Not sure if we can afford to do this anymore?

Guest GAFFBAM

hi we moved here 4 months ago....so far so good we like it over here, the first few weeks are hard due to the fact that you have to find a house---minding that we had problem in breaking our lease...secondly, finding a car, furnishing etc...but now my hubby got a job as a domestic cleaner at the RAH and i work as a nurse there, so far our budget is holding up..we now live at seaford which is far more better than our rental up in north adelaide...kids loves the out door, like today weather is so nice, we had a lazy time at the beach before my hubby goes to work... shopping wise we found the veggies here are more fresh..we go to sunday market near gepps cross..somtimes to our local market down willunga...we also live in a 3 bedroom house back in the u.k. but this rental here is far much better...its also a 3 bedroom house...glenelg can be a bit pricy in terms for rental so i would suggest look around first before you commit to a long term lease---u dont want to make mistake like we did!...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Somerton Park which is just south of Glenelg South. I love it here, 20 min walk to Gleneleg for beer, coffee and shopping, I'm 2 blocks from a gorgeous and quiet beach and 15 min walk south to Brighton. Public transport is cheap too.

I have friends with a kid in Glengowrie. Right on the tram line and only a few stops to Glenelg and much cheaper.

I think you have to be a little realistic here. I loved the look of Glenelg on our recce but it is to expensive. I am a sparkie and going from my findings i should earn (if i can get a job) about $20-25 an hour so $800-1000 a week. We are lucky enough to have a bit of money to bring not alot but a bit. Now we could struggle in Glenelg/ Brighton but in all honesty we much prefered Aldinga which is cheaper and for us more of what we are looking for and i do not fancy giving myself a headache if there is no reason to. If emigrating is about the dream then a few miles should not make much difference, petrol is cheap enough to compensate this. Yes there are a lot of what ifs but we all have those.

What if my visa application really does not get processed untill 2012.

What if the housing market does not pick up.

What if Aussie house prices keep rising.

What if What if What if.

From what i have read on here if you are not 100% up for it and thats the whole family and 100% fully commited to make it work no matter if you have to make sacrifices or set your sights lower then there is a good chance of it going pear shaped.

Then you have the unlucky few who really want it to work but cant find work or are just bloody unlucky and have to give up there dream.

Its your choice but if all it boils down to is we cant afford to live in Glenelg then maybe the answer is in your own question.

Not being rude just honest.

Guest tooeasy

hey the bacons i am an electrician been here nearly 2 years and $25 an hour is really low the current rate is between $30-$34 an hour and in the time I have been here have never been out of work there is a lot of work for electricians here I know of at least 3 companies who are looking for electricians if you need a hand when you get here give me a shout :)

Hi Too easy, Thats a good wage and secretly i have my fingers crossed for this amount but im setting my sights low so i dont get disapointed and if i got more i will have a nice surprise.

hey the bacons i am an electrician been here nearly 2 years and $25 an hour is really low the current rate is between $30-$34 an hour and in the time I have been here have never been out of work there is a lot of work for electricians here I know of at least 3 companies who are looking for electricians if you need a hand when you get here give me a shout :)

Hi Too easy, Thats a good wage and secretly i have my fingers crossed for this amount but im setting my sights low so i dont get disapointed and if i got more i will have a nice surprise.

My friends moved to Perth a couple of years ago. I mention this because he's a sparky. They both had jobs they hated for a year and Jonathan was sent back to basics of domestic installation because being a 'foreigner' Aussies often want us to start from scratch.

They both sucked it up and made contacts. Jonathan is now a sub contractor with a different firm, Michelle is high up with WA govt. After picking me up in Jonathan's 4x4 the size of the Isle of Man I spent a happy week in their huge house mostly in their cinema room watching movies on their 6ft screen, while Jonathan supervised the pool installation.

Come over with none too high expectations, be prepared to graft and start from the bottom (again) expect disappointments and frustration and sit with your family and watch the sunset on a beautiful (free) beach and remind yourself why you gave this a go...

.....because it's worth it. :cute:

Glad to hear theres plenty of work oh is a spark. We havent got great expectations we work hard and as long as we earn enough to live on comfortably we will be happy.:wubclub:

I think you have to be a little realistic here. I loved the look of Glenelg on our recce but it is to expensive. I am a sparkie and going from my findings i should earn (if i can get a job) about $20-25 an hour so $800-1000 a week. We are lucky enough to have a bit of money to bring not alot but a bit. Now we could struggle in Glenelg/ Brighton but in all honesty we much prefered Aldinga which is cheaper and for us more of what we are looking for and i do not fancy giving myself a headache if there is no reason to. If emigrating is about the dream then a few miles should not make much difference, petrol is cheap enough to compensate this. Yes there are a lot of what ifs but we all have those.

What if my visa application really does not get processed untill 2012.

What if the housing market does not pick up.

What if Aussie house prices keep rising.

What if What if What if.

From what i have read on here if you are not 100% up for it and thats the whole family and 100% fully commited to make it work no matter if you have to make sacrifices or set your sights lower then there is a good chance of it going pear shaped.

