Spider ID

Guest ali@51

Guest Tracijbc

Oh dear God. :arghh: just the names make my skin crawl. I am still obssessively checking my shoes each morning, and checking in the bed before I get in at night. we have been here 11 weeks and I'm as phobic today as I was when I left the UK!!!

We had our first spider in the house on Wednesday night and both FREAKED out. A quick spray of Mortein and he was curled up on the floor, then unceremoniously scooped onto a piece of paper and into the bin. He was about the size of a 2 quid coin and black, so small by Aussie standards, but any spider is enough to send me running!! We can't take the chance here, so we are spraying for England at the moment if anything moves in the house!!

Mind you, I'm sure we'll chill out eventually, and maybe I really need to get a book on what's truly dangerous.

EEK!!

Traci xx

Guest stufi1997

it's not tha hard Traci, only the red back, which you seriously cannot miss. And the white tip are dangerous....but even that is a bit of an emotive debate as apparently a bite from a white tip is not dangerous to everyone....the rest will give you a nasty bite but won't kill you. Fiona

Guest morgie@51

and maybe I really need to get a book on what's truly dangerous.

EEK!!

Traci xx

Or a newspaper wack first ask questions lator;)

Got another one this morning. It was quite small I'd just moved the sofa to hover and their it was, but not for long!!!!!!

ali

Guest ali@51

ok is somthing odd going on:chatterbox: been here 9 weeks and not seen any spiders and now 4 in 24 hrs. We have just had evict/splat another 2 this evening:arghh:. Has somebody advertised a spider party at ours! I'm of to bunnings for some barrier controle tomaorrow am!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Wait til you meet a Spider Wasp! Spiders are nothing compared to that!

The female catches spiders of various kinds as food for her larvae. She stings the spider to paralyse it and then usually drags it into her burrow where she lays an egg on it. When the larva hatches, it starts to eat the still living spider. When mature, the larva pupates to emerge as an adult the next summer.

Wasp_vs_spidera.jpg

here in the UK weve got HUNDREDS on the ivy...am not liking them at all :arghh:, Aussie hubby flattens them as soon as he sees any spider.."only good spider is a dead spider" he saysSpider.jpg

We had a big fat black furry one on the floor of the laundry yesterday, it had shortish legs and was kind of jumping (not very high, just to turn around and face the other direction) - didn't jump fast enough to avoid the big bag of kitty litter that got dropped on it though - but did make a nasty squelchy mess on the tiles!

Guest Kat+Rocco
Wait til you meet a Spider Wasp! Spiders are nothing compared to that!

The female catches spiders of various kinds as food for her larvae. She stings the spider to paralyse it and then usually drags it into her burrow where she lays an egg on it. When the larva hatches, it starts to eat the still living spider. When mature, the larva pupates to emerge as an adult the next summer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3456[/ATTACH]

Erghhhh that's just gross looks huge!! Do they bother people too?

Guest katsmajic

Were over worrying about spiders, kill white tips and red backs but leave the others alone. Got a couple of orb types out the front, theyre pretty and a cple of black house spiders out by the laundry door, theyre pretty nasty - the chunky black ones, but their doing no harm and keep the bugs/flys down...got some daddy long legs in the house we leave them be and same when we get a hunty...although the cats do a good job of catching and playing with the spiders.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...