Oz beer. The worst in the world?

Guest Bristol_Matt

I wouldn't disagree with you. The reds I tried were awesome. But I am imagining a bbq on a hot summers day. And beer is the drink of choice.
a nice crisp white wine tends to be favourite now.......along with a couple of beers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bristol Matt.....Do you drink bitter or lager?. Im presuming bitter as most aussie stuff doesnt taste like the lager youre used too.. Nearest to lager is Carlton Col/Tooheys extra dry., And if you want real good stuff.....try the platinum!Stella is a poor relation. Alot of beers are a cross between bitter/lager.....but like food and everything else you assimilate and things become normal:D..............apart from west end though...........thats still cr*p(sorry martin)

Guest Bristol_Matt
Well said, I won't say to whoever started this tread don't bother to come because Aus is Aus not the UK because eveyone gets up in arms and the tread gets nasty but be real, if you think it will be like the UK then pehaps you are better staying where you are, drink the warm beer and enjoy the lack of sunshine, the shingle beaches and of course the better lifestyle of the UK.

With all due respect, where have I mentioned the Australian lifestyle in my original post? I thought I had been very careful not to say Australia, and more importantly Adelaide is c**p.

I also have never said the beer is so poor I won't be emigrating, that would be pretty sad wouldn't it!?.

We are all intitled to an opinion and I thought I had made it pretty clear I was open to criticism.

OK, perhaps the post is a little confrontational, but it was only ever intended as a start of a good debate and to maybe find out if I had missed something when I was there, it turns out I have in the micro-breweries.

Now we are 6 pages in without any real nastiness I think I have achieved my goal.

Intersetingly, I would say the majority of people seem to agree with my statement (I have included people who tell me to drink wine instead as, to me, that is an admital the beer is poor so you need to try something else)

Before this post turns ugly I want to apologise now if I have offended anybody in any way shape or form. Please treat this post as a bit of banter as thats all I ever intended.

(I have included people who tell me to drink wine instead as, to me, that is an admital the beer is poor so you need to try something else)

Actually its because the wine here tastes rather nice............I wasnt in to wine when I came here.........but it tastes so much better than the french crap ive tasted before( imsur there is some good french though) .Its part of a new life , believe me ......you change tastes.

Guest Guest75

I'm just thanking everybody tonight - because I've been drinking Australian alchofrolic beverages.........whatever they taste like...........well perhaps not West End ( sorry Martin):goofy::goofy:

Guest Bristol_Matt
I'm just thanking everybody tonight - because I've been drinking Australian alchofrolic beverages.........whatever they taste like...........well perhaps not West End ( sorry Martin):goofy::goofy:

rofl.

:-)

Guest Jo&Phil

Wait till you get here ..... you'll be swigging the Coopers Pale Ale down just like the rest of us!

Your tastebuds get used to anything over time ........... except, of course, Vegemite!!!

Guest LordLucan
This post will probably take some stick but I have got broad shoulders and would very much like to read a counter-argument.

I am just back from doing a 2 week reccie in Adelaide. A lot of which I thoroughly enjoyed, so I dont believe I am not being a negative, whinging Pom when I make the statement Aussie beer is the worst in the world.

I have been lucky enough to have been to most countries in Europe as well as having travelled to the USA and the carribean.

All of these countries seem capable of producing beer that has a taste, why cant Australia?

For those of you who haven't tried Oz beer, imagine Soda Stream having produced a beer flavour, then imagine you only put in a quarter of the flavour in the bottle, then imagine freezing it so it was only just about liquid form.

Seriously, for the first few days I was there I thought I had a cold!

I got so desperate to taste something I thought I would pay a bit extra for a Stella. But would you believe it, even that had no taste. It turned out it is brewed under license in Australia.

Not being somebody who throws in the towel easily, i decided to try every single Aussie beer I could find. In the end I thought Cascade was the tastiest.

Now dont get me wrong, i am not saying the beer is nats wee as most are a healthy 5%. Its just IMHO they have no taste.

What do you think, is there a country any worse at making beer? Or have i got it all wrong?

Anyway, I will just sit back now and wait with anticipation for the hate mail...

I believe you might be talking about West End, Tooheys, XXXX, Fosters or one of the other brands of chemical bilge that they have to virtually freeze in order to make it remotely palatable. Well, it doesn't have to be that way.

I have tried many of the excellent real ales produced in the UK during the first 33 ears of my life, and was very pleased to renew my acquaintance with them during my recent 2-year return to the mother country. However, there are comparable beers in Adelaide, and here are my recommendations:

Cooper's Sparkling (the red label) - bottle-conditioned (therefore cloudy), complex hop and malt flavours - a superb beer.

Cooper's Pale (the green label). Little brother to the red, just a little less complex, but very good.

