Statistics - time it takes to find a job

The majority of these jobs were not advertised elsewhere' date=' often because the employer either did not want to deal with or simply could not manage the volume of applications they would receive if they put the job on seek.[/quote']

The apprenticeship wasn't advertised..

none of them will be advertised..

Is it just me, or is there a number of deeply unsettling factors about these statements, not the least of which it seems people think it's normal to make them openly ???

I'm not critizicing the posters, but if the culture of adelaide is openly accepting of the fact that recruitment is not transparent and open, then how on earth are you going to get the best people for the job ?

Meadow's you have my deepest and heartfelt empathy and compassion, all I can say is keep your boy tenacious.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or is there a number of deeply unsettling factors about these statements, not the least of which it seems people think it's normal to make them openly ???

I'm not critizicing the posters, but if the culture of adelaide is openly accepting of the fact that recruitment is not transparent and open, then how on earth are you going to get the best people for the job ?

Meadow's you have my deepest and heartfelt empathy and compassion, all I can say is keep your boy tenacious.

While I do understand your frustration at some of Adelaide's thinking regarding recruitment, I think in this case you are looking for something sinister that isn't there!

For example one of my contacts advertised for a temporary data entry/clerical role and received 600 applications. Small businesses do not have the capacity to deal with this amount of applications. In fact many medium and large businesses do not have the capacity to deal with large volumes of applications and I have worked on 2 recruitment projects where almost the whole recruiting team has been 'temps' to assist with the volume and the recruitment process, this is fairly normal business practice to outsource some of the process either to recruitment agencies or to bring in temporary staff to assist.

In the example I gave of the College I worked at, businesses mainly small ones, would contact the College regarding their vacancy. As an experienced and qualified HR professional/recruiter/trainer and assessor I was responsible for advertising the vacancies to our students and going through a recruitment and selection process. This process is the same as an employer contacting a recruitment agency for staff, the agency staff looking through their database of registered candidates and putting them forward. The College was able to assist newly qualified students gain work and the businesses that contacted us benefitted from recruiting someone who was skilled in current technologies and practices.

We all know that many areas of employment in Adelaide are getting tougher and tougher. In the last couple of weeks alone, I know of 6 businesses (small, medium and large businesses) that have made redundancies and another one that has reduced staff hours. People need to have the initiative to get creative with their job searches and also understand the varying methods people can access jobs, which is what my post (and Tamara's) was highlighting. Often people are hindering their chances of employment without even realising it. For example one of my clients had a 4 page resume and wasn't getting any interest, we reduced it to 2 pages taking out a lot of information that I considered irrelevant or confusing to a recruiter/employer in the sector they were applying and suddenly the client was getting positive responses. What a parent, partner, relative or friend may think, is often different to how a recruiter/employer will view it.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would add another statistic to this thread! I was reading this article today and did a double take at this one.....

Mr O’Neil said people who lose their jobs over the age of 50 find themselves out of the workforce for 72 weeks on average and are therefore more likely to embrace schemes that help them remain active and maintain their skills.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/the-grey-army-now-signing-up-to--work-for-dole-to-get-back-to-work/news-story/ea9fb635641de015133a0734a24bd6f5

• 1 month later...
I thought I would add another statistic to this thread! I was reading this article today and did a double take at this one.....

Mr O’Neil said people who lose their jobs over the age of 50 find themselves out of the workforce for 72 weeks on average and are therefore more likely to embrace schemes that help them remain active and maintain their skills.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/the-grey-army-now-signing-up-to--work-for-dole-to-get-back-to-work/news-story/ea9fb635641de015133a0734a24bd6f5

Advert in the paper today, appearing to address the issue...

50.jpg

Hi Jessica.

I have read that before. Wonder why is Adelaide isn't doing so well? Holden closing - that would affect a lot of business ....even down to the local shops, cleaners.... It affects more than we know.

