Clairvoyants and Religion WHY ?????

Guest cornish Busdriver

Can I just say at this point....

I had a fantastic headmaster at my "common" Secondary School who made us think.

He took the awkward ones ( can't think why he