Snake under fridge in Moana

snifter

:wideeyed:

And he just strolls over and picks it up. You Tube clip of it also can be seen here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-13/adelaide-woman-finds-pregnant-eastern-brown-under-her-fridge/7085206

Deadly, pregnant eastern brown snake found under Adelaide fridge

891 ABC Adelaide

By Tom Fedorowytsch

Updated about 2 hours ago

7085196-3x4-340x453.jpgPHOTO: An eastern brown snake found under a fridge of an Adelaide home went on to lay about 14 eggs after being captured. (Facebook: Snake Catchers Adelaide)

MAP: Moana 5169

A pregnant, venomous eastern brown snake has been retrieved from underneath a refrigerator at a beachside home in Adelaide.

Snake catcher Rolly Burrell caught the snake in the kitchen of the home at Moana, to the relief of the shocked owners.

He told 891 ABC Adelaide the fridge made an ideal nest for the female snake.

"There's a bit of humidity down there and there's just the right sort of temperature to incubate eggs actually, so it's a very good spot for a snake," he said.

"It's probably the first one I've seen in 40 years of catching snakes, but she decided that she was going to lay them there I think."

The snake has since laid more than a dozen eggs in captivity.

A video taken by Mr Burrell shows him carefully shifting the fridge so he can pick the snake up, bare-handed.

"Oh my goodness, oh my God, he's a big one, don't let him go," the owner can be heard exclaiming in the background.

The snake catcher said it was lucky the owners had seen the snake's head pop out from under the fridge, or she could have had a problem in a few months' time when the eggs hatched.

"Usually the brown snakes will lay [their eggs] and she will leave," Mr Burrell said.

"If I were to let her go, somewhere else, she would have probably died, the eggs would have died, so we are just nursing the eggs and looking after her for a few weeks."

Mr Burrell said the snake was not aggressive.

"They don't come chasing people and bite people. If you leave them alone and have a healthy respect for them, they aren't a problem."

Snifter...how thoughtful of you to keep us up to date.

Moana !?

....Moana? -isn't that the tiny place next to a Conservation Park about 40 Kms south of the city, as the crow flies?

Thank you so much for alerting all our new friends, to this clear and present threat to our wellbeing:

"do not, under any circumstances, wander around Moana without shoes on, and don't go flying around on crows"

PS did I ever tell you about my encounter with a S N A K E ?

-oh, but I digress........... that was in the outback of Western Australia, 30 years ago

JB :swoon:

They are everywhere (no really...there's a thread on here about how many people have seen one and it's not that much!).

Anyway, this wasn't that long ago...and a bit closer to the city!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/west-beaches/snake-puts-an-end-to-sunbaking-fun-at-an-adelaide-beach/news-story/a6a64ee82e680118ebb482570a81826e

Moana !?

....Moana? -isn't that the tiny place next to a Conservation Park about 40 Kms south of the city, as the crow flies?

Thank you so much for alerting all our new friends, to this clear and present threat to our wellbeing:

"do not, under any circumstances, wander around Moana without shoes on, and don't go flying around on crows"

-oh, but I digress........... that was in the outback of Western Australia, 30 years ago

Moana's not so tiny anymore John, in fact there's barely any space from Aldinga up.

Mr Burrell said the snake was not aggressive.

"They don't come chasing people and bite people. If you leave them alone and have a healthy respect for them, they aren't a problem."

It was on the news yesterday I think saying that it's baby brown snake season and they are much more aggressive than adults and you do need to look out for those. So a nest of them in your kitchen is probably want to avoid lol.

Moana !?

Did I seem like I was panicking? I was rather bemused he just picked it up was more like it :cute:

Its hardly putting people off moving here lol. Far more important things to consider when migrating than snakes IMHO if you are weighing things up. I posted it as it was a local news story and was unusual. She was laying out of the normal season and had picked out under someones fridge. And as the snake catcher said in the clip, he's never known that in 40 years. So its hardly like it happens all the time.

I've seen a brown snake here. At the time it was a bit of a shock but we remembered our snake rules and it went on its way and we lived to tell the tale. Snakes are common and part and parcel of living here, most people will probably never see one though. My husband grew up here and has never seen one. That I have I count as a bonus in amongst all the other amazing wildlife I've seen. It was a stunning creature to see move and I only wish I'd be able to enjoy the experience more at the time rather than being on alert till it passed us.