887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

Hi there,

I’m emailing on behalf of my husband is notoriously nonchalant about his Visa situation. I think he has PTSD and just avoids talking about it!

I am an Australian citizen but when I married him, he was on a 489 regional subclass sponsored visa. He had completed his 2 years of work by Dec 2017 (pre-req for applying for 887 PR), but instead of applying for the 887 PR visa  straight away in Jan 2018, he only applied in July 2018 (his typical avoidant behaviour when it comes to Visas!). 

He’s a full time employee who is going to be getting his 7 years of long service leave in November this year. He has been waiting for a response on his 887 visa now for 14 months  (July 2018 to present September 2019).

I was blissfully unaware of all the rules and complexities of the whole Australian visa system and have only understood it recently, when it started affecting my travel plans and also, when I started to wonder why we were waiting endlessly for a response on his 887 while he is still on his substantive 489 which will expire on 30 December 2019.

My parents have booked us all an expensive holiday trip overseas for 9/10 days (leaving 21 December 2019 and scheduled to be arriving back on 29 December 2019 at 11:20pm) for which it will be difficult getting a refund. He didn’t really mention all of these complexities, and I’ve been left to do the research to look into our options and risks.

my questions are, if we were to go on this trip:

- if we apply for a bridging visa B from 21 Dec 2019 to say 5 Jan 2020 (just in case flights are delayed), would there be any issues doing that and would that mitigate any risks of him being blocked re-entering the country? 

- is there therefore a risk that if his 887 visa was granted in the 10 days he his overseas (being mindful that we are hoping to have already applied for a BVB and therefore hopefully the Australian government  would be aware that we would be away for 10 days), that his application would be refused?

- the last option is that he not go on the trip altogether for which $6,500 would go to waste. But I’d rather he be safe than sorry.

any experts out there, any advice or thoughts you could give us?

Sincerely

S

3 hours ago, GS2604 said:

I have created hap id for my daughter under 189/489 visa and attached a cover letter in my 887 visa application stating that my daughter have done medical with “hap id no” so please consider this.

it works for me but they requested other documents related to work. 

Hi @GS2604, did you create Hap ID yourself online before lodging 887 visa 

29 minutes ago, Shenal said:

Hi there,

I’m emailing on behalf of my husband is notoriously nonchalant about his Visa situation. I think he has PTSD and just avoids talking about it!

I am an Australian citizen but when I married him, he was on a 489 regional subclass sponsored visa. He had completed his 2 years of work by Dec 2017 (pre-req for applying for 887 PR), but instead of applying for the 887 PR visa  straight away in Jan 2018, he only applied in July 2018 (his typical avoidant behaviour when it comes to Visas!). 

He’s a full time employee who is going to be getting his 7 years of long service leave in November this year. He has been waiting for a response on his 887 visa now for 14 months  (July 2018 to present September 2019).

I was blissfully unaware of all the rules and complexities of the whole Australian visa system and have only understood it recently, when it started affecting my travel plans and also, when I started to wonder why we were waiting endlessly for a response on his 887 while he is still on his substantive 489 which will expire on 30 December 2019.

My parents have booked us all an expensive holiday trip overseas for 9/10 days (leaving 21 December 2019 and scheduled to be arriving back on 29 December 2019 at 11:20pm) for which it will be difficult getting a refund. He didn’t really mention all of these complexities, and I’ve been left to do the research to look into our options and risks.

my questions are, if we were to go on this trip:

- if we apply for a bridging visa B from 21 Dec 2019 to say 5 Jan 2020 (just in case flights are delayed), would there be any issues doing that and would that mitigate any risks of him being blocked re-entering the country? 

- is there therefore a risk that if his 887 visa was granted in the 10 days he his overseas (being mindful that we are hoping to have already applied for a BVB and therefore hopefully the Australian government  would be aware that we would be away for 10 days), that his application would be refused?