Then you have the unlucky few who really want it to work but cant find work or are just bloody unlucky and have to give up there dream.

Its your choice but if all it boils down to is we cant afford to live in Glenelg then maybe the answer is in your own question.

Not being rude just honest.

Yeah, I agree with the thrust of this. Just a point about petrol, though, in the months before the GFC hit, the price of petrol here was increasing rapidly - seemingly daily - and radio talkshows, newspaper editorials etc were full of dire predictions about where all this was leading. With the economic slowdown the price has come back down, and all that has been forgotten, but it won't be long before it's back in the headlines. Of course, people will point to comparisons with the UK, but that's cold comfort when everytime you fill up it's costing you more. In short, I wouldn't bank on cheap petrol - it's unlikely to be something any of us will be enjoying for much longer.

Jim

Guest kangomik

Price of fuel will rise, if not 1.50 then 1.60 by May, the mortgage rate will rase to 6.5 % if not slightly higher, and the houses will still rise in price, which baffles me.

The exchange rate will drop which means the electrical shopping will raise again soon. It's all really depressing stuff.

Many predict a wage increase in April, but it will not match inflation b a long long way.

On the plus side........ the beach was great today!:)

Price of fuel will rise, if not 1.50 then 1.60 by May, the mortgage rate will rase to 6.5 % if not slightly higher, and the houses will still rise in price, which baffles me.

The exchange rate will drop which means the electrical shopping will raise again soon. It's all really depressing stuff.

Many predict a wage increase in April, but it will not match inflation b a long long way.

On the plus side........ the beach was great today!:)

Prices are definatly going up but all in all still cheaper then the UK.

And the beaches here are not quite the same.:nah:

Guest fuji70
Prices are definatly going up but all in all still cheaper then the UK.

And the beaches here are not quite the same.:nah:

What's cheaper than the UK exactly???

Food and basics (shampoo, toothpaste, householdy stuff) MUCH more expensive than where I shopped in the UK. Beer more expensive, TESCO still selling bottled beer for less than £1? Not anywhere here that I've found.

Just paid for ambulance cover, doctor's either charge a consultancy or prescription fee that you can't reclaim 100% of, so no NHS comparison here.

I can't afford a car, so this arvo I'm going to look at a scooter. They haven't caught on here as much as the UK, so 2nd hand prices are pretty high. I'm paying £200 per month more in rent than the UK etc etc etc....

Apart from rip off UK utility prices and petrol, I can't see how Adelaide is cheaper.

Given that....I'm sat here in my shorts typing this. After I've been scooter shopping I'll be off down the (free) beach with a book (library-free again) and a beer or 2. I'm sure most of us are enjoying it here, but how people save within their first year here unless they came over with A LOT of money, I don't know.

Don' regret being here one bit and it's been MUCH harder than I anticipated, but cheap it aint.:err:

Cheaper -

Houses (and bigger) for rentals or purchase.

Fuel

Days out

Eating out

More expensive -

Cars

Schools

Beer

Same -

Food (if you shop around and eat fresh)

Wine

Wages (for my trade)

General living costs (tax, rates, water, electricity, ect)

So for my family. Yes Adelaide is cheaper.

What's cheaper than the UK exactly???

Food and basics (shampoo, toothpaste, householdy stuff) MUCH more expensive than where I shopped in the UK. Beer more expensive, TESCO still selling bottled beer for less than £1? Not anywhere here that I've found.

Just paid for ambulance cover, doctor's either charge a consultancy or prescription fee that you can't reclaim 100% of, so no NHS comparison here.

I can't afford a car, so this arvo I'm going to look at a scooter. They haven't caught on here as much as the UK, so 2nd hand prices are pretty high. I'm paying £200 per month more in rent than the UK etc etc etc....

Apart from rip off UK utility prices and petrol, I can't see how Adelaide is cheaper.

Given that....I'm sat here in my shorts typing this. After I've been scooter shopping I'll be off down the (free) beach with a book (library-free again) and a beer or 2. I'm sure most of us are enjoying it here, but how people save within their first year here unless they came over with A LOT of money, I don't know.

Don' regret being here one bit and it's been MUCH harder than I anticipated, but cheap it aint.:err:

Guest fuji70

Would disagree with you on rent, mine is a lot more expensive.... and food, despite shopping around, I still find to be more expensive than my fresh food market and Aldi days of the UK....and God I miss Poundstretcher!! (and TK Maxx, H&M, Asda, Poundland,Tesco stripey, Amazon....etc etc ;))

Eating out, again I would disagree, though obviously this will depend entirely on where and what you eat, so possibly not a realistic comparison.

Broadband is more expensive and 2 year contracts are the norm. I can't commit to this, so have a 4GB $49 per month dongle.

Having said that, there is no TV license, council tax, MOTs (God help us) etc etc....

If you have a family, things may be cheaper in the long run. I'm not convinced otherwise....More choice and being on Europe's doorstep means cheaper prices in the UK for a LOT of things...however, I didn't move here to save money, I moved for a better quality of life and there's no price you can put on that.:cool:

Guest fuji70
Surely it just depends on the exchange rate whether things are cheaper or more expensive? I haven't been here very long and still can't help converting things back to how much it would cost in pounds.

