Message for the hierachy, (Real Football).

Ferret

Which team do you support?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Which team do you support?

• Arsenal
    • Spurs
    • Man Utd
    • Man City
    • Liverpool
    • Everton
    • Newcastle
    • Villa
    • West Ham
    • Chelsea

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest philnjulie
Tevez and also in the process of signing Samuel E'to from Barcalona are the rumours.

Do you think, like the media that City are ruining football ?

I was a kippax kid too.

abramovich started the rot with his cash football clubs seem like rich boys toys nowadays

He's even kept his purse strings tightened the last year or so. I think its has more a positive affect myself.

The following is from Chris Bailey (MUEN)

OH how they squealed up and down the country! On a day when Mad- rid and Chelsea were contemplating splashing out in excess of £70m for Kaka, it was City who were allegedly ruining football by spending a relatively modest £12m for Gareth Barry.

Those commentators and fans of other less financially fortunate clubs so quick to pour scorn on the Blues' transfer dealings should get over it and get used to it - because there is going to be more of the same in the coming weeks.

But before they put away their envy-fuelled, bile-laden pens and stop pressing the redial button on the hotline to ranting phone-in shows, they might like to ask themselves just what is it that Manchester City are doing that is so wrong.

No football club has ever won a league title without forking out lots of money.

In the modern era Blackburn clearly spent their way to the title during the Jack Walker years, Chelsea have done so under Roman Abramovich and no-one accused United of ruining football when they splashed £30m plus for Rooney and Ferdinand, or slaughtered Liverpool for piling on the debt after enticing Torres to Anfield.

Wrong

Blood, sweat and tears will only get a club so far in the modern game and the rest is down to how you husband whatever resources are at your disposal.

Yet free-spending City have suddenly become the big, bad bogeymen of English football, supposedly throwing around their wealth with abandon and with no regard for the consequences. Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

The Blues have ambition and the financial clout to back up that desire to become the best. Those facts are not in doubt.

But the money they have spent and which they will continue to dispense in a carefully constructed and planned fashion allows others to do the same and is actually good for football.

City are fuelling the transfer market with their money and allowing Villa, West Ham, Hamburg, Madrid and others to be more financially stable and more able to enter the transfer market themselves. Where is the negative in that?

Those who carp on about City owner Sheikh Mansour's billions distorting the game for everyone else are missing a trick.

Planned

This is no Viv Nicholson `Spend, spend, spend' spree that Mark Hughes has embarked upon, but a carefully planned and thought-out transfer strategy that ought to bear fruit by making the Premier League more competitive and compelling.

Gareth Barry's signing is the latest in the prescribed cure for the ills that have been holding City back in mid- table. Put simply, they needed a left-footed midfielder of his type, so they went out and bought one.

That is why City's next captures will do no more than address shortcoming in the middle of the attack, where two strikers are likely to arrive, and the middle of the back four, where more competition is needed from a defender who can also double up as a relief left-back should anything happen to Wayne Bridge.

Hughes, Garry Cook the CEO and former England international Brian Marwood, whose arrival at the club as a football administrator signals yet more professionalism in their dealings and attitude, should all take a bow for their swiftness and decisiveness.

Long gone, thankfully, are the days when the Blues deliberately signed players as late as possible into summer transfer windows in order to avoid having to paying wages while their future employees were otherwise engaged on the beach or with their international teams.

It is important to state that the Blues three wise men of the transfer market know who they want and why they want them.

They are not doing an `Imelda Marcos' buying and hoarding baubles just because they can. Critics should look at a squad which still contains half a dozen home-grown products within its ranks.

City's is not a transfer policy designed to ape the Madrid Galacticos model. It is a policy that is predicated on need and practicality and that is still rooted in Manchester, not on a nomadic, global spending spree.

And what is more, that model is not going to change. Few if any other clubs in the Premier League have such a moral and financial commitment to their kindergartens as the men in Abu Dhabi.