- the last option is that he not go on the trip altogether for which $6,500 would go to waste. But I’d rather he be safe than sorry.

any experts out there, any advice or thoughts you could give us?

Sincerely

S

@Shenal

1. Apply bridging visa B and  go for your holidays.. generally BVB is issued anywhere between 30 to 90 days. so don't worry for one or two days delay 

2. The applicant has to be onshore for 887 to be granted, meaning his file will be put on hold ( Assuming it gets picked up) till he returns. I think when one can wait for so long .. 10 days will hardly matter.

3. There is no restrictions for not going on holidays/vacations etc  when 887 is processing.. only thing that will happen is it will delay the process and need to have BVB in case 489 is expired . 

If his file gets picked up you might have a grant prior to your travel dates and avoid all the hassle mentioned above. 

Enjoy! 

2 hours ago, Honey said:

well I applied only 4 days before completion of 730 days n I Call immigration support. They inform me that as per rule you should be eligible for 887 once you completed 730 days in Australia. So he suggests me to write an apology letter to the case officer in my visa application for this. So better to make up your time.

I have heard earlier one guy apply for 887 within one-year n he got a rejection because he didn't wait for 2-year residency condition.

Don't take me negative but it's true. Never give CO's any chance of questioning.

Your case is quite different I guess. You need 2 years residency (730 days) in Australia to be eligible for 887.

However, if someone already have 730 days residence,they are also allowed for short periods of holidays each year (maximum 4 weeks a year). I am also quite confused but many people told me the same, and also from some immigration agency. I did 23 days holidays each year and applied for 887 on the 733th day since the grant of my 489. Hopefully all go well. 

• Like 2

Hi guys, during the time I went back to home country, I made a short trip for 4 - 5 days to Thailand and Taiwan each year in the 2 years. I am wondering if I need to do PCC for Thailand and Taiwan as well? Does anyone get request from CO for these scenario? Many thanks. 

7 hours ago, TTTF said:

You can ask them.. how does the processing time apply to applications.. Ideally it should be when you apply,  as the 887 visa applications are processed as they are received, In your case when you applied it was 7-9 months and hence your application has to be processed in that timeline committed to you.. the increased happen after you applied and hence should not be applied on your application.

If it keeps on increasing.. then you would be in for forever..

I am  also in same situation .waiting for a CO for getting the HAP-ID for my son.He  completed two years . I tried all the options  suggested in this forum.But no luck.

2 hours ago, KC01 said:

Why Australia is so ruthless with us.

Same here ...blaming myself for choosing this visa category and this country to migrate....All they need from migrant is money  it can be in any form  such as University fees...Degrees assessment...Tax ..Temporary residennce  permanent resident ....and if you get married you have to pay for partner ,kids  and for parents as well ...Government policies collapse badly  and now they covering the cost from migrants  what a joke  ....they know  longer they can delay the files more they can make from us such as kids kindergarten ,medical  and much more ..i just wanna say all the bad words to home affairs department 😂😂😂😂

• Sad 1

Hello guys, now I am worried about the 2 years residency requirements before applying 887. I read some of the posts regarding the time spent outside Australia after 489 grant is included in two years residency requirements or not. My agent told me the holiday is counted in 2 years so I applied. My story is:

1. Started to live regional in Jan 2017. 

2. Got invitation for state nomination in Apr 2017.

3. Applied 489 in Apr 18 and got the auto bridging visa on the same day.

4. 489 grant on 18 Sep 2017

5. Went overseas for 2 months on 16 Oct 2017

6. Applied 887 on 18 Sep 2019.  ( 18 Sep 2017- 18 Sep 2019) 2 years Total. 

Do you think I fulfilled the residency requirement? 

