2 weeks to go!!!!!

Tom C

Hey Everyone. 

After a 2 year merry-go-round with visas. We finally been approved. Flights booked, Removals underway and air bnb sorted. I fly out end of this month (in time for Australia day) with the wfe and 2 kids coming a month later. 

I've got my air bnb sorted for February and hoping to find somewhere to rent within the 4 weeks before my family join me. Ideallly around Grange area. 

I'm in the process of gathering the documents required for renting but my question is regarding the references. We've owned a house for the past 6 years so no previous landlords to give us a reference and presume local friends and family won't suffice. I've included our police checks from the visa which may help but any other suggestions to tick this box? 

With only 4 weeks to find a place (while. Working FT) I'm worried I won't be able to get somewhere suitable for when my family land. 

Also any recommendations for beds, couches and cars as well be getting these from. Ew while we wait for the rest of the furniture 

Thanks guys

Hi Tom

congratulations on being so close to coming out here. 

When we first moved out here we managed to secure a rental before we came out. We gave a friend as a reference as they were trying to find out the sort of people they are taking in. I would maybe also get some statements from the UK to bring with you just to show you can keep up with regular payments. 

If you already have a job lined up then you should be fine as you will be able to show you will have a regular income. If you didn’t have a job they would probably need to see you have sufficient funds available to you to support your repayments. 

Most places here for rent require you to go and inspect the property first. These are generally done on weekends so you could get a list together and go and view as many as you can. When you go to the inspection they will then give you some information and tell you where to apply if you wanted. 

Have a look on realestate and maybe get the app and you can see what is currently available in the area you are in. Don’t worry if Grange doesn’t have much there are plenty around that area as Adelaide is not too difficult to get around. 

Some rentals are available as furnished but there are plenty of places to get some temporary furniture places like IKEA, Amart and Harvey Norman. 

Have a look on Gumtree to for some cheep cars to get you started or have a drive around when you get here there are plenty of second hand car dealerships. 

Good luck with the move and hope it all goes well for you 

Hi Tom.

Agree with Curly re the rental situation. Have your proof of employment, proof of funds (as a back up if needed), etc and you should be ok with finding something. Grange may well prove an in demand area in terms of rentals (especially if schools in the area are zoned). I think it falls just outside of the Henley High School zone and isn't in the zone for Henley Beach primary so you hopefully will be ok. Not sure of the state schools for that suburb off the top of my head. If you are looking at state school system check the schools in the area and if they have a zoning policy as it does seem that in high demand areas more primary schools are becoming zoned and are absolutely chock full. If you are looking private its not an issue where you opt for house wise, just that others trying to get into state schools make the demand on the rental market hard going in some areas. For example re Henley Beach primary, their website has info on their intake http://www.henleyps.sa.edu.au/enrolment 

Often opens for rentals are late afternoons and evenings during the week. Opens for buying tend to be on weekends. It may well be worthwhile contacting all the local real estate agents in the area directly, perhaps going in in person to a few of them and letting them know what you are after. In high demand areas, family homes can have multiple applicants after the first open. Have all your paperwork ready to submit at the open if you really like the place. I've read of some people preparing a pack with their references, police checks, proof of funds, employment etc to include with their applications. 

Be aware many older rentals can be pretty rubbish, owners often just renting them out till they decide to sub divide or sell off the block. Newer build houses (often in high density areas sub divided already so 2, 3 or 4 on one old block) may be the way to go to ensure you get something decent and hopefully in good repair. The down side is there may not be much/any garden and you'll have immediate neighbours. Take a look on https://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in-grange,+sa+5022/list-1  I'd make a note of the agents in the area and be ready to contact them when you arrive. 

I'd not forget to do things like registering for Medicare, your drivers licence changing over and anything else needed as soon as possible after arriving. Having that extra local ID is useful for the 100 points ID agents may well require. Same with your bank and having a bank card and so on sorted for when you arrive. You can open an account from the UK with any number of Aus banks. We opened one with Commonwealth a couple of months before we left and the day after we arrived went to the branch, met the account manager, picked up our cards and were away. Medicare can take a bit of time if you go to one of the main Centrelink offices. I'd suggest going to the main branches on Saturday morning as the Centrelink side of things are closed and they are only open for Medicare stuff and its much much quieter (or it was when we did ours a few years back now, it may have changed). Or enquire at a smaller branch if you can sort it there. FYI, for medicare I had to provide a copy of my full visa grant letter including the letterhead and the signature and name of my CO at the end. Not just the page with the grant info itself on it. 

