2017 is just around the corner

snifter

I got to thinking this morning when I saw a picture on FB and a comment from someone along the lines of 'Nice to see a pic of home'. It had also been my home, my hometown many years ago in fact when I left it the first time round but when I saw that picture and the comment, it struck me how clear it was to me that there wasn't 'home' to me anymore. And that it hadn't been since we left.

I don't refer to it as 'home' at all, not since we moved as it no longer is (same for every move I've made in the adult life I guess). Nor do I refer to the UK or England as 'home' either. Australia is home, Adelaide is home. To move the other side of the world and then call a place so far away 'home' just doesn't work for me. Home is where I am, where my family is and that is it. My old hometown yes, my old home, yes, but home, no.

Its been over 3 years since we moved here and we've had some struggles to overcome but we've built a life here, are happy and settled and its home. Perhaps I'm lucky in how I view this, perhaps lucky I don't suffer homesickness or miss people we left behind, perhaps its because I've moved a fair few times now around the world and just get on with living rather than hankering for what I left behind. I had a trip back to the UK 18 months ago and after 10 days or so I was ready to head home to Aus, to Adelaide. I said as much to my husband when we skyped one night and had to smile at how I felt.

As a new year comes round I'm very thankful for our life here, appreciate what we have, what we have gained and also can reflect and realise what we may have lost along the way. Migrating isn't easy and for all the positives there can be some negatives but that is the same in all aspects of life.

Our first New Year's eve here we spent down at Glenelg on the beach, it was in the low 30's, the water was warm and we watched the family friendly firework display and ate fish and chips on the beach and followed it up with some lovely gelato. The past couple of new year's eve's we've spent at the Big Bash T20 cricket and had a great night. Again, fireworks, atmosphere and my family so all good.

This year we've decided not to go to the cricket. Instead we are opting for the beach, probably Brighton this time and fireworks again although the weather being cooler the water may not be as warm. We'll enjoy the display then wander back home. Home. I love that word and the sense of fulfilment it gives me to say it.

Anyways, just wanting to wish everyone a Happy New Year and all the best for 2017 :smile:

I got to thinking this morning when I saw a picture on FB and a comment from someone along the lines of 'Nice to see a pic of home'. It had also been my home, my hometown many years ago in fact when I left it the first time round but when I saw that picture and the comment, it struck me how clear it was to me that there wasn't 'home' to me anymore. And that it hadn't been since we left.

I don't refer to it as 'home' at all, not since we moved as it no longer is (same for every move I've made in the adult life I guess). Nor do I refer to the UK or England as 'home' either. Australia is home, Adelaide is home. To move the other side of the world and then call a place so far away 'home' just doesn't work for me. Home is where I am, where my family is and that is it. My old hometown yes, my old home, yes, but home, no.

Its been over 3 years since we moved here and we've had some struggles to overcome but we've built a life here, are happy and settled and its home. Perhaps I'm lucky in how I view this, perhaps lucky I don't suffer homesickness or miss people we left behind, perhaps its because I've moved a fair few times now around the world and just get on with living rather than hankering for what I left behind. I had a trip back to the UK 18 months ago and after 10 days or so I was ready to head home to Aus, to Adelaide. I said as much to my husband when we skyped one night and had to smile at how I felt.

As a new year comes round I'm very thankful for our life here, appreciate what we have, what we have gained and also can reflect and realise what we may have lost along the way. Migrating isn't easy and for all the positives there can be some negatives but that is the same in all aspects of life.

Our first New Year's eve here we spent down at Glenelg on the beach, it was in the low 30's, the water was warm and we watched the family friendly firework display and ate fish and chips on the beach and followed it up with some lovely gelato. The past couple of new year's eve's we've spent at the Big Bash T20 cricket and had a great night. Again, fireworks, atmosphere and my family so all good.

This year we've decided not to go to the cricket. Instead we are opting for the beach, probably Brighton this time and fireworks again although the weather being cooler the water may not be as warm. We'll enjoy the display then wander back home. Home. I love that word and the sense of fulfilment it gives me to say it.

Anyways, just wanting to wish everyone a Happy New Year and all the best for 2017 :smile:

Happy New year Snifter what a wonderful post, Home is really where you make it, for us, it's where we are at any one time.

One thing I have learned from our time in SA is to be thankful for what you've got and what is important to you, in our terms, our most precious possession is time, time with the children, as it can all change in a blink of an eye.

I read somewhere once, that life is not the big things, it's a massive collection of lots of little things that make up life :)

Still ......Adelaide (grumble grumble :);) )

Great post and so true. You really have to embrace your new home and make what you can of it. If it works great, if not you may want to move on. It's easy to criticise when it isn't working, however the reality is in today's crazy world, Adelaide is a fantastic and amazing place with so many incredible things to do on its door step. Hey it may not be perfect for everyone but if it works for you great. Here's to 2017...

• 2 weeks later...

Although I lived in Australia for 50 years I still used to regard England as home, but now that I am back here, I realise that Adelaide was truly my home. I've just been watching "Wanted Down Under Revisited" on TV and I'm in tears.

Yesterday at the pharmacy I mentioned that I would like to be back in Adelaide for some warmth, and another pharmacist I hadn't seen before called out "Is that Adelaide Australia?" She is from Perth and is only here under sufferance because her boyfriend is English.