Both the above are produced in Adelaide.

Cascade Premium (warning - the full-strength one, not the weedy light version) is dry, crisp and hoppy, holds its own against all those lovely German, Dutch and Belgian lager-style drinks.

Southwark Premium - a cheaper alternative to Cascade, the only decent thing to emerge from the Lion Nathan fizzy pop factory.

Malt Shovel James Squire Amber Ale - or Pilsener, India Pale Ale and Golden Ale. Yum!

Many hotels now server Cooper's on tap (as they say, equals draught), and you can get the James Squire increasiingly too. I make a point of avoiding places that don't sell Cooper's - I wouldn't dirty my shoes on their floors.

Important point - Australian hotels (they aren't called pubs) sell the beer FAR TOO COLD, a throwback to the days of there only being swill available. All the above beers are better if you let them warm up a bit, as you can actually taste them then!

I tasted Stella first in Adelaide, and loved it. When I went to the UK, I found it less enjoyable - so maybe we get used to something tasting a certain way and don't like it when it doesn't.

Finally, you can always enjoy the occasional treat from Dan Murphy's shelves, such as a Marston's, Bass, Green King, etc etc. Need a bank loan, but worth it.

Conclusion - don't not come to Adelaide because you think the beer won't be good. Drink the good stuff and you will adjust.

PS I did do home brew for years, and it's a good, cheap way to create British-style beers if that's what you want

Guest LordLucan
I must be the only man not to like beer...in the world. I just hope to god coca cola still tastes nice in Australia or i'm going to cry and wail.

You don't like beer!!!! I'm surprised you aren't crying and wailing already! :)

Guest Bristol_Matt
I believe you might be talking about West End, Tooheys, XXXX, Fosters or one of the other brands of chemical bilge that they have to virtually freeze in order to make it remotely palatable. Well, it doesn't have to be that way.

I have tried many of the excellent real ales produced in the UK during the first 33 ears of my life, and was very pleased to renew my acquaintance with them during my recent 2-year return to the mother country. However, there are comparable beers in Adelaide, and here are my recommendations:

Cooper's Sparkling (the red label) - bottle-conditioned (therefore cloudy), complex hop and malt flavours - a superb beer.

Cooper's Pale (the green label). Little brother to the red, just a little less complex, but very good.

Both the above are produced in Adelaide.

Cascade Premium (warning - the full-strength one, not the weedy light version) is dry, crisp and hoppy, holds its own against all those lovely German, Dutch and Belgian lager-style drinks.

Southwark Premium - a cheaper alternative to Cascade, the only decent thing to emerge from the Lion Nathan fizzy pop factory.

Malt Shovel James Squire Amber Ale - or Pilsener, India Pale Ale and Golden Ale. Yum!

Many hotels now server Cooper's on tap (as they say, equals draught), and you can get the James Squire increasiingly too. I make a point of avoiding places that don't sell Cooper's - I wouldn't dirty my shoes on their floors.

Important point - Australian hotels (they aren't called pubs) sell the beer FAR TOO COLD, a throwback to the days of there only being swill available. All the above beers are better if you let them warm up a bit, as you can actually taste them then!

I tasted Stella first in Adelaide, and loved it. When I went to the UK, I found it less enjoyable - so maybe we get used to something tasting a certain way and don't like it when it doesn't.

Finally, you can always enjoy the occasional treat from Dan Murphy's shelves, such as a Marston's, Bass, Green King, etc etc. Need a bank loan, but worth it.

Conclusion - don't not come to Adelaide because you think the beer won't be good. Drink the good stuff and you will adjust.

PS I did do home brew for years, and it's a good, cheap way to create British-style beers if that's what you want

Best reply so far.

I did really like the Cascade, the others will have to wait til next time.

I now know the temperature has a huge effect on taste, something I didn't realise before.

Guest Martin and Val

Another installment from me, I have decided to make it my mission to try a few more brands and report back my findings so today I bought a box of Hammer N Tongs which isn't a bad old bottle as far as I'm concerned. I though I would also buy an odd bottle of something different just to see what it was like.

I picked up a bottle of "TASMAN, Gold" and can honestly say "If I was given it I would drink it but I won't buy another"!:nah:

I'll try something else next week and report back.

Martin

Guest LordLucan
Another installment from me, I have decided to make it my mission to try a few more brands and report back my findings so today I bought a box of Hammer N Tongs which isn't a bad old bottle as far as I'm concerned. I though I would also buy an odd bottle of something different just to see what it was like.

I picked up a bottle of "TASMAN, Gold" and can honestly say "If I was given it I would drink it but I won't buy another"!:nah:

I'll try something else next week and report back.

Martin

Hi Martin?