Holden is due to close in 2017 and yes as you say it will affect a lot more than the factory workers on the line. The problem is there will also be finance, HR, payroll, admin, managers, cleaners, maintenance etc etc for Holden and associated businesses and these people will also be looking for work in an already over subscribed job market. However, and this is just my personal opinion, the Holden staff have previously had very generous terms and conditions for unskilled work (and generous redundancy payouts) and will receive additional support that many other people that find themselves out of work don't receive.

Just noticed this article on news.com.au......

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/end-of-the-line-for-400-jobs-and-the-locally-made-holden-cruze-but-commodore-to-stay-until-late-2017/news-story/2164c4271ce12c80ef6369ee30b17481

Edited by Jessica Berry
Added news article

11 Months thats how long it took me.... longer than I thought.....

I was wondering how you were going. So pleased to hear you've found something. Did you end up staying in Adelaide or heading elsewhere.

Hope you are enjoying your work now and things are all good with the family.

Thanks Snifter, We decided to stay in Adelaide after all, we wanted to fulfil our moral obligation on the 190 visa and wanted give Adelaide every chance.... I applied for all types of Account management, Sales jobs etc but did not get one interview in Adelaide, not even a phone interview. But last month I finally got called into an interview at a sales job (the same industry I was in back in Sri Lanka- Broadcast Media) Initially it will be a 3 month contract, Its not what I was hoping for, but I just want to get my foot in to the industry. I think I am blessed to get back into same industry, but I'd like to reiterate that I was not picky at all in applying for all other jobs or industries.... I start on Monday :-)

Thanks Snifter, We decided to stay in Adelaide after all, we wanted to fulfil our moral obligation on the 190 visa and wanted give Adelaide every chance.... I applied for all types of Account management, Sales jobs etc but did not get one interview in Adelaide, not even a phone interview. But last month I finally got called into an interview at a sales job (the same industry I was in back in Sri Lanka- Broadcast Media) Initially it will be a 3 month contract, Its not what I was hoping for, but I just want to get my foot in to the industry. I think I am blessed to get back into same industry, but I'd like to reiterate that I was not picky at all in applying for all other jobs or industries.... I start on Monday :-)

Congratulations. I really admire your perseverance. That is a long time and most people would have given up by now. I hope that the job works out and that it becomes permanent after the 3 months. I hope that you are happy with other aspects of life in Adelaide. I have seen your car outside the house but as you know a health issue is hanging over our social life and I didn't want it to weigh down on anyone...anyway, all the best! :smile:

Hi Tamara, Thanks. We love Port Noarlunga the kids have integrated well at school and my son played cricket for the Port Noarlunga cricket team this last season and has even started footy this week. Please say Hi, drop by anytime you pass by.

Edited by etch123

Hi Tamara, Thanks. We love Port Noarlunga the kids have integrated well at school and my son played cricket for the Port Noarlunga cricket team this last season and has even started footy this week. Please say drop by anytime you pass by.

Thank you so much for this. We will try!

So sorry to hear that it took so long to land a job in your field but so pleased that your family is happy in the Port Noarlunga area.

Hi Jessica.

I have read that before. Wonder why is Adelaide isn't doing so well? Holden closing - that would affect a lot of business ....even down to the local shops, cleaners.... It affects more than we know.

The Government has a plan, although no one seems sure where the numbers have come from! :idea: Definitely think there is some material here for an episode of Utopia.....

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/utopia/

Doubts cast on post-Holden jobs target in Northern Economic Plan

March 8, 2016 1:20pm Elizabeth Henson Northern Messenger

9b17675a94cb65c4a6ea139c1003299c?width=650

Automotive Transformation Minister Kyam Maher.DOUBTS have been cast over the credibility of the State Government’s plan to keep SA’s economy afloat post-Holden amid confusion over who came up with the blueprint’s jobs target.

Automotive Transformation Minister Kyam Maher has told State Parliament the 15,000 jobs target set out in the Northern Economic Plan was created by the Playford, Port Adelaide Enfield and Salisbury mayors and himself.

“There weren’t any consultants involved in coming up with this target,” he said.

“This was an aim that has been put forward by the local mayors and myself.”

