Travel insurance - for UK trip

soo_the_panda

Hi. Wondered what people generally do re. travel insurance when returning to the UK for holidays/to visit family? I am British and now also an Australian citizen. My partner is Australian. Our daughter has an Australian passport, was born here, but dual citizen as I am British.

I have always just purchased an annual travel insurance policy, but ours is currently out of date. We don't have any other big trips planned this year, so wondering about purchasing cover just for a trip this year which is 3 weeks in the UK visiting family and 2 weeks in France. Presumably I am covered for medical issues in the UK and I wouldn't need to be insured for spending time in the UK in my parents' home... but obviously want to be covered for any flight issues / trip cancellation / luggage loss.

Or is there no way to separate these, and we need just to buy general travel insurance cover, just as any Australian family would when visiting the UK? Thanks in advance for any advice!

We're going to when we head back to the UK for a visit in August. Regardless of whether you feel you need it in the UK you could be liable for a massive medical bill were you to fall ill mid flight and end up having medical treatment somewhere enroute. Plus, as you mentioned, I'd want to be covered for lost luggage, trip cancellations due to ill health etc.

Additionally, as we're planning on hitting a car for a portion of our stay, it usually works out significantly cheaper to buy travel insurance which includes rental car excess cover than it would to do that through the car rental company. It pretty much pays for itself that way...

Whether you can separate out the components I'm not sure but if, for example, you cut out medical cover you'd be liable if you need treatment somewhere other than the UK. However remote that possibility might be.

I found the cheapest insurance for myself was through my credit card, but they generally will not cover family members with any pre existing conditions.  

I think that relatives are also covered under the reciprocal health agreement with UK.

But there are many more things covered under travel insurance and I would not leave the country with out it,  having had to use it in the past. 

Thanks, both. No, I'm not surprised... I didn't think there was any easy way of avoiding paying the normal way - but wanted to check. Good point re car hire (not car hitting - ha!) yes, definitely worth doing it that way than the obscene amount that the car rental agencies charge. Thank you both for your replies :)

Our credit card gives us travel insurance and reduces the excess for car rental as long as we use it to pay for the flights and car hire.

We're going to the UK, Belgium and France next month ( British family of 4) and we're not planning on buying any separate travel insurance