son's U8's had dropped from 20 plus to 14 or so and they are a bit more aware of what it is they are doing now so its all good.

Just worth noting on the kit thing that if your son wants to do any of the sessions at Santos he will need the correct kit with all the badges sewn on in the right places. They are quite strict about this. If he is not bothered and the club are relaxed then you could get away without the top. And if you do buy one buy it fairly big. My kids are on their third season and they have both said they are happy to keep wearing the same top they got when they started.

I found a size 8 last night in the second hand box but it was practically as new so grabbed that. Its got a year or two's wear in it at least so happy with that. The next size up would have been round his knees :cute: One of his mates is in a size 10 and its huge on him and he is a good bit taller than my son. We got the bag last night with all the numbers and stuff in and am sewing those on this week sometime.

Husband and I are both helping out with our son's age group to ensure we can see him take part. On the weeks when our name is yelled out for manning the BBQ or timing machine thing, hubby has said he doesn't mind to go help with those and I can stay to chaperone.

All up, happy with things now its settled down. People did tell us that the try out sessions meant a lot of extra kids but many of them didn't come back once it got down to paying the registration fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you all enjoying Little Aths, keep an eye out for the first meeting at Santos on the last Sunday this month (29th). You need to register your child by the 15th November. This year its called the State Classic, but most know it as PB day. It's a big thing for the kids as they get to do their stuff in a big stadium.

• 3 weeks later...
Glad to see you all enjoying Little Aths, keep an eye out for the first meeting at Santos on the last Sunday this month (29th). You need to register your child by the 15th November. This year its called the State Classic, but most know it as PB day. It's a big thing for the kids as they get to do their stuff in a big stadium.

I was there with three of the kids.

Here's a link to some great pictures of the children on the day...:smile:

http://centimetreperfect.fotomerchant.com/little-athletics-sa-photos-2015-2016/jetstar-sa-state-classic-personal-best-day-photos/jetstar-sa-state-classic-29-11-2015/ui/E9JUI5Z4FW-U9S-30M5C4

• 1 month later...

Yes it's a big weekend for the kids, they all like the multi"s. They compete against all the other athletes from across our State in 5 or 6 disciplines to find the overall all rounder. We will be there as my daughter will be doing three events on each day.

The "adults" competition is the seniors (Athletics SA), they have Inter club meets every Saturday Afternoon at Santos. It's open to Little Athlete's over 12 years to join, and is a great pathway to carry on with the sport.

My only concern is that most of the age groups will be doing their 800m in the hottest part of the day (1-3). Good luck to all those going

• 3 months later...

It's now the cross country season for the little athletics...and road walking.

It's really amazing how children excel. My grandson received awards and trophies and it's such a good character building programme.

Little Athletics will be starting again at the end of September and tiny tots (aged 3 upwards) are welcome to join the older children.

I go through to the SA athletics stadium (formerly Santos stadium) every week as the SA walking coach encourages children to attend evening sessions. The children meet other kids from throughout the state and they have lots of fun.

If anyone needs any info for the Noarlunga Little Athletics (my local club at Christies Beach) just send me a pm.

• 4 months later...

The Little Athletics programme will be starting again soon.

The different centres start on different dates.

Here's a little bit of info regarding the programme with links. I have grandchildren who will be starting in the Noarlunga Little Athletics this year (field below Christies Beach high school). My eldest grandson is doing so well and won the centre best trophy for the under 9's and the cross country state championships for the under 9's. :smile:

I will post the registration details shortly....

who%20are%20we.jpg

Who are we?