Critics

Finally, those armchair critics who in the last 36 hours have so energetically and gleefully labelled Gareth Barry a footballing mercenary perhaps they should, after a time of suitable reflection, instead refer to the England international as a visionary.

After all, here is a man who owed Villa nothing. Who gave them 12 years of unflinching service and loyalty but who was clearly in need of a new challenge as he enters the final phase of a career which is at its peak. He didn't seek the attentions of Liverpool a year ago or City's this summer.

His talent meant he was a magnet for others. That he should be able to negotiate himself a well-paid contract is directly related to his ability and the market place.

Barry has been in the game for a long time during a period when top-flight footballers have been remunerated handsomely so to suggest that he ditched Villa - and didn't wait for Liverpool's ardour to reach boiling point - for the sake of £10,000 per week before tax, is just nonsense.

No footballer ever moves only for the money. The vast majority still love the game as much as the cash.

Along with many others the midfielder can see and sense that City are a club primed and ready for a rocket ride to the top. In two or three years time players will be queuing up to join the Blues and those who are already showing warped signs of envy are going to be very unhappy bunnies indeed.

abramovich started the rot with his cash football clubs seem like rich boys toys nowadays

He's even kept his purse strings tightened the last year or so. I think its has more a positive affect myself.

The following is from Chris Bailey (MUEN)

OH how they squealed up and down the country! On a day when Mad- rid and Chelsea were contemplating splashing out in excess of £70m for Kaka, it was City who were allegedly ruining football by spending a relatively modest £12m for Gareth Barry.

Those commentators and fans of other less financially fortunate clubs so quick to pour scorn on the Blues' transfer dealings should get over it and get used to it - because there is going to be more of the same in the coming weeks.

But before they put away their envy-fuelled, bile-laden pens and stop pressing the redial button on the hotline to ranting phone-in shows, they might like to ask themselves just what is it that Manchester City are doing that is so wrong.

No football club has ever won a league title without forking out lots of money.

In the modern era Blackburn clearly spent their way to the title during the Jack Walker years, Chelsea have done so under Roman Abramovich and no-one accused United of ruining football when they splashed £30m plus for Rooney and Ferdinand, or slaughtered Liverpool for piling on the debt after enticing Torres to Anfield.

Wrong

Blood, sweat and tears will only get a club so far in the modern game and the rest is down to how you husband whatever resources are at your disposal.

Yet free-spending City have suddenly become the big, bad bogeymen of English football, supposedly throwing around their wealth with abandon and with no regard for the consequences. Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

The Blues have ambition and the financial clout to back up that desire to become the best. Those facts are not in doubt.

But the money they have spent and which they will continue to dispense in a carefully constructed and planned fashion allows others to do the same and is actually good for football.

City are fuelling the transfer market with their money and allowing Villa, West Ham, Hamburg, Madrid and others to be more financially stable and more able to enter the transfer market themselves. Where is the negative in that?

Those who carp on about City owner Sheikh Mansour's billions distorting the game for everyone else are missing a trick.

Planned

This is no Viv Nicholson `Spend, spend, spend' spree that Mark Hughes has embarked upon, but a carefully planned and thought-out transfer strategy that ought to bear fruit by making the Premier League more competitive and compelling.

Gareth Barry's signing is the latest in the prescribed cure for the ills that have been holding City back in mid- table. Put simply, they needed a left-footed midfielder of his type, so they went out and bought one.

That is why City's next captures will do no more than address shortcoming in the middle of the attack, where two strikers are likely to arrive, and the middle of the back four, where more competition is needed from a defender who can also double up as a relief left-back should anything happen to Wayne Bridge.

Hughes, Garry Cook the CEO and former England international Brian Marwood, whose arrival at the club as a football administrator signals yet more professionalism in their dealings and attitude, should all take a bow for their swiftness and decisiveness.

Long gone, thankfully, are the days when the Blues deliberately signed players as late as possible into summer transfer windows in order to avoid having to paying wages while their future employees were otherwise engaged on the beach or with their international teams.

It is important to state that the Blues three wise men of the transfer market know who they want and why they want them.

They are not doing an `Imelda Marcos' buying and hoarding baubles just because they can. Critics should look at a squad which still contains half a dozen home-grown products within its ranks.

City's is not a transfer policy designed to ape the Madrid Galacticos model. It is a policy that is predicated on need and practicality and that is still rooted in Manchester, not on a nomadic, global spending spree.

And what is more, that model is not going to change. Few if any other clubs in the Premier League have such a moral and financial commitment to their kindergartens as the men in Abu Dhabi.

Critics

Finally, those armchair critics who in the last 36 hours have so energetically and gleefully labelled Gareth Barry a footballing mercenary perhaps they should, after a time of suitable reflection, instead refer to the England international as a visionary.

After all, here is a man who owed Villa nothing. Who gave them 12 years of unflinching service and loyalty but who was clearly in need of a new challenge as he enters the final phase of a career which is at its peak. He didn't seek the attentions of Liverpool a year ago or City's this summer.

His talent meant he was a magnet for others. That he should be able to negotiate himself a well-paid contract is directly related to his ability and the market place.

Barry has been in the game for a long time during a period when top-flight footballers have been remunerated handsomely so to suggest that he ditched Villa - and didn't wait for Liverpool's ardour to reach boiling point - for the sake of £10,000 per week before tax, is just nonsense.

No footballer ever moves only for the money. The vast majority still love the game as much as the cash.

Along with many others the midfielder can see and sense that City are a club primed and ready for a rocket ride to the top. In two or three years time players will be queuing up to join the Blues and those who are already showing warped signs of envy are going to be very unhappy bunnies indeed.

Thats gotta be the funniest thing i have read for ages, look at Robinho had the potential to be one of the greatest players in the world......one season on and you dnt hear anything.

£12M for Gareth Barry a modest sum, i somewhat dnt think so....i think that you have paid well over the odds for the player.....ok he has England credentials but apart from that he has not hogged the limelight as some of the talent the world has on offer.

Ok Samaul Et'o maybe will follow but until the time comes that you can lure the likes of Messi the your club can you really be in the same class as the big 4 in the PL.

There will and always will be for a good many years the big 4 in the PL, i am not here to say my team is better than the next guys, but to get into the big 4 you need structure and you cannot buy that structure, ok some of the big 4 may not win the title year after year but they as sure as hell will be there or there abouts at the end.

As for loyalty in football, it has gone its all about the money be all and end all....

Thats gotta be the funniest thing i have read for ages, look at Robinho had the potential to be one of the greatest players in the world......one season on and you dnt hear anything.

I think Robinho has done reasonably well bagging 14 league goals from midfield, had he shown as much passion away from home we could have been looking at 20+.Don't forget foreign players need to adapt to the pace and physical side of the prem and also as yet he doesn't have the quality around him to maybe give him more scoring opportunties like the "big clubs" do. The reason you dont hear his name much is because he doesn't play for a top 4 team. Have you heard the bias from commentators towards the top 4? They positively cream themselves when Ronaldo or Torres get the ball, if they make a cock up it's unlucky, if it's someone else they are not good enough!

£12M for Gareth Barry a modest sum, i somewhat dnt think so....i think that you have paid well over the odds for the player.....ok he has England credentials but apart from that he has not hogged the limelight as some of the talent the world has on offer.

Credentials? He is in the England squad. Arsenal,Liverpool,Spurs all tried to sign him and the likes of Gerrard want to play alongside him. United would of signed him but Hargreaves and Carrick became available.He can play well in 3 different positions.How much do England internationals cost nowadays ? In fact how much is the going rate for top european midfielder, rarely under 10 million even if they only have a year left on thier contract.

Ok Samaul Et'o maybe will follow but until the time comes that you can lure the likes of Messi the your club can you really be in the same class as the big 4 in the PL.

Only when we are "established" in the Champions league can we dream of players in the ilk of Messi,Kaka and better still Iniesta.

There will and always will be for a good many years the big 4 in the PL, i am not here to say my team is better than the next guys, but to get into the big 4 you need structure and you cannot buy that structure, ok some of the big 4 may not win the title year after year but they as sure as hell will be there or there abouts at the end.

There will always be the big 4 you are right, because of the collosal revenue that is generated from the CL compared to what the rest of the Prem gets. The "4" though will not always be the same 4. Chelsea like City were always an also ran until the money started rolling in. I remember the days in the old 2nd division going down to Stamford Bridge to watch City play Chelsea and look where they r now. It just needs a bad season from one of the supposedly big 4 :-)

As for loyalty in football, it has gone its all about the money be all and end all....

Agreed and of course in most cases in your chosen profession you are gonna want to earn as much as a boss will pay you, especially in a short career. I guess though once u r earning mega amounts of money you can be loyal, for example Steven Gerrard could have earnt more had he wanted to move, plus a big signing on fee.

Guest Shaggy

I agree the top 4 do have solid structure but so do many other teams. I still think money is the biggest issue. Money brings world class players which in turn takes you towards the top of the PL and maybe into Europe. This generates more money which means the masses come to watch which then just creates more money.

Maybe if we all pray hard enough a rich arab will come and buy West Ham and we’ll be able to keep our future stars like the Frank Lampards, Joe Coles, Carricks and Ferdinands of the world. Could go on but I’m boring myself! :SLEEP:Oh sorry, forgot, and the John Terrys (he was a West Ham school boy as well). Or maybe just enough cash to beat Tottenham HOTSPURTS. ;):D

The Hammers, a possible sleeping giant, great loyal support like City :-)

I agree the top 4 do have solid structure but so do many other teams. I still think money is the biggest issue. Money brings world class players which in turn takes you towards the top of the PL and maybe into Europe. This generates more money which means the masses come to watch which then just creates more money.

Maybe if we all pray hard enough a rich arab will come and buy West Ham and we’ll be able to keep our future stars like the Frank Lampards, Joe Coles, Carricks and Ferdinands of the world. Could go on but I’m boring myself! :SLEEP:Oh sorry, forgot, and the John Terrys (he was a West Ham school boy as well). Or maybe just enough cash to beat Tottenham HOTSPURTS. ;):D

Liverpool - and quite fond of Barcelona at the moment!:biglaugh:

Rachel

Did you know Ian Rush is coming to Adelaide? Think he's here from this coming week and he's doing some coaching and "press the flesh" sessions while he's here. You can contact Matt via his website http://www.e-football.com.au for more details if you're interested. There is a dinner on 11th June too - although not sure if any places left there.

Diane

Did you know Ian Rush is coming to Adelaide? Think he's here from this coming week and he's doing some coaching and "press the flesh" sessions while he's here. You can contact Matt via his website www.e-football.com.au for more details if you're interested. There is a dinner on 11th June too - although not sure if any places left there.

Diane

Rushie is doing a book signing in Myer iRundle mall, you have to be the first 300 people to spend $100 or something to get a pass to meet the great man. June 11th. His only Oz book signing appearance.

On another comment re loyalty? Think you'll find there is still some loyalty in certain clubs. Sami Hyppia just left pool after 10 years, Gerrard and Carra been there all their careers, amongst others. So think it is still there to a certain extent.

Guest gilmoresoz

''GLORY, GLORY LEEDS UNITED AS THE WHITES GO MARCHING ON, ON, ON''

Darren ''THE MENS ROOM '' Barber shop.

Recommendations on this website.:)

Guest Django

Have a word. :rolleyes: I think you will find that no one is at all interested in Man City affairs other than Man City fans. :dull:

Apart from the sports media and those people that take a genuine interest in football and more so the Premier league? A few of the top clubs are also quite concerned that there could be another club, god forbid that might threaten there CL spot, especially when 2 of those clubs are in serious financial difficulties, 1 in particular will not be making any purchases this year.

Maybe a football section/thread is not for you if you take no interest in other clubs;)

Have a word. :rolleyes: I think you will find that no one is at all interested in Man City affairs other than Man City fans. :dull:

Guest Django
Apart from the sports media and those people that take a genuine interest in football and more so the Premier league? A few of the top clubs are also quite concerned that there could be another club, god forbid that might threaten there CL spot, especially when 2 of those clubs are in serious financial difficulties, 1 in particular will not be making any purchases this year.

Maybe a football section/thread is not for you if you take no interest in other clubs;)

You believe it if it makes you feel better about your club. :SLEEP: No one cares outside of Manchester.

So geting back to the initial topic of the thread.........

Do we want or need a UK football section to this forum???? There are loads of football forums on the net where you can get your fix.I know this as I am a member of a few of them.

This forum is about helping people make the move, and helping them settle in and around Adelaide. Things that occur in Europe (to my mind) have no place on this particular forum.

You believe it if it makes you feel better about your club. :SLEEP: No one cares outside of Manchester.

Do we want or need a UK football section to this forum???? There are loads of football forums on the net where you can get your fix.I know this as I am a member of a few of them.

This forum is about helping people make the move, and helping them settle in and around Adelaide. Things that occur in Europe (to my mind) have no place on this particular forum.

And i'm afriad this is only YOUR opinion. Whilst I have agreed with a lot you have posted in recent months, the OP is entitled to his opinions too. And if HE feels this will hlp him settle in better and arrange meet ups to watch games as was previoulsy posted, then why should it not be a valid thread.

As for the fact that he is blinded by his loyalty to Man City (Joke, don't jump in with both feet mate!!!) and the fact that every potential signing he has quoted is also being touted to every other club in the league is beside the point. He is a loyal Man City AND football fan who has asked if it would be helpful to have a football thread and maybe arrange meet-ups.

Guest robertreynolds

Maybe a general sports forum then?

Anyway, Im a celtic fan. Had a season ticket for the last 13 or so years, wont be renweing it this year. I see we are getting Mobray as a manager. Hardly inspiring stuff.

Gonna try to get to a couple of Adeliade Utd games. When does the season start?

ooooh eeeer mrs, sorry for rattling your cage and sorry for the thread. I didn't realise anything that goes on in Europe is frowned upon and should be talked about on other forums. I will keep that in mind before posting in future.

I think, (only my mind though:SLEEP:) that getting to know other like minded individuals and sharing a similar passion is a good starting point in helping people settle in. You'll be amazed how many avenue's open up in life by actually meeting people instead of being a member/moderater of numerous forums:SLEEP:which much consume alot of a persons time.:dull:

No one cares outside of Manchester? I think you are a very blinkered individual if you think that's the case, but MCFC have always been ridiculed so there's nothing new there. An easy target you might say. I don't apologise for being passionate about MCFC or football in general and I don't need anything to make me "feel better" about either.:D

I, thank you

You believe it if it makes you feel better about your club. No one cares outside of Manchester.

You commented that Gareth Barry is in the Englans squad and this qualifies him for the tag being £12M , i see Gary neville too is in the England squad...are you going to be signing him also.

Jees with his credentials he must be worth £25/30M.

I can recall alot of City fans shouting down Utd, Chelsea and the Arsenal for spending vast amounts of dosh on players, but now ( mind the pun ) the boot is on the other foot its all ok.

I have been a member on a fw football forums and dont go on there anymore, too many arguments, things getting very abusive and out of hand.

It would have to be highly moderated, to ensure it does not drop into the gutter.

At the moment there is quite a good atmoshpere on here amongst the various fans...id like to keep it that way.

check out myp2p.eu of you wanna keep in touch with sport from around the world and europe.

Don't you just love a bit of banter ;)

Gary Neville, no god forbid. Well past his sell by date and he will probably be offloaded to Middlesboro or some other championship team for a couple of million.

City fans have always and will always shout down Utd in any way possible, goes with the "local rivalry" territory. Not so sure the majority of City fans would shout down Chelsea, i think most would say well done Chelsea for breaking into the elite.We may have been a little envious. As for Arsenal, well they are not reknowned for splashing too much cash. They tend to have good money management and I applaude them for being consistently up there.

Agree the banter on here amongst football supporters is good. In fact i'm looking forward to meeting some more from here as the ones I already have contact with are decent people.

Thanks for the link will check it out tomorrow.

You commented that Gareth Barry is in the Englans squad and this qualifies him for the tag being £12M , i see Gary neville too is in the England squad...are you going to be signing him also.

Jees with his credentials he must be worth £25/30M.

I can recall alot of City fans shouting down Utd, Chelsea and the Arsenal for spending vast amounts of dosh on players, but now ( mind the pun ) the boot is on the other foot its all ok.

I have been a member on a fw football forums and dont go on there anymore, too many arguments, things getting very abusive and out of hand.

It would have to be highly moderated, to ensure it does not drop into the gutter.

At the moment there is quite a good atmoshpere on here amongst the various fans...id like to keep it that way.

check out myp2p.eu of you wanna keep in touch with sport from around the world and europe.

Guest philnjulie

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid=%7BAA113D0F%2DB095%2D4F9A%2D86F3%2D058F81E5ECFB%7D&newsid=6633998&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=&frommonth=4&fromyear=2009&tomonth=6&toyear=2009

ferret another interesting read regard players and wages from the look of the poll were the only 2 mind you villa dont look that well supported on here either

Guest Django

Hey calm down. No cage rattled here. Just making the point that Man City aren't the topic of conversation that Man City fans would wish to believe they are.

Yes it is just my opinion that we don't need a section on this forum for UK football. Again, it is as stated above 'The Adelaide Migration forum'. Am I not entitled to say this??? Am I not allowed to also have an opinion???

I am a die hard football fan but if we had a section for UK football would we not also need one for the people that enjoy fishing, Aussie footie, netball, music, cooking, etc, etc, etc????? This would make the forum too large and awkward to navigate.

What I would suggest is that a regular meet be set up for all the football fans to get together. Would this not be better? Then you wouldn't have to waste so much time on forums. ;) ;):biglaugh:

Guest majortom

"Im forever blowing bubbles".....................West Ham through and through.

Never had too much success, but we did win the world cup in 66.

Had the privalige of seeing Bobby Moore (RIP) play.

Jim

Guest majortom

I hope we dont get a rich arab shaggy, because with all that money will come expensive foreign so called superstars............and I dont want that at West Ham.

We are very rich in the young talent coming through. We still have one of the best youth academys in this country, and Tony Carr has been instrumental in bringing those young english talents through, including the ones you have mentioned.

At West Ham they want to achieve success, not buy it !!

Guest Shaggy

I hope we dont get a rich arab shaggy, because with all that money will come expensive foreign so called superstars............and I dont want that at West Ham.

We are very rich in the young talent coming through. We still have one of the best youth academys in this country, and Tony Carr has been instrumental in bringing those young english talents through, including the ones you have mentioned.

At West Ham they want to achieve success, not buy it !!

I totaly agree with what you are saying and in an ideal world that is how football should be ,all local youths playing for there teams ,but those days are long gone.

We never bought any expensive foreign superstars ,what about Radichoiu (you know who i mean ) and what about Marco Boogers only joking of course.

I believe that West ham's Academy is one of the Best in the World consistantly churning out high quality but are record of keeping hold of the best young talent is not good they want to play against the best players in the best competitions ,and you needa lot of money and a very large squad to catch up with the so called big boys and do well in all comps, ...just my opinion no offense meant.