Next week! I think that having a job might be getting in the way of your lemonade testing!

Cheers,

Bill

Guest Martin and Val
Hi Martin?

Next week! I think that having a job might be getting in the way of your lemonade testing!

Cheers,

Bill

Not at all Bill! I just make sure I buy enough to last the week now. Must go a cold one is waiting!

Martin;)

Guest dave&jacky
Hear hear Graham. I think Australia has some great beers but it all depends on your taste of course. I like Tooheys Extra Dry and Coopers Pale. Mind you, I did sink a few pints of Tetleys at the Elephant on Saturday night and it was awesome!! $5 an imperial pint between 6pm and 9pm! Includes all beers including Guiness! (Has Guiness got 2 n's??)

So your the one who drank all the Tetley i had one pint and it ran out again:arghh::arghh::arghh:

I will have to get in there at 5oclock next time

Cheers Dave

Guest SA Great
So your the one who drank all the Tetley i had one pint and it ran out again:arghh::arghh::arghh:

I will have to get in there at 5oclock next time

Cheers Dave

Sorry mate but yes...I was the one. I reckon Tetley tastes better here than in the UK, it seems more creamy!

Seven bloody pages on beers, and not one mention of probably the best beer is Oz!!!

James Boags Premium!!!!

As for the best of the rest, been said lots before, but cant beat a cold Pale or Crownie at a BBQ, but will aways go for the Boags first if there are any there.

Guest majortom

I went out to the Royal Hotel in Kent Town with my wife, cousin and her husband. Well when the waiter gave us the drinks menu, I first glanced at the prices and for roughly $6 you got a bottle of aussie beer (pure blonde, coopers, Hahn light, etc).

Now under the heading IMPORTED was one of my favorite beers BECKS for the princely sum of $9. Well I knew before ordering the bottle of BECKS that it is actually brewed and bottled here in Australia ( by Carlton I think ). So when it arrived I wasn't dissapointed, for on the label it states exactly that.

So in my opinion most of the establishments that sell BECKS, STELLA etc are actually conning the public and must be breaking some kind of Fair trading standards in doing so.

Poor waiter didn't know what hit him, poor bloke..................I never got a free beer :nah:

Maybe I should start a crusade...........!!!

Jim

Guest majortom
Seven bloody pages on beers, and not one mention of probably the best beer is Oz!!!

James Boags Premium!!!!

As for the best of the rest, been said lots before, but cant beat a cold Pale or Crownie at a BBQ, but will aways go for the Boags first if there are any there.

Are you the bloke that brings crap beers to a barbie and drinks all the Boags then ........;)

Guest Martin and Val

OK, this week I bought my usual box of Hammer N Tongs and my choice for the extra odd bottle of something different was "Hahn Premium Light" which was, in my opinion not bad at all for a light beer at only 2.6% Alc/Vol.

Now being a greedy bugger and the fact that Val wasn't watching I picked up a few extras. I'm currently enjoying a bottle of "Carlton MID, double hopped beer" which is 3.5% Alc/Vol so not to strong and not hugely carbonated either. It's not bad at all, I may well try a box of it next week!

Just because ShaunWilson complained that nobody had reported back about James Boag's I just had to get some. The other delights that await my attention next in the fridge are:

James Boag's "Premium Light" 2.9% Alc/Vol and James Boag's "Draught" 4.6% Alc/Vol.

Ooh I can't wait!:jiggy:

Martin

Guest Bristol_Matt
I went out to the Royal Hotel in Kent Town with my wife, cousin and her husband. Well when the waiter gave us the drinks menu, I first glanced at the prices and for roughly $6 you got a bottle of aussie beer (pure blonde, coopers, Hahn light, etc).

Now under the heading IMPORTED was one of my favorite beers BECKS for the princely sum of $9. Well I knew before ordering the bottle of BECKS that it is actually brewed and bottled here in Australia ( by Carlton I think ). So when it arrived I wasn't dissapointed, for on the label it states exactly that.

So in my opinion most of the establishments that sell BECKS, STELLA etc are actually conning the public and must be breaking some kind of Fair trading standards in doing so.

Poor waiter didn't know what hit him, poor bloke..................I never got a free beer :nah:

Maybe I should start a crusade...........!!!

Jim

Perhaps the Aussie brewers that are making beer under license have been given weird and wonderful expensive ingredients such as malt, hops yeast and water.

These ingredients would cost more than the bark, twigs grit and Emu wee they use to make Aussie beers.

Guest SA Great
Perhaps the Aussie brewers that are making beer under license have been given weird and wonderful expensive ingredients such as malt, hops yeast and water.

These ingredients would cost more than the bark, twigs grit and Emu wee they use to make Aussie beers.

Bloody hell.......whinge....whinge.....whinge!