I'd buy things you can still make use of once your stuff arrives or that you can sell on easily if not required. Eg, outside table and chairs for indoor dining to start off and then put it outdoors once your furniture arrives. A pull out sofa bed from Ikea or something so you can sit and sleep on it. Also air mattresses or foam roll outs for the kids for a few weeks don't hurt. Its a bit of fun having an indoor camp out and you know what will be arriving at the end of it. We also grabbed a few things from off the street that had 'Free, please take' on them. Decent wooden furniture I took home, cleaned up, sanded down a few spots and stained and we still have them now, 5 plus years later. We also bought a few things off Gumtree. Got a decent $300 sofa from Ikea that can double as an extra single bed also and is used now in the family room for the kids. Cheap Ikea crockery you can then use for outdoor use later on. I did that with dinner plates, cutlery etc. I bought 2 pans, one frying pan and a few utensils and that was it. Just kept cooking simple till my entire kitchen contents arrived. 

Cars, not sure. We bought our first one from a dealer a family member knew quite well. About 2 weeks after arriving IIRC. We got a good deal from them, decent car even if the same car in the UK would have cost a fraction of the price 🤨 It was an astra, 05 reg and had only done about 60K or so IIRC when we bought it in 2013. It also came with 11 months rego and FSH. It wasn't flash but honestly, given how people drive and park here, that was a good thing as it turned out 😂 We only parted with it at the start of last year as we used it on a trade in buying a brand new car.  We'd only planned to keep it a year or two but it drove well, was comfy, reliable and air con worked well so we kept it. 

Once your wife and kids arrive, if she is wanting to meet up for a coffee or anything, please get her to PM via here as am happy to try to do so. We don't live that way anymore (started off in Glenelg) but don't mind to travel Henley Beach way. Even if its to help her get her bearings or to have some company one morning while shopping, happy to do so. I work 4 days a week (Mon-Thurs usually) and our weekends can often be busy as kid does a lot of sports etc but we can sort something out I am sure 😃

Thanks very much for the responses Snifter +  Curly. Both really informative and useful. 

I've got my 'rental pack' sorted but was unsure of references. I'll take a couple from my old and current employer. Hopefully that should be sufficient. I've already been making introductions to a few agents so sounds like I'm on the right path 

Useful to know about the schools and zoning. Our eldest won't start until Feb 2020 so we'll look at preschool or equivalent. Our rough plan is to move Grange, Henley, West Beach area for first 6 - 12 months and get our bearings. I can see us moving to the hills further down the line. But time will tell. 

Thanks Snifter. I'm sure my OH would jump at the chance for a coffee once we've landed. 

Thanks again 

• Like 1

Not having to worry about schools for a year or two is good. Bear in mind though, the areas you are looking at are in big demand for those who do want schools now and to be in certain zones. 

You will be looking at kindy's then for your eldest. Have a read of this to get your head round it all https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-and-learning/early-childhood-education-and-care/preschool-and-kindergarten   IIRC its 15 hours a week (often seems to be done over 2.5 days say Mon, Tues all day (well, 9-3 or some such) and say Weds morning 9-12. Then the other group attend on the other 2.5 days. You'll need to bring the red book for vaccination history and to get a couple of extra vaccinations that the UK doesn't do as routine (chicken pox for example). The doctors will take the vaccination history from the red book and put it into the system here. If you opt for childcare nursery talk to them directly about how it works there. 

More info on the 15 hours here https://www.education.gov.au/universal-access-early-childhood-education

We are in the foothills/hills. I love it up here, so does hubby and son. Been living up here for about 4 years now and have not tired of that drive up the hill away from the city and noise and the surroundings becoming more and more gum tree filled, wildlife filled and quieter. Its lovely up here. We have koalas in the garden a fair bit, often see roos, echidnas and possums around the area too. And so many birds. Often noisy but love having them around. 

And great re your OH, always happy to meet up and be a friendly face. 

• 1 month later...

All useful info for us too - thanks - as we arrive on April 22 🙂

Neither of us have jobs sourced (yet) - I came close, down to the final selection via Skype interview but missed out (probably because I was still UK based at the time)  Kirsty has had some feedback on her CV and prospective but many have said the same - "you are not here, yet. So no panic. 

We opened our bank account with ANZ last year on our validation trip and have been topping that up.  Annoyingly the sale of our property in England looks unlikely to complete until after we have departed due to the solicitors dragging, but hopefully not too long after.  We will have funds available for rentals, but will have to rely on other references as we haven't had a rental property for 11 years.

We have an Airbnb in Hallett Cove for the first three weeks, we are looking to move to that area or at least the southern suburbs. None of our furniture is being shipped, just belongings which is being dispatched a month ahead of us.  So will be buying all new anyway.

All very daunting but exciting at the same time, as most on this forum will know!

• 1 year later...