However, one mayor claims he learnt of the 15,000 jobs target the night before the plan was launched, another says he found out about the aim after the plan was officially released and the third cannot recall arriving at the jobs target.

Opposition spokesman Rob Lucas says it appears the figure has been “plucked out of the air”, throwing the integrity of the entire plan, which aims to generate jobs to cushion the fallout of the closure of Holden’s Elizabeth plant in 2017, into doubt.

“Clearly this 15,000 job number was not developed as a result of discussions between the three mayors and the minister, as the minister claimed,” he said.

“The minister has also indicated in parliament that (the) Treasury (department) didn’t produce the number and that no outside consultants were employed to produce the number so were left with the burning question — who actually came up with this 15,000 number?

“It cast significant doubt and questions over the credibility of the whole plan.”

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson told the Northern Messenger he first heard of the 15,000 jobs target after the plan was launched.

ffd086efb01b485f0ce77d4ec6972777?width=316&api_key=e62jprfqb37dchg3qzg2jujr

Port Adelaide Enfield Mayor Gary Johanson.Mr Johnason said he spoke to the minister just before Christmas to implore him to set a jobs target in the plan.

“I didn’t set an actual figure with him,” he said.

“I told him what we’ve got to do now is we’ve got to have some targets to aim for.

“Give us a target and give us something to hang our hat on.”

Mr Johanson said he believed the 15,000 jobs target was achievable but questioned how any jobs aim could be created.

“How do you accurately say it will be 15,000 and not 14,000 or 20,000?” he said.

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty said he learnt of the 15,000 jobs target when he received the final draft of the plan the evening before it was launched in January.

“Government officials discussed with council staff about aspirational job targets throughout the early stages of the plan,” he said.

65f20fa734414e7c31670a9e6517fe0a?width=316&api_key=e62jprfqb37dchg3qzg2jujr

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty.“I saw the final target set down by the government the day before the plan was launched.”

Salisbury Mayor Gillian Aldridge said she recalled discussing a jobs target during the creation of the plan but was unsure when the 15,000 figure was created.

“I understand that we talked about a job target,” she said.

“I can’t remember at this stage at what stage we made that amount.

“I can’t remember sitting down with the other mayors and saying yes, 15,000 is the target.”

The Northern Messenger asked Automotive Transformation Minister Kyam Maher to explain the conflicting stories and what the jobs target was based on.

“The development of the Northern Economic Plan — including the goal of increasing employment in northern Adelaide by 15,000 to 165,000 by 2025 — was discussed at numerous meetings of the plan’s Implementation Group, which included senior representatives from State Government agencies and the councils,” he said.

Mr Maher refused to provide a breakdown of which sectors or industries these jobs would be created.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Do people still invite you to parties JB? Just kidding, knowledge is power!!

Haha, I guess it's a bit of a weird hobby! I was the same when I lived in the UK I would read the jobs paper and think that job would be a perfect match for so and so (even if they weren't looking!!) and next minute they had an interview!

A tradie visited work today and I asked him if he was busy at work and next minute I know all about the dramas at the company and his life story, my colleagues think it's funny.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Haha, I guess it's a bit of a weird hobby! I was the same when I lived in the UK I would read the jobs paper and think that job would be a perfect match for so and so (even if they weren't looking!!) and next minute they had an interview!

A tradie visited work today and I asked him if he was busy at work and next minute I know all about the dramas at the company and his life story, my colleagues think it's funny.

If you have great interest in what you do for a living, more power to you. I've read all your posts on the current job market, and would have given you more likes, but that would just make me appear like a misery vampire, sitting alone in a darkened room with bloodshot red eyes and snarling teeth 'I need bad news and misery to feed off, where is it?'. When in reality nothing could be further from the truth.

I have been in Adelaide for 13 month, still not even an interview.. it's getting harder and harder... What is the problem in Adelaide..?

