Boat name competition.

Guest Guest75

Guest caoimhe
After months of research and haggling I've finally agreed on a boat.

I just have to finish my seamanship course and get my boat license.

We have a big debate in the Tyke household though.......what to call the new craft??

So........NAME THE BOAT COMPETITION

Now even though Keith's suggestion of "Tyketanic" was funny I think it may not be appropriate.

Not keen on long names as the will be times when I'll have to spell it out phonetically on the radio.

Not keen on my first name going on and the lady Tykes not keen on theirs (there are a lot of Sheila's in Oz anyway)

The lady Tykes are wanting something "nice?" or female.:unsure:...........They have just shouted "Betty" to me (not going with that one)

Ladies also not keen on the Tyke theme following on - which I like the idea of.

So suggestions please - can be weird and wacky.

If you're local - bottle of Shiraz in it for the winner!

Ok enough already, never mind the names----when is the boat warming party:jiggy:

Please leave it till we get there, hopefully before christmas:skeptical:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
Ok enough already, never mind the names----when is the boat warming party:jiggy:

Please leave it till we get there, hopefully before christmas:skeptical:

In about 4 weeks.just having a few bits and bobs and safety stuff fitted.

Chuffed I'll have it on the water for Xmas then our VIP visitor and long time friend can go out shark watching:arghh::arghh:

Guest caoimhe

Chuffed I'll have it on the water for Xmas then our VIP visitor and long time friend can go out shark watching:arghh::arghh:

Don't think we will make 4 weeks, but if you plan any other on sea partys I'm your man---or actually woman:biglaugh:

After months of research and haggling I've finally agreed on a boat.

I just have to finish my seamanship course and get my boat license.

We have a big debate in the Tyke household though.......what to call the new craft??

So........NAME THE BOAT COMPETITION

Now even though Keith's suggestion of "Tyketanic" was funny I think it may not be appropriate.

Not keen on long names as the will be times when I'll have to spell it out phonetically on the radio.

Not keen on my first name going on and the lady Tykes not keen on theirs (there are a lot of Sheila's in Oz anyway)

The lady Tykes are wanting something "nice?" or female.:unsure:...........They have just shouted "Betty" to me (not going with that one)

Ladies also not keen on the Tyke theme following on - which I like the idea of.

So suggestions please - can be weird and wacky.

If you're local - bottle of Shiraz in it for the winner!

Right then, no splicing of mainbraces till I get there.

No letting our mike on board, you know he's a submariner so god knows where you two will end up.

Once again I ask fer the pictures :-)

Names,

First I thought "The Jolly Toger" (Tyke seafairing name)

Then I thought "Double Barrell "(Dave and Ansell Collins must be on Tykes playlist with his love of certain music and I have the record if you want it brought over)

Then I realised that I had a duty to sit down and come up with the ultimate name.

With a quick prayer to Grandad Allen, I woke this morning to the answer.

The name of the boat should be

"A Gift Wrapped"

or is that wrapt?

Guest Guest75
Right then, no splicing of mainbraces till I get there.

No letting our mike on board, you know he's a submariner so god knows where you two will end up.

Once again I ask fer the pictures :-)

Names,

First I thought "The Jolly Toger" (Tyke seafairing name)

Then I thought "Double Barrell "(Dave and Ansell Collins must be on Tykes playlist with his love of certain music and I have the record if you want it brought over)

Then I realised that I had a duty to sit down and come up with the ultimate name.

With a quick prayer to Grandad Allen, I woke this morning to the answer.

The name of the boat should be

"A Gift Wrapped"

or is that wrapt?

:biglaugh:

You Baft Dastard!!!!

It's Gift RAPT acturly.

Dave & Ansell get a regular airing:)

Guest Guest75
have u made your mind up yet tyke? You could call it boo boo thats what i called my son when i was pregnant and couldnt think of a name, in fact i still call it him :biglaugh:

Not yet.............. Don't get the boat for a few weeks yet.

It's killing me:arghh:

I've to finish my Seamanship Course yet - then I can have my boat license.

I did not want the boat sitting there until I can play with it.!

Guest Guest75
Odd name fer a ship;)

Gotta think of resale value as well. How many hunky Aussie want a boat called Priscilla or Betty like the lady Tykes suggested.

I'll reply to your mail tonight m8, looks do able.

Up to my neck in stuff here.

Plus site playing for Ausee, so have to investigate that:arghh:

Guest Martin and Val

We get there on the 22nd Oct, so if your having a naming ceremony, like smashing the bottle on her give us a call!

Our names are best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Martin and Val

Guest the staffords

how about..

natural mystic.

kaya!

skanga..or

king tubby....after the legendary dub artist..could have double meaning if you are a typical

lard eating yorkie!!!ha ha ..no offence mate!

or...liquidator!!!

Guest Guest75
:biglaugh:Come on Tyke ....we're all waiting for the decesion:p

Sorry to keep you all in suspenders.

It is a serious job choosing this boat name.

I'm calling in to the dealers tomorrow and looking at what will fit and look good in my narrowed down choices - am I obsessive or what???

Might have some art work drawn up with the name as well.

My son is currently obsessed with Pokemon. Today he started talking about a Pokemon called MANTYKE.

I looked it up in his book, and it said

"Mantyke gracefully glide through the ocean, and they can sometimes be seen jumping into the air as high as 10 metres. Mantyke are very intelligent and they like humans. They prefer to swim in schools, leaving trails of bubbles behind their side fins as they cut through the water."

Seems like an ideal name for your boat !

Guest Guest75
My son is currently obsessed with Pokemon. Today he started talking about a Pokemon called MANTYKE.

I looked it up in his book, and it said

"Mantyke gracefully glide through the ocean, and they can sometimes be seen jumping into the air as high as 10 metres. Mantyke are very intelligent and they like humans. They prefer to swim in schools, leaving trails of bubbles behind their side fins as they cut through the water."

Seems like an ideal name for your boat !

:biglaugh: That's a beaut coincidence Anne.

Guest Libby1971

Ok, I have only just found this thread. Too late to offer a suggestion and too jetlagged/ tired/ out of it to offer any meaningful contribution but I can't work out if you actually told anyone the name of the boat.

So what is it called?

And by the way, you and Guzzler are very rude!! Cheeky and hilarious, but quite naughty!!

Guest Guest75

Our new boat is to be called..........................................

"Jean Genie"

In large graphics on the hull

Thanks to a certain Judy for prompting me in this direction.

Not everyone's cuppa - but.

Easy to say,easy to remember,has a ring to it.

Phonetically easy to spell for me.

Slightly feminine name.

This comes from my musical roots.I'm a big David Bowie fan and in the 70's followed him to quite a few concerts.

I also led the excessive lifestyle as well and felt I'd not make it past 25 ( Referencing Bowie's Lyrics on "All The Young Dudes")

Now after surviving another 25 years well, it's a personal thing;);)

Thanks to all who threw themselves into this competition,I was suprised at how much effort some went to - but very pleased.

Delivery is around 2 weeks time now - then I have to get the anchor winch fitted and then the graphics done.