887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

2 minutes ago, nudgee said:

This is the first time I see an official statement about functional English request, so it’s purely based on luck and it is intentional. CO can request the English for primary if they want.

Well....i am not bothered as i can prove my functional English and I don't have to waste my time and go for test..

3 minutes ago, nudgee said:

This is the first time I see an official statement about functional English request, so it’s purely based on luck and it is intentional. CO can request the English for primary if they want.

I think CO may ask you for English depends on the nature of your job and also whether you have studied or fit it more in Australia in the past etc.

That thing is coming into mind, asking proof of language can have some relation to our 489 qualification and skill level

• Like 1

but its look like for secondary applicant its a 100 % mistake

On the attachment it said they might ask you to provide functional English even if you have already met the English condition on provisional stage. so it’s not a a mistake unfortunately.

On the attachment it said they might ask you to provide functional English even if you have already met the English condition on provisional stage. so it’s not a a mistake unfortunately.

We need to upload degree certificates ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, nudgee said:

as far as i can see its not written anywhere in any paper which says primary applicant need to provide either on 489 extended pathway too

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scorpio2011 said:

Here the question is.

All 489 offshore applicants with having their degrees completed overseas too, had provided proof of Functional English while applying for 489. DIBP checklist does not specify onshore or offshore requirements for 887 separately. 887 requirements are same for everyone. 

Is that COs think, 489 offshore applicants are going to degrade the level of English after coming to Australia.

Well this is my opinion. No offences please. 

Yes i agree with you , we can only speculate as only the co knows why they are requesting them and if so why there is no consistency in those requests , why one co asks for the ielts and another don't , I've just requested a letter from my uni today so will be submitting it with my certificate and transcripts ,  just in case the co decides to play ielts roulette with our applications 

• Thanks 1

as far as i can see its not written anywhere in any paper which says primary applicant need to provide either on 489 extended pathway too

Yea it’s not fair I understand, but CO even use the migration law 1958 to back them up and telling applicants it’s not a mistake English ability is a time of decision. Sadly they are not making things easier.

They will never tell you why some applicants get direct grants and some are asked to provide English. I guess it’s depends on applicants job and qualification, whether the job require more English communication etc. Everyone’s circumstances is different. But at the end of the day it’s COs personal judgement.

3 minutes ago, nudgee said:

Yea it’s not fair I understand, but CO even use the migration law 1968 to back them up and telling applicants it’s not a mistake English ability is a time of decision. Sadly they are not making things easier.

They will never tell you why some applicants get direct grants and some are asked to provide English. I guess it’s depends on applicants job and qualification, whether the job require more English communication etc. But at the end of the day it’s COs personal judgement.

i checked that law migration  1958 and read it its nowhere written too ....only secondary applicant need to proof in legislation migration act 1958 in 887 visa section i read it 

Edited by Salman khan

29 minutes ago, Navdeep047 said:

i didn't....this is what i got with the request... so i have just provided my Bachelor and Masters degreewhich says medium of instruction was English...and my agent also included a request for review as to why am i asked to provide this.

Screenshot_20200513-140632_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Thanks for sharing this, it makes sense now on the rationale behind such requests. 

Now as many suggested this could subjective  to some applications and not all, purely based on individual circumstances. Type of Employment/Education Background could be  one of the leading factor for the case officer to make call on the request for functional English. 

Meanwhile I revisited  the act, Reference point 5 Interpretation states below,

(2)  For the purposes of this Act, a person has functional English at a particular time if:

(a)  the person passes a test that:

(i)  is approved in writing by the Minister for the purposes of this subsection; and

(ii)  is conducted by a person, or organisation, approved for the purposes of this subsection by the Minister by notice in the Gazette; or

(b)  the person provides the Minister with prescribed evidence of the person’s English language proficiency.

So what does this mean to existing application - Conservative approach, Upload or produce any existing evidence which demonstrates Functional English without being asked for.

You may or may not be asked for the question. The question you need to answer is are you willing to take that chance and further push the decision on your application?

Best of luck. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nudgee said:

489 provisional stage required at least competent language not functional language  for primary applicant in order to grant 489 visa

1 hour ago, Navdeep047 said:

I was primary applicant for 489 amd now primary for 887 but Co asked to provide functional english. I asked my agent to complain but she just told me that they will send my higher degree and transcripts.

Also, asked for son's medical who is nine months which we have booked in tomorrow afternoon. Can anybody please tell me if they are going to do any blood 

No blood test for kid less than 2 yr

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TTTF said:

Thanks for sharing this, it makes sense now on the rationale behind such requests. 

Now as many suggested this could subjective  to some applications and not all, purely based on individual circumstances. Type of Employment/Education Background could be  one of the leading factor for the case officer to make call on the request for functional English. 

Meanwhile I revisited  the act, Reference point 5 Interpretation states below,

(2)  For the purposes of this Act, a person has functional English at a particular time if:

(a)  the person passes a test that:

(i)  is approved in writing by the Minister for the purposes of this subsection; and

(ii)  is conducted by a person, or organisation, approved for the purposes of this subsection by the Minister by notice in the Gazette; or

(b)  the person provides the Minister with prescribed evidence of the person’s English language proficiency.

So what does this mean to existing application - Conservative approach, Upload or produce any existing evidence which demonstrates Functional English without being asked for.

You may or may not be asked for the question. The question you need to answer is are you willing to take that chance and further push the decision on your application?

Best of luck. 

got your point .. don't give chance to CO to upload unusual documents which is not been asked

• Like 2

489 provisional stage required at least competent language not functional language  for primary applicant in order to grant 489 visa

I under your point and I never agree CO should ask the primary English again, it’s common sense that we all have more than functional English for sure when we reach the 887 stage. However, for the department they can find any excuse.  

Same goes to IELTs and PTE validity...someone might have got IELTS 7 in each band in 2015, but they still need to provide English again if they apply for 489 in 2019 and the English requirement is only ielts 6.

Sadly the fact is the department don’t use common sense, they only collect evidences so they can close the case with confidence..

Let’s hope most of you guys won’t have to provide that, god bless

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Navdeep047 said:

And can please somone tell what test would be done for a 9 month old... Do they have to get blood tests done as i know a 9 month old won't require X ray

It will be a physical examination only , doctor will check him and will ask you questions , no blood work or xray

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Salman khan said:

got your point .. don't give chance to CO to upload unusual documents which is not been asked

It could have been beneficial if this requirement was stated in the 887 checklist /requirements to avoid speculation and doubt. One can always defend this legally, but again do we have time for all this.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dar8 said:

Yes i agree with you , we can only speculate as only the co knows why they are requesting them and if so why there is no consistency in those requests , why one co asks for the ielts and another don't , I've just requested a letter from my uni today so will be submitting it with my certificate and transcripts ,  just in case the co decides to play ielts roulette with our applications 

Yeah you are right. Looking at the current situation, it is favorable to upload certificates and transcripts well in advance to avoid unnecessary questioning. 

i didn't....this is what i got with the request... so i have just provided my Bachelor and Masters degreewhich says medium of instruction was English...and my agent also included a request for review as to why am i asked to provide this.
970281569_Screenshot_20200513-140632_YahooMail.thumb.jpg.8273e628eb7a3c951e2bf2849e8a2d3e.jpg

Thanks for sharing the screenshot, it explains a lot.
  • Like 1