Preparing for Autumn / Winter?

sunnyside

This may be a very stupid question for some but hope to get some info..

I come from a country which has just one season - summer (well almost!!!) except for the occasional rain in June / July.

I have been living here for 3 months now and enjoyed the sun. But soon the weather will change (hopefully not?!).

So wondering how others get ready for the cold weather.

Thanks.

What a horrible thought - winter is on it's way!! You will need to stock up on winter clothes - socks, shoes, long trousers, jumpers, a warm jacket, some nice furry slippers for indoors and some warm pyjamas! Sounds like a good excuse for a shopping spree!! As for bedding you will need a warm winter weight quilt and if you haven't got good heating in your house then it might be worth investing in an electric blanket for the bed. It's amazing how cold it can feel in Adelaide, even if the temperature is not really low - the houses are really badly insulated and heated so be prepared.

Last winter was horrid....I was in an older house in old Reynella with high ceilings and poor insulation and heating!

It's already started to get cold at night,

I would recommend a trip to your local Bunnings. Get some weather strips for the doors and some draught excluders for the gap at the bottom of the doors. If you own the house...rollsof insulation would be good. Also, gas heating if the house is yours...get in now before the rush!

The stores should be having specials on winter duvets soon...I have summer and winter ones...plus blankets.

it's shocking just how cold it can get here1

Get an umberella as well!

Tamara

We have heaters in the house and electric blankets in all the beds. May have to buy the other things.

Be careful of your electricity bill, last winter ours was $750 a quarter for just the two of us and it all came down to using heaters and electric blankets. Just hope we get the solar installed before we need to use them again ... grief I only took the electric blanket off the bed a month ago!

I am in a rented house so wouldn't be able to install anything at this moment. Thanks for the info though.

We have heaters in the house and electric blankets in all the beds. May have to buy the other things.

Yeah I would be careful of the electricity bill and where you can add layers instead of just switching the heating on.

My kids will be sleeping in all in one sleep suits with feet with pj under and socks and pos vest and duvet and an extra blanket on top when it's really chilly! before I put the heaters on!

We are in a rental and have put those draft strips as mentioned on doors and windows (mainly to stop the windows rattling!) and have noticed a difference already. My friend also said she is going to get big boxes of cardboard up on the windows!

Prioritising electricity, electric blankets on beds are not something that occur to me at all. Cos bed is the only place I am never cold! It's the air in the house I find cold, and can't stand drafts. So yes draft excluders sounding tempting, and also warm socks and slippers!

If you're not used to winter weather you might I suppose consider what food you will want to eat - if you don't already cook casseroles and other "hearty" food as part of your normal repertoire that may be something to look into in terms of collecting recipes / buying a slow cooker or something.