cat laws!

Growler

Hi,Weve just heard that they are introducing new cat laws from the Adelaide council (only 2 per household) is this true? We are very worried as we are coming over to live in june and we have 4 of them!!If so what areas are affected and who can we speak to about this ....

please help

bruce and mandi

Each council is different - for instance I know for sure that Mitcham Council has some cat bylaws, limiting number of cats per household, but Tea Tree Gully Council where we live doesn't - yet! There are about 68 councils in South Australia, so it will depend on where you are thinking of living

port noarlunga is http://www.onkaparingacity.com/onka/living_here/pets_animals/cats.jsp and hallet cove is http://www.marion.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=409 having a quick look it seems there is no limit in port noarlunga but in hallet cove there is a limit of 2 but can apply for a permit for extra cats but dont think you can do that until you get a property here...

woodford??? do you mean woodcroft if you do than thats onkaparinga council as well...

Hope that helps

Jo

Hi all, Thankyou very much. Had quite an upsetting morning thinking whether to rehome some of them its a hard decision. Ive had a look on these sites and im going to call the council also and speak to them. Any of you brought cats over with you? I have enought worries about emigrating without this on top lol!

Regards,

Mandi

Guest Guest5035

i did read that depending on the council, that if you make the cats a "indoor cat", ie fully caged in the back yard then you can have more than 1, but no more than 2.

stevo

I don't know anything about the proposed (?) legislation but I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you -and your cats- will be here before any change has taken place. I think there would be a public outcry if any new law even suggested that healthy animals were euthanised to meet any max cat numbers of the new legislation. I believe time would have to be given to allow a gradual implementation.

I don't imagine they would make you get rid of your kitties as I that would be cruel and put more strain on the animal charities. If the two -cat maximum is implemented, perhaps it will be the same as the dog law where you can get special dispensation to keep more than two if your home and yard are big enough or you are perhaps in a rural area.

If all else fails, I suppose you could just not register a couple of them! I would never normally recommend any such action but I guess if my animals were threatened I'd do it. I know some people who have never registered any of their dogs. They are not a nuisance and no one seems to have spotted that they have unregistered animals.

As you can see, I am not basing my comments on the proposals because I only know what Lynsteve has said but I would recommend you don't put extra pressure on yourselves.:wubclub:

LC

Guest mimasawrus

Hey

We haven't got any cats, but I did bring three dogs with me, we got them all registered with Onkaparinga City Council and I wrote a nice letter to the Council requesting a permit for three, the dog warden came round and granted our permit for three dogs. Then I went an volunteered at the RSPCA and found another sausage dog that I could not leave at the shelter so brought her home too, and applied for a permit for a fourth dog which was granted We have since lost our greyhound to the big kennel in the sky so are down to three again, but we still have our permit. so I think you will be ok with cats. I think that Onkaparinga Council must see that if you have paid all that money to import them, then you are going to look after them properly. Good Luck