Hoping to move to Adelaide

Matsrossco

Hi - we're new to the forum as a family of 4 with 2 sons aged 22 and 17. I've been offered a new job with my current employer and they've submitted the 457 visa application and we hope to get approval in the coming few months. My employer has suggested a few locations to rent/buy to the North of Adelaide such as Gawler and Hewett as the job is not in the CBD and it would be great to hear how easy it would be to meet and settle into these local communities. My eldest son won't be with us as he's working in Perth (WA) so it will be my wife and 17 year old son moving to Adelaide and we're keen to meet families with teenagers of his age so we can make new friends - it would be great to hear from any members!!

My daughter has just moved with her family into Hewett, from interstate. There are many young families on the newish estate, good kindy and primary school and she thinks she will like living there. She previously (a few years ago) lived in Nuriootpa and worked in Gawler and likes the area.

With teenagers, you may be looking at Gawler, as you would need to be nearer transport and high schools. My daughter finds that she has to drive into Gawler for most things, shops, medical facilities, gym,etc. Hewett is mainly a collection of houses with a few small shops. Gawler is a small town with a rail connection to Adelaide and has more facilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - 457 visa approved today for the 3 of us (son 17 and finished school) and I'll move to Adelaide in March/April before my wife and son arrive in June. I'll transfer with my current employer and work in the barossa valley. Is staying in Gawler/Hewett a good option for both travelling to work, the city and beaches? It would be great to meet and make we friends when we arrive to help us settle into the community.

Any advice or helpful tips would be appreciated - really excited about the move!!!

If you are going to work in the Barossa, there are some lovely towns to live there, though Gawler and Hewett are not far away. Hewett is a new build estate, Gawler is an old town with character, but does have a few areas which are a bit scruffy. Barossa towns, Lyndoch, Tanunda Nuriootpa and Angaston are all delightful communities and have good facilities, but no hospitals. There are plans to electrify the Gawler train line, but I can't see that happening for a few years. Takes about and hour by train into Adelaide CDB at present. There are several large shopping centres within 30mins.

However, none of these mentioned are what I would call "near the beaches" and it does take about 1 hour to drive into the CBD. If it is important for your family to access the beaches or the city you may have to think of living in another area and commute to the Barossa, against the traffic flow.

I live in Hewett and love it. We are on the edge of the Barossa and Gawler on our doorstep so beautiful countryside but lots of amenities close by. Gawler has an outdoor pool, cinema, lots of parks, bike trails, shops, pubs and places to eat. Plenty to do for all ages. It takes about 50mins to get to the nearest beach but the traffic is never an issue so that suits us. Less than 2 hours to the Yorke Peninsular too where there are stunning beaches. Any other questions just fire away ☺

Edited by kelbert

Its about 1.25 to 1.5 hours drive from where we live to Gawler. Hence us not getting up that way often. Usually for a day out to some place and we combine it with a meal at a winery or something.

As has been said, there is the train into the city but to get anywhere else a car would be the usual suspect.

I'm not sure if your 17 year old will find it ok or not, depends what he is used to and is leaving behind.

Its a long way from beaches. Have a good look at Google maps and the real estate sites to give you an idea.

Thanks everybody for your advice - if there's anything you think can be helpful when living near barossa valley please let us know. We like to have some amenities nearby (gym, doctors, hospital, shopping centres, places to eat/drink etc.) and would be happy to drive to beaches, countryside or the city centre if within about an hour!!! Ideally we would like a location where my son will make friends and have activities to keep him busy

With a son of the age that yours is, I would be looking at living somewhere like Highbury, Athelstone, even up as far as Golden Grove. You can get to the Barossa easily - takes about 30 minutes - but you are also within easy reach of the city for Universities, jobs, social life etc etc. Takes my son about half an hour to get into the city for Adelaide Uni from here on public transport - would take about 15 minutes if I dropped him at the OBahn interchange.