Important Questions

Shipping out to Adelaide in a little under two months. Myself my wife and two kids. I have all the bases covered (My Wife does actually,I cannot take credit) with regards, banking, schools, shipping etc.

The important question I am asking is: Adelaide Crows or Port Adelaide . What decides who you support?

Our family is mostly Crows but we like to see Port doing well. Just not against the Crows. Mind you, some in the family are Port fans. Son decided for himself over the past few months as to which team he was going to support. We just let him figure it out for himself.

We know a fair few locals who don't support either Crows or Port but teams from other states.

Locally in the SANFL we support the Glenelg Tigers :)

It would probably be wise to sit on the fence for a while when you first get here, some locals take it very seriously so it might be best to take a neutral stance until you have figured the lie of the land. Port used to be the big underdogs and it used to be easy to get in to see them play as there were always lots of empty seats - now things have changed and they are doing well and all of a sudden they have lots of new fans. Despite the fact that my husband supports the Crows and I know Scott Thompson's auntie, I have always preferred Port Adelaide/Power, although my initial choice was I admit based on the fact that I prefer the colour of their kit!!!

Port have been at it since 1870. The Crows are a made-up team formed in the 90's and have no history.

Port have got to where they are through their own efforts. The Crows had loads of State money thrown at them to get them off the ground.

The Crows supporters are generally better off financially than Port supporters. Unfortunately this gives many of them a superiority complex.

The Crows team decided to play in the State Gurnsey for the inaugural showdown at Adelaide Oval. Quite rightly they were slated from all corners and were forced to back down and wear their own colours. And they lost the game (hahaha).

As far as I'm concerned the next best thing to a Power win is a Crows loss.

Edited by sidestep

The Crows are a made-up team formed in the 90's and have no history.

I think you'll find that Port tried to pull a dirty trick to enter the AFL. The ten (?) SANFL teams had agreed not to join the AFL for three years, but Port went behind the SANFL and negotiated with the AFL. Ended up with Port having to withdraw and the Crows being formed and put forward.

Had the original Port attempt gone ahead, Adelaide would have been represented by an existing SANFL team, Port, rather than a team made up from statewide, SANFL players - the Adelaide Crows - which is surely more representative of our state. So, if selected to form a new team = 'made-up', then yes, in the same way the Brisbane Lions, The Suns or GWS, West Coast..are.

People say old ladies go for the Crows, ferals for Port, but who knows. Or cares. It is obvious that the recent rush to follow Port Power has pulled people from all over. I think it was only 2012 when Port were desperately trying to get members, and they did...until they went back to losing. Then hardly anyone went to their home games and the covers went back on the empty seats lol!

I'd listen to Anne B's advice and wait till you get here. Feelings ride high and you can't underestimate how much people stand behind their team (although Port tend to be mostly mouth!).

I agree with Sidestep, although in reverse, a Port loss is aaaaaaaalmost as good as a Crows win. I think it was pretty telling when Port made it to the Grand Final in 2007 and no one I knew would barrack for them, even though they came from South Australia. We, like just about everybody else, get together with friends to watch the Grand Final and the Port loss of 119 points was a brilliantly happy outcome! Sooo good!

LC

Guest Guest75
I think you'll find that Port tried to pull a dirty trick to enter the AFL. The ten (?) SANFL teams had agreed not to join the AFL for three years, but Port went behind the SANFL and negotiated with the AFL. Ended up with Port having to withdraw and the Crows being formed and put forward.

Had the original Port attempt gone ahead, Adelaide would have been represented by an existing SANFL team, Port, rather than a team made up from statewide, SANFL players - the Adelaide Crows - which is surely more representative of our state. So, if selected to form a new team = 'made-up', then yes, in the same way the Brisbane Lions, The Suns or GWS, West Coast..are.

People say old ladies go for the Crows, ferals for Port, but who knows. Or cares. It is obvious that the recent rush to follow Port Power has pulled people from all over. I think it was only 2012 when Port were desperately trying to get members, and they did...until they went back to losing. Then hardly anyone went to their home games and the covers went back on the empty seats lol!

I'd listen to Anne B's advice and wait till you get here. Feelings ride high and you can't underestimate how much people stand behind their team (although Port tend to be mostly mouth!).

I agree with Sidestep, although in reverse, a Port loss is aaaaaaaalmost as good as a Crows win. I think it was pretty telling when Port made it to the Grand Final in 2007 and no one I knew would barrack for them, even though they came from South Australia. We, like just about everybody else, get together with friends to watch the Grand Final and the Port loss of 119 points was a brilliantly happy outcome! Sooo good!

LC

Referring to an earlier post in this thread.

You have teeth, just a shame they were someone elses.............