At the moment it's fair to say the Adelaide job market, in certain sectors at least is a bit dodge. Obviously if there are no jobs in your industry it's self explanatory, you can't apply for a job that doesn't exist. If however there are jobs being advertised in your industry or your applying for what you believe to be a parallel job roll in a different industry, and your still getting no where, my suspicion would fall on your resume. Your resume is essentially a key, it may fit the lock, but if it don't turn that door won't open. This must be a very frustrating position to be in, worse in many respects to no jobs at all.

If I were in such a position I would be seeking advice and guidance from someone like Jessica Berry above. It could be that your resume reads well, but something's lost in translation, maybe parallels are clear to you, but missed by those in receipt. I'd also take along some examples of cover letters you've sent, so an eye can be cast. I totally get it may be a slightly bitter pill for intelligent and qualified people to swallow, almost akin to getting mummy to help you across the road, but sometimes you just can't see for looking. TBH, I can't imagine you'd have to sell your car to pay for this service, it means your being even more proactive, which in turn breeds positivity, confidence and empowers you. At least if your resumes spot on it's not that. Right I'm off for meditation and a chant, as it appears I've gone new age, translated that means a bacon sarnie and a cuppa, do you see.

Ps Just to point out I am not JB's sales guru, she could be a bald guy with a beard, living in India for all I know. Good luck all.

At the moment it's fair to say the Adelaide job market, in certain sectors at least is a bit dodge. Obviously if there are no jobs in your industry it's self explanatory, you can't apply for a job that doesn't exist. If however there are jobs being advertised in your industry or your applying for what you believe to be a parallel job roll in a different industry, and your still getting no where, my suspicion would fall on your resume. Your resume is essentially a key, it may fit the lock, but if it don't turn that door won't open. This must be a very frustrating position to be in, worse in many respects to no jobs at all.

If I were in such a position I would be seeking advice and guidance from someone like Jessica Berry above. It could be that your resume reads well, but something's lost in translation, maybe parallels are clear to you, but missed by those in receipt. I'd also take along some examples of cover letters you've sent, so an eye can be cast. I totally get it may be a slightly bitter pill for intelligent and qualified people to swallow, almost akin to getting mummy to help you across the road, but sometimes you just can't see for looking. TBH, I can't imagine you'd have to sell your car to pay for this service, it means your being even more proactive, which in turn breeds positivity, confidence and empowers you. At least if your resumes spot on it's not that. Right I'm off for meditation and a chant, as it appears I've gone new age, translated that means a bacon sarnie and a cuppa, do you see.

Ps Just to point out I am not JB's sales guru, she could be a bald guy with a beard, living in India for all I know. Good luck all.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a friend who moved here about 5 years ago. Applied for loads of jobs and became very despondent by his lack of success. He had his cv redone (after being told again and again that it wasn't in the right format). The interviews then started coming in.

He went a step further and through a great consultant managed to get some promising interviews.

He was successful with a senior management position but the funny thing was that in the same mail delivery he received two letters...one told him that he was unsuccessful and should apply again, and the other one was to say that he had the position. The unsuccessful letter was just a standard reply that he received to his own application and not the one through the consultant!

He started work the following week.

I couldn't agree more.

I have a friend who moved here about 5 years ago. Applied for loads of jobs and became very despondent by his lack of success. He had his cv redone (after being told again and again that it wasn't in the right format). The interviews then started coming in.

He went a step further and through a great consultant managed to get some promising interviews.

He was successful with a senior management position but the funny thing was that in the same mail delivery he received two letters...one told him that he was unsuccessful and should apply again, and the other one was to say that he had the position. The unsuccessful letter was just a standard reply that he received to his own application and not the one through the consultant!

He started work the following week.

Thanks a lot both of you guys.. Anyway, can you tell me about a good consultant..?

Thanks a lot both of you guys.. Anyway, can you tell me about a good consultant..?

Can't directly recommend anyone as, but as mentioned in my post PIA member Jessica Berry (above) appears to be a careers adviser offering resume advice etc. I'd start off by sending her an enquiry by PM (private message) and take it from there. In my view someone who is a migrant themselves, will understand your situation better than a local.