Are you moving to Australia in 2015

Ktee

Hi we now arrive 17th June (was previously September) in Port Noarlunga, myself, hubby, Emily (5), Oliver (7) very excited

That's only a few months away :) It'll fly past I am sure.

Remember it will be winter here then. So houses will feel nippier and weather may not be as warm for the few months after you arrive. I realise coming from the UK you'll probably not notice it as much as those already here a while who have acclimatised but the colder houses can be noticeable regardless I think. Pack a few warm layers and some PJ's the kids will be warm in at night. Aus houses are not the greatest heating wise and don't retain heat like we are used to in many UK homes now.

Hi we're family of 5, Alex, Karen & 3 girls 10, 9 & 6 any our wee doggie. Kids have mixed emotions about move. Alex b over 19th March & we'll follow beginning of April so exciting times ahead. Kai we're on 457 so thanks for link x:smile:

Thats interesting! Where are you from? Have you manage to settle your accommodation and vehicle to move about?

Hi all! We are the McLennans originally from UK but relocating to Adelaide in the first week of July from the Netherlands.

Our kids are 6 and 7 and getting a short list of schools is proving tricky as there seems to be a lot of good ones to

choose from. Hubby starts work North of the city in mid July and we submitted our 457 (!?) visa last week... Hoping it will come

back soon! Still need to sell a house and book flights etc... I am finding this forum a really useful source of info! Thanks

to those who take the time to add their input!

Hi. We had out visa granted last week and we have booked flights to arrive on the 6th June!!! It is Me, my husband and our 2 children Jacob who is 9 and Emilia who is 6 tomorrow.

We have a rental booked until the end of June in Port Noarlunga with Tamara from Homes Down Under (I see that she has posted above!) I think we are going to be looking for houses around the Flagstaff Hill area though, although it depends on schools, dancing schools and gymnastics clubs!! (Jacob is the dancer - ballet, tap, modern - and Emilia is the gymnast)

We have no jobs yet but are going to start getting CVs drawn up this week and sent out to agencies.

We are quite chilled out about the whole thing, just getting our house emptied but my family over here who we are leaving behind are starting to panic that we haven't got a job yet and we haven't got a long term rental but I am sure it will be fine. Most people are in the same boat aren't they????

I'm starting to get really excited about moving but it still doesn't seem real yet, I don't think it actually will until we get on the plane!

So we are on 457. Landing feet end April, will be staying at our aunt's house temporarily for a month or so while we hunt for a suitable place to rent.

My work location is in CBD. Aunt stays in Mitcham and one cousin stays in Marden. Cousin recommended Marden area for its convenience and demographic. Any views?

Understand that commuting to CBD via bus could costs approximately $3.30 per trip. So I was even exploring on cycling to work.

Hi. We had out visa granted last week and we have booked flights to arrive on the 6th June!!! It is Me, my husband and our 2 children Jacob who is 9 and Emilia who is 6 tomorrow.

We have a rental booked until the end of June in Port Noarlunga with Tamara from Homes Down Under (I see that she has posted above!) I think we are going to be looking for houses around the Flagstaff Hill area though, although it depends on schools, dancing schools and gymnastics clubs!! (Jacob is the dancer - ballet, tap, modern - and Emilia is the gymnast)

We have no jobs yet but are going to start getting CVs drawn up this week and sent out to agencies.

We are quite chilled out about the whole thing, just getting our house emptied but my family over here who we are leaving behind are starting to panic that we haven't got a job yet and we haven't got a long term rental but I am sure it will be fine. Most people are in the same boat aren't they????

I'm starting to get really excited about moving but it still doesn't seem real yet, I don't think it actually will until we get on the plane!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Yes, most are in the same boat. Usually things like a long term rental and jobs don't happen till you are here. If you are at Tamaras for a few weeks you'll have time to find a rental in an area you like and that is practical for where you may work or hope to work. I think Flagstaff Hill and around that area is a decent base for the CBD and southern suburbs, a good starting point, hopefully you'll like it round there when you see it and it ticks your boxes :)

So we are on 457. Landing feet end April, will be staying at our aunt's house temporarily for a month or so while we hunt for a suitable place to rent.