Hi Guys, Same problem as 

6 minutes ago, Nkc said:

Hello guys, now I am worried about the 2 years residency requirements before applying 887. I read some of the posts regarding the time spent outside Australia after 489 grant is included in two years residency requirements or not. My agent told me the holiday is counted in 2 years so I applied. My story is:

Hi NKC same issue to me.....did u checked with ur agent about it. I did call today to immi about the same situation I am facing like you and they said that they dont have any clear policy regarding it....but can verify with mara registered agents 🤔 

18 minutes ago, Shanjay1 said:

Hi Guys, Same problem as 

Hi NKC same issue to me.....did u checked with ur agent about it. I did call today to immi about the same situation I am facing like you and they said that they dont have any clear policy regarding it....but can verify with mara registered agents 🤔 

Hi Shanjay, I have applied once my agent confirmed. Don't worry mate. 🙂

Hi Guys i too have same as NKC. But I applied on 4th Aug 2018 and arrived Aus in 3rd Aug 2016. Also after I applied for 887 I changed with job as well but didnt update as I signed into working for a short period. As I already fullfilled my work requirements do I need to update the current short term work? Please advise as I am not sure whether to mention this as an change of circumstance and also not sure that I will be in this job in another couple of months.  Looking forward your advises. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Shanjay1 said:

Hi Guys i too have same as NKC. But I applied on 4th Aug 2018 and arrived Aus in 3rd Aug 2016. Also after I applied for 887 I changed with job as well but didnt update as I signed into working for a short period. As I already fullfilled my work requirements do I need to update the current short term work? Please advise as I am not sure whether to mention this as an change of circumstance and also not sure that I will be in this job in another couple of months.  Looking forward your advises. Thank you.

I have exactly the same job situation as yours but didn't update about the change in circumstances. This is because I have already fullfilled the work requirements so why do I need to mention everything. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nkc said:

I think you should be fine. Not to stress you out but better check with agent if that 2 months holiday all at one stretch is alright? Coz some people told me that if you are overseas more than 4 weeks each year, then you should compensate for the time exceeds, in your case, another 4 weeks. I would highly recommend you to call immi and ask them directly for a clear answer. Also to ask your agent clearly about this 2 months in one stretch holiday. You are still in the early stage of your application, hence things can be fixed as early. Let us know what they say though. Cheers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dhle said:

I think you should be fine. Not to stress you out but better check with agent if that 2 months holiday all at one stretch is alright? Coz some people told me that if you are overseas more than 4 weeks each year, then you should compensate for the time exceeds, in your case, another 4 weeks. I would highly recommend you to call immi and ask them directly for a clear answer. Also to ask your agent clearly about this 2 months in one stretch holiday. You are still in the early stage of your application, hence things can be fixed as early. Let us know what they say though. Cheers. 

Thanks for your suggestion mate. I will call immi tomorrow for the clear answer and will let you know guys. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

After I applied for 887 I changed with another job which seems for a short period now due to employer's money mind . As I already fullfilled my work requirements do I need to update the current short term work? Please advise as I am not sure whether to mention this as an change of circumstance and also not sure whether I will be in this job  for another couple of months.  Looking forward your advises. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Shanjay1 said:

After I applied for 887 I changed with another job which seems for a short period now due to employer's money mind . As I already fullfilled my work requirements do I need to update the current short term work? Please advise as I am not sure whether to mention this as an change of circumstance and also not sure whether I will be in this job  for another couple of months.  Looking forward your advises. Thank you.

Hmmm the work requirement is for only one year in those 2 years residence. So I guess even if we are unemployed now but already got that full time 1 year done, then it should not be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. 

Don’t worry guys I am in the same boat. I applied through one of the oldest and well known MARA agent. Even I spent about 5 weeks in India. According to my agent he has applied heaps of cases like that and never had any issue. Don’t worry. Be positive. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, dhle said:

Hmmm the work requirement is for only one year in those 2 years residence. So I guess even if we are unemployed now but already got that full time 1 year done, then it should not be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. 

yea you won't have any issue as you already fulfilled the 887 condition. but you might need to inform the department about change of circumstance, you can update details on IMMI