Feedback on some areas needed

niknjas

Bloody hell, we are from Swindon too! We live in Covingham, the mrs is 38 and went to St Josephs, I'm an incomer from Essex. Our flights are booked for 10th March, we are lokking at short term rental in Christies Beach (nice and cheap) while we look for our own place.

I'm a brickie so will hopefully find work in that area. Niknjas & mydearboy - wanna meet up for a beer soon, will be good to make a few friends before we go as we have no contacts in Adelaide at all.

We are me (Damo,35, Lisa, 38, Kieran, 8 and Daisy-Lou, 4).

Damien

Bloody hell, we are from Swindon too! We live in Covingham, the mrs is 38 and went to St Josephs, I'm an incomer from Essex. Our flights are booked for 10th March, we are lokking at short term rental in Christies Beach (nice and cheap) while we look for our own place.

I'm a brickie so will hopefully find work in that area. Niknjas & mydearboy - wanna meet up for a beer soon, will be good to make a few friends before we go as we have no contacts in Adelaide at all.

Damien

Yeah would love 2 meet up 4 a beer, lets arrange something, would be great to know some peeps when we get out there we are comming out in june so not long behind you, have you been there before? we just came back from a reccie.

Darren 7 Lisa

Guest SA Great

Damien

We should rename this thread "The Town End!". My sister lives in Covingham!

Guest cherryn

Hi ,

Me and my hubby are planning to move to Adelaide early January all going well ..im 48 and hubby is 42 ...the question i would like to ask is ..my hubby is going to be working in Port Adelaide and we were looking to rent something there but heard that its not good an area even though there is some beautiful apartments to rent . Like NikandJas we are looking for some info on areas ...i know it doesnt matter where you live there are 'good' and 'bad' areas but would like advice on this if possible...what we would like is ...easy commutable (if thats a word) 40 mins max to hubby's work .(coz he will have the car :-( )easy transport links into the city for me ,near shopping malls cafes and resturants if possible and a gym with lots of classes for me too (Do i sound selfish its me me me lol?)

The other thing is i have two jobs just now and am wondering what my job prospects are i work as an auxiliary nurse two days a week and also work as a beauty consultant for clarins one day , what are the job prospects like in both areas ?

I feel like i have 101 questions but everyone on here must have been the same at some time .

I will apprreciate any advice

Thank you in advance

Nancy & Brian

Hi ,

Me and my hubby are planning to move to Adelaide early January all going well ..im 48 and hubby is 42 ...the question i would like to ask is ..my hubby is going to be working in Port Adelaide and we were looking to rent something there but heard that its not good an area even though there is some beautiful apartments to rent . Like NikandJas we are looking for some info on areas ...i know it doesnt matter where you live there are 'good' and 'bad' areas but would like advice on this if possible...what we would like is ...easy commutable (if thats a word) 40 mins max to hubby's work .(coz he will have the car :-( )easy transport links into the city for me ,near shopping malls cafes and resturants if possible and a gym with lots of classes for me too (Do i sound selfish its me me me lol?)

The other thing is i have two jobs just now and am wondering what my job prospects are i work as an auxiliary nurse two days a week and also work as a beauty consultant for clarins one day , what are the job prospects like in both areas ?

I feel like i have 101 questions but everyone on here must have been the same at some time .

Thank you in advance

Nancy & Brian

Port Adelaide is fine, don't listen to the scaremongerers - lovely people, good shops, good transport links. Look at Semaphore/Largs if you want something beachy nearby. Or you could look somewhere like Fulham Gardens, Seaton, West Lakes - depends on your budget. Otherwise look at the North Eastern suburbs - Golden Grove, Greenwith, Wynn Vale down to Athelstone, even perhaps Salisbury Heights as with the new Port River Expressway it's an easy drive to the Port - all acceptable commutes to Port Adelaide and good transport links into the City for you. Couple of branches of Fitness First at Payneham and Holden Hill (both NE) and I'm sure there's others around too. Loads in and around the City if you end up working there. Try googling "fitness clubs adelaide". Stick to western suburbs, north eastern, or eastern suburbs for getting to the Port in less than 40 minutes - go much further south than Glenelg and your OH's travel time is going to get less manageable.