My work location is in CBD. Aunt stays in Mitcham and one cousin stays in Marden. Cousin recommended Marden area for its convenience and demographic. Any views?

Understand that commuting to CBD via bus could costs approximately $3.30 per trip. So I was even exploring on cycling to work.

I don't know Marden, can't comment. Mitcham is a lovely suburb, we have family out that way. A lot will depend on your budget.

IMO the $3.30 bus fare is very good value. Cycling is also a good option, on the flat it's easier peddling of course ;) you could do both. We have friends who cycle to work daily from further out and my hubby often cycles into the city for fun, to race and more.

We are very close now to our big move - We land on Wednesday 1st April 2015.

Still incredibly excited, although very frustrated that ANMAC have still not processed my wife's application - Even though they have had all her information since July!!

Looking forward though, to making new friends and integrating fully into the Australian way of life.

This site has been great - It has allowed me to clarify information about Bank accounts (have an account opened and pick up the debit card the day after we land). Clarify the process of gaining relevant ID.... For example; the fact that we need to get our medicare cards before we can get the Drivers licences.

What to look out for when buying a car, in terms of documentation etc.

Find out about schools and residential areas etc, etc.....

Admittedly, this sight has also scared the s#+t out of me - Mainly, whenever i go near the section that talks about finding work and how dire things currently are.

Tamara (Homes down Under) has been great to deal with too.

Edited by richard300

• 5 months later...

Glad this thread has been bumped up, we are moving in 10 days! Both excited and terrified. The removerlists are coming on Wednesday, so we have spent the weekend cleaning and sorting through everything ready for Wednesday. I finish work on Tuesday, we then have 2 days at home before heading down to Devon for a wedding and a family meal over the weekend. Everything is going to go so quickly now, I'm worried something will get forgotten.

Glad this thread has been bumped up, we are moving in 10 days! Both excited and terrified. The removerlists are coming on Wednesday, so we have spent the weekend cleaning and sorting through everything ready for Wednesday. I finish work on Tuesday, we then have 2 days at home before heading down to Devon for a wedding and a family meal over the weekend. Everything is going to go so quickly now, I'm worried something will get forgotten.

Enjoy the last few days :)

I'm sure it'll all be fine but its natural to worry about it all. I think having a day or two after your stuff has gone is not a bad thing as it gives you time to finish off anything left behind be it stuff to go to the tip, the last bit of rubbish to put in the bin and anything needing cleaning, piece of cake once the house is empty.

I remember we saw my parents on the Sunday and then we flew out on the Wednesday. It was good having a couple of days to ourselves, son went to school as usual, we cleaned the house, went for some nice walks, parted with the car the afternoon before we left then had a nice meal out the 3 of us the last evening there. Slept on airmattresses and a friend came round and collected those and the last few bits of rubbish and took them to the tip for us. Then we were on our way.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you once you arrive. IIRC its the two of you isn't it? Hubby and yourself? Without kids to worry about you'll have more options re rentals and so on and should easily find either a unit or nice house somewhere to suit you. When I first met my hubby he was living in a small house in the CBD a few minutes walk from the Central Market and I loved living there with him. It wasn't a big place, a 1/2 bedroom depending how you split it, but it had lovely wooden floors, high ceilings and a small backyard we could BBQ in. We used to breakfast at the market on weekends and head to Glenelg in the afternoon on the tram for a wander and an icecream and a dip.

Fast forward quite a few years and we live in the foothills and have a child (and a new dog since moving here). Still love it but of course our needs and wants as a couple changed as we grew and had a child to consider also. I'd enjoy living in the CBD if it was just the two of us but then also love the hills. So many options and something to suit everyone I think. Beaches not far away when we want them and can be in the city within 30 minutes too.