Clapping people

flossybeth

who haven't really done anything; they do it at school assembly when the children hosting introduce the Head at the end for notices and awards and last week I was listening to a memorial service on the radio for Hugh Stretton and every time a new speaker came to give a eulogy the 'audience' gave them a round of applause - this was before they'd even spoken and I'm not sure even if what they did have to say about Hugh was lovely/moving etc that applause is right at a memorial service.

Is it an Aussie thing, is it one of those 'let's make everyone feel special' thing or is it just me?

I think clapping before someone speaks is to welcome them, whilst after is to show you appreciate their time, and / or agree with their comments.

I've been to four funerals here (sadly), but it was only the last one that I recall clapping after the eulogies. It was for a much-loved friend, and the clapping was heartfelt and united us all in our grief.

I thought the one-minute's applause as a mark of respect for Phil Hughes, at the recent Showdown, was a lovely touch.

LC

It's not just an Aussie thing, they have started to do it here in the UK too. I tihnk Lazy Cow is right, clapping before someone speaks is to welcome them.

Personally I find it annoying..."well done you managed to walk on to the stage... Yay!!" Perhaps that is just me being moody :P