. Stick to western suburbs, north eastern, or eastern suburbs for getting to the Port in less than 40 minutes - go much further south than Glenelg and your OH's travel time is going to get less manageable.
you could go a lot further down than Glenelg and still get to the port quicker than coming accross town from the eastern suburbs!.:)

Guest rachinadelaide
Hi ,

Thank you in advance

Nancy & Brian

I work in Port Adelaide and there are a few undesirables around but I really like it. The whole Port is being developed (slowly!) and there is a lovely historical precinct and of course, the dolphins!

It's got all the necessary shops - Post Office, chemist, supermarkets, cafes etc and it's only about 4kms to West lakes Mall which has even more shops. You've also got Semaphore just down the road which is a great seaside suburb with lot of cafes and restaurants.... It's on the train line to the city too.

We live just down the road at West Lakes and often walk to Port Adelaide or Semaphore for our evening's entertainment.

I even happen to know someone who has a great furnished apartment (available in January) in the new Newport Quays development too... (that's me!!)

Rach

you could go a lot further down than Glenelg and still get to the port quicker than coming accross town from the eastern suburbs!.:)

30 minutes from Athelstone or Highbury - Grand Junction Road is pretty direct. Apparently we sort of count as Eastern suburbs.... And I'm doing it every day at the moment, so I do know what I'm talking about!!

30 minutes from Athelstone or Highbury - Grand Junction Road is pretty direct. Apparently we sort of count as Eastern suburbs.... And I'm doing it every day at the moment, so I do know what I'm talking about!!
Now i thought you spent the past few years saying you are in the north east!.:)........... I thought east meant Burnside Norwood Glen osmond......those sort of areas, in which case , it would take time to get up to grand junction road........

It also depends on what time of day you travel to how long it takes.If her hubby starts early, then travel times reduce markedly.

Now i thought you spent the past few years saying you are in the north east!.:)........... I thought east meant Burnside Norwood Glen osmond......those sort of areas, in which case , it would take time to get up to grand junction road........

It also depends on what time of day you travel to how long it takes.If her hubby starts early, then travel times reduce markedly.

Well we are in the Northeast as far as I know, but according to our local Messenger and the local aussies, it's "East" - frm Athelstone it's an easy jaunt up to the GJR, and from Highbury it's just one straight East/West dual carriageway - we even have an 80 limit for one bit of it!!!!

As for travel times, was chatting to someone the other day whose husband works somewhere along GJR - took him 1.5 hours sometimes from Happy Valley leaving at 6:45 in the morning - that's pretty early to me (I don't start till 9:30!!) and way too long to be sat in a car in 30+ degrees in the summer - particularly after a day at work! I think often people who have never been here don't realise how tiring it is with all the traffic lights here, and having to be so careful to watch your speed all the time, and then of course there are the notorious Adelaide drivers......!!!

Anything south of Glenelg - or Brighton at a push - would mean spending half your life in a car commuting when you could easily be home with a glass in hand!

Well we are in the Northeast as far as I know, but according to our local Messenger and the local aussies, it's "East" - frm Athelstone it's an easy jaunt up to the GJR, and from Highbury it's just one straight East/West dual carriageway - we even have an 80 limit for one bit of it!!!!

As for travel times, was chatting to someone the other day whose husband works somewhere along GJR - took him 1.5 hours sometimes from Happy Valley leaving at 6:45 in the morning - that's pretty early to me (I don't start till 9:30!!) and way too long to be sat in a car in 30+ degrees in the summer - particularly after a day at work! I think often people who have never been here don't realise how tiring it is with all the traffic lights here, and having to be so careful to watch your speed all the time, and then of course there are the notorious Adelaide drivers......!!!

Anything south of Glenelg - or Brighton at a push - would mean spending half your life in a car commuting when you could easily be home with a glass in hand!

I see traffic lights in my sleep and I've only been here two weeks!

Cooler

hi Guys

We live in Port Noarlunga / Christies beach and love it. Great beach, great shopping centre, near to station, reasonable rental costs. We read loads on here before we came and a lot of negative about this area however when we drove down the esplanade from Chrisites to Port Noarlunga and the sun was shining and the ocean turquoise our decision was made.!!!!!!!!!

Sheidow park is nice very new suburban 'Neighbours feel to the place'

Aldinga is beautiful and is being expanded all the time.

Not sure on Gawler never been. Would like to visit though.

You guys need to decide what you want from and find the place that ticks those boxes for you.

Heidi xxx