Likewise. Eventually we will stop converting and just use our salaries to determine whether things are pricey or not. ;)

Guest BinLangley

Agree with jo marnes, Glenelg and Brighton are out of our range but we managed to get a 4 bedder in Sheidow park for $300 p.w. This area is clean and quiet and is 5 mins drive fro Hallett Cove mal and beach and 15 minutes from Brighton.

Guest BinLangley

Got to agree with you on that one. What a shock the price of food shopping. A tin of home brand tomatoes (Tesco value equivalent) over a $1 in Woolies. Even being generous and working it out 2$ to the 1£ (which I know it's not) we are doing a big shop for 2 adults + baby and struggling to keep it under 200 bucks.

Fresh food cheaper? I'm not so sure. Perhaps farmers markets are the answer but that means the time and hassle of travelling.

I'll admit that we like to eat decent healthy food and I love meat but you've only got to read the paper or listen to the news and it's a regular point of discussion. Australians are suffering the fastest price hike on food prices in the developed world.

Does anybody no why this is?

I recently completed a Human Physiology and Health Course and one of the shocking statistics is that the world population is doubling every 35 years!

Perhaps there's just too many of us for the natural resource available.

On the plus side I driving around in a 4l station wagon and paying peanuts for fuel compared with the U.K. and renting a 4 bedroom house still, you can't drink petrol or eat a house.

You'll all get used to it ONCE you stop comparing to the UK, remember you get paid in $$$$.

Stevo

thats it my friend you earn $$ then you have to spend in $$ we stopped doing it ages ago...we do compare atuff when we see a bargian and say you couldnt get that back in the yUK...

In reply to a previous poster it is hard very bloody hard...me and my mrs can vouch for that we have had so much crap go on since we have been here...only certain people know alll the ins and outs of it all....but we love it out here...

HG

Guest kangomik

Spend the dollar.

My personal opinion is that if you earn good money in the UK, and have a good life, have a serious serious think before moving at the moment.

If your on a low wage and struggling i reckon you would be better off over here.

If you have a niggle now it will only be multiplied by the time you get here.

If you cannot afford certain things, then stop going out and eating and drinking!

I certainly agree with Kangomilks last post.Having returned in October after having lived in Adelaide for 4 yrs unless you have fairly substantial amount of money,you are likely to struggle in Adelaide unless you are both going to good jobs.

The cost of living in terms of food prices and mortgage rates,stamp duties etc are substantially higher than the UK ,WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT.There are school costs,much higher dental fees,especially if your children need braces,prescription medicine costs for children.

When you factor in the current low exchange rate and the house price increases in Adelaide in recent years,it can make a big differance tothe quality of life you thought that you would have andthe one you actually have.

There are also other factors to consider as well.The current job situation here is pretty scary and therefore to leave an established position,with decent salary and benefits,is a big gamble,as if you had to return then the job situation may have shifted for you.

In my view in the current climate ,it is best to leave as many doors open as possible,ie dont sell your house if you dont have to and try and have a career break if you can ,to see if Adelaide suits you.Even if the jobs situation and other economic factors work out no one knows how people will be effected byother things such as homesickness.

You really do need a decent financial cushion as it can often take a lot longer than you anticipated to get a job.

Not an easy call these days.

Sue

Guest fuji70

You really do need a decent financial cushion as it can often take a lot longer than you anticipated to get a job.

Not an easy call these days.

Sue

That was the crux for me. I came over with £11k in September. I'm single and thought I could temp while waiting to get a full time job and that money would see me through. I (finally) start a full time job next week, but the job situation coupled with the cost of living/setting myself up here has left me pretty much broke. I'll manage, but will need need things such as a car etc on finance now, not to mention my dad paying off my credit card for me back in the UK.

I still insist that I am better off in terms of quality of life here than in the UK. It's not all about money....if that's your thing, move to Japan or Vietnam and teach English, you'll be mortgage free in 5 years.

You need to be wanting to move to Aus for reasons other than "a bigger square footage house and swimming pool" ex-pats with those exist for sure, damned if I've ever encountered one tho!:nah:

See you on the beach:cool:

I have not read all the post but I agree if you want to live like you lived in the UK and it is going to cost more. Thats just how much it costs to live here. You make the most of what ever situation you are in.

We left a good life back in the UK with my husbands good wage coming in allowing us to live comfortablly.

We were strugglling before my husband found a job here as nealry ran out of the money we had to tied us over and I know many others who are also finding it hard to find any kind of work.

If you can find a job before you arrive but I would not discourage anyone from trying it but really think about it, as finacially it is a big move. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Guest kangomik

We have all been in this position, we all moved over here. It is not easy, and i would not like to try at this moment in time with work so thin on the ground. Some of the people that settle best actually arrive with the least money.

It's not the UK, thats why we came, adapt fast, live the dollar and enjoy the little things that SA offeres, from beaches to friendly people.