flossybeth

Clapping people

who haven't really done anything; they do it at school assembly when the children hosting introduce the Head at the end for notices and awards and last week I was listening to a memorial service on the radio for Hugh Stretton and every time a new speaker came to give a eulogy the 'audience' gave them a round of applause - this was before they'd even spoken and I'm not sure even if what they did have to say about Hugh was lovely/moving etc that applause is right at a memorial service.

Is it an Aussie thing, is it one of those 'let's make everyone feel special' thing or is it just me?

I've thought the same on occasion at school. I figure there they are being enthusiastic as its kids.

Not sure about other events, I've not really paid attention.

I think clapping before someone speaks is to welcome them, whilst after is to show you appreciate their time, and / or agree with their comments.

I've been to four funerals here (sadly), but it was only the last one that I recall clapping after the eulogies. It was for a much-loved friend, and the clapping was heartfelt and united us all in our grief.

I thought the one-minute's applause as a mark of respect for Phil Hughes, at the recent Showdown, was a lovely touch.

LC

It's not just an Aussie thing, they have started to do it here in the UK too. I tihnk Lazy Cow is right, clapping before someone speaks is to welcome them.

Personally I find it annoying..."well done you managed to walk on to the stage... Yay!!" Perhaps that is just me being moody :P

We had a group of happy clappers knock on our door the other week:biglaugh:

But seriously, I dont get the whole clap to welcome you gig.