Little Athletics is a modified program for children of all abilities aged 3 - 17 years. It is based on a wide range of track and field events including: running, jumping, throwing and walking. Throughout South Australia there are 58 centres, both metro and regional, that offer weekly training, centres meets and interclub meets for children to participate in during the Little Athletics Season (Click here to see a list of our centres and their details)

The SA Little Athletics Association host 7 events throughout the summer season at the SA Athletics Stadium. These events range from competitive State events to Family fun days - no matter what the event is all families are invited to attend! (See event timetable)

The Track and Field season starts in September and runs through to March, with some centres offering training and meets all year around. The Cross Country season begins in May and continues through to July. (For more information on Cross Country Season click here)

Each year across South Australia, approximately 8,000 boys and girls enjoy the activities that Little Athletics has to offer -

Are you new to Little Athletics?

Click here to see some more information on Little Athletics in SA.

As well as the weekly Little Athletics meets at the different locations throughout the city there are also holiday clinics at SA stadium during the school holidays. I have had 3 of my grandchildren enrolled in the holiday clinics and they thoroughly enjoy it...it's lots of fun!

Details of the next holiday clinic are attached below. I will be there with my 3 little ones again!:smile:

Dear Parents,

Little Athletics SA and Athletics SA are pleased to announce that registrations are now open for all 5 to 17 year olds in our October school holidays athletics clinic. It will be sure to be a full day of fun for your child or children and be a great opportunity for you to leave them in our capable hands, whilst you spend the day relaxing or working.

The details of the clinic can be seen below or on the website at http://salaa.org.au/Athletes/Holiday-Clinics/Dare-to-Dream-Athletics-Holiday-Clinic-October.

DARETODREAM

ATHLETICSHOLIDAYCLINIC2016

The clinic involves the opportunity to participate in all run, jump, throw and walk athletic events that are offered at Little and Senior Athletics, a special guest presentation and much more!

It was a fantastic Olympics campaign in Rio 2016 with 4 South Australian track and field athletes representing the Green and Gold, and Australia achieving 9 track and field athletes with Top 8 finishes... so why not 'Dare to Dream' for Gold in Tokyo 2020 and beyond!

REGISTER NOW!

UNDER 6 - UNDER 8

Date: Wednesday 5th October 2016

Time: 9:00AM - 3:00PM

Cost: $50.00

This clinic will involve:

§3 x 1 hour practical sessions.

§Learning and skill development of Run, Jump and Throw events.

§Quality coaching from some of South Australia's best young coaches.

§Morning & afternoon tea provided.

§Olympic-themed quiz.

§The ultimate Usain Bolt Challenge.

§Special guest presentation!

UNDER 9 - UNDER 18

Date: Thursday 6th October 2016

Time: 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Cost: $60.00

This clinic will involve:

§4 x 1 hour practical sessions (free athletic event choice for the last session)

§Learning and skill development of Run, Jump, Throw and Walk events.

§Quality coaching from some of South Australia's best young coaches.

§Morning & afternoon tea provided.

§Olympic-themed quiz.

§Special guest presentation!

Registrations Close: Wednesday, 28th of September at 5PM

If you have any questions or want more information, please contact Steven Marotti (Little Athletics SA) at development@salaa.org.au | 08 8352 8133 or Andrew Crawford (Athletics SA) at development@athleticssa.com.au | 08 8352 1867.

I look forward to seeing your child or children involved in October!

Kind Regards,

Steven Marotti

Programs & Events Manager

South Australian Little Athletics Inc.

uc?export=download&id=0B7wIZ-dRHlrNTDNZTVJmWHUzWDQ&revid=0B7wIZ-dRHlrNNTNydk9OT0FvaFpZQlpyQjVWN2Ezc204Zm9jPQ

Office Contact Details

Phone: 8352 8133

Fax: 8352 8155

Email: development@salaa.org.au

I have just collected a new barbecue from the Noarlunga Bunnings to replace the old one at the Noarlunga Little Athletics (THANK YOU BUNNINGS FOR THE KIND DONATION!).:notworthy:

All the Bunnings stores have community programmes and it's possible to get items like barbies donated...just get your area reps to send your local store a nice 'begging letter'...it totally fits in with the organisations that Bunnings like to support. (even though Little Athletics have other sponsors like Health Partners and Jetstar. :smile: