Citizenship questions

Well, unbelievable as it may seem for those of you who followed our previous threads (you haven't? I'll save you time - we came, we left, we came back again...) we've now done four years here in beautiful Adelaide and we can finally go for our citizenship! Now, is it right that if we go for our citizenship we have to apply for our Aussie passports straight away? And how hard is the test? My brain is quite small and won't appreciate having to actually learn stuff again!!:biglaugh: Tell you what, to save us all a bit of time, can somebody just give me the link to the website I need to look at???

no you can apply for your passports anytime after your citizenship ceremony which can be 6 - 9 months after your approval. However as you have connections overseas I wouldn't wait too long as if you had to leave in a hurry it would be one thing that you wouldn't want to worry about. They last 10 years.

Guest loopylisa

Absolutely do it ASAP. My family didnt and then lo and behold I went and fell in love with an aussie and then didnt realise I didnt a passport and it was a big hassle to get one. Also you will get ALOT of hassle from immi at the airport if you try and leave on a british passport and go back to the UK. Saying that they will let you out but as we were told its just a hassle trying to get back in. I think now children get their own citizenship certificates but when I was a child they didnt and this caused hassle too, so if by chance they dont get there own make sure you get them one before they are 18. Once you have your aussie passport its so easy to move across through immi! If you come via melbourne then you get to use the automatic check in kiosks and you can get your retina scanned cus the passports have chips in them. Very cool :cool:

test is easy Liz, remember you have to add on any time you were absent from Oz to your 4 years. If you want your citizenship quicker, you can go for your ceremony the friday of the week you take your test at the immi offices, but no kids allowed, otherwise you wait for your local council to have their next ceremony which can be a few months. You can then apply for an aussie passport at your convenience. Good luck with it

test is easy Liz, remember you have to add on any time you were absent from Oz to your 4 years. If you want your citizenship quicker, you can go for your ceremony the friday of the week you take your test at the immi offices, but no kids allowed, otherwise you wait for your local council to have their next ceremony which can be a few months. You can then apply for an aussie passport at your convenience. Good luck with it

Thanks for that Rach. Did check the immigration web site when we came back last October and because we were away less than 12 weeks we don't have to add that time on. At least that's what I think it said, will have a check just in case.

Guest Tina P

Another question and carn't find the answer on the web site is, does your uk passport have to be in date ?

My youngest's passport ran out last year and we have never renewed it but I have been told it needs to be in date to apply for citizenship !

Has anyone gone for citizenship and the uk passport is out of date ?

Thanks

Tina

Another question and carn't find the answer on the web site is, does your uk passport have to be in date ?

My youngest's passport ran out last year and we have never renewed it but I have been told it needs to be in date to apply for citizenship !

Has anyone gone for citizenship and the uk passport is out of date ?

Thanks

Tina

Just bumping this question up as I am in the same predicament, dont really want to renew the kids UK passports if they are going to get Aussie ones :nah:

I did some reading on the subject and found this and while you don't need to according to this, I'd consider the implications

http://www.ptlabs.com.au/visas/faq.php#rrv005

Just consider that whoever has an expired passport would not be able to travel outside of Australia. Also unless you are renouncing your UK citizenship you would need a UK passport to reenter the UK as its the standard to enter and leave a country on that countries passport if you hold it (so Aus for Aus, UK for UK).

I found it in this thread using the search function :)

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-gossip-chat/20479-wot-happens-when-your-passport-runs-out-oz.html

Guest RobJ1978

Funnily enough my hubby and i have been talking about citizenship this weekend...not that we have even applied for the visa yet (:daydreaming:) however, if you get citizenship, does this mean when it says nationallity on form do you put Australian instead of British? (maybe a stupid question as i presume you would put Australian, but just chcking)

• 2 weeks later...

An update for anyone interested, have just got off the phone to Australian Immigration and Citizenship and have been told that it doesnt matter if your kids UK passports are out of date when you apply for citizenship, unless you are intending to travel overseas within that year as there is a lenghthy process to getting citizenship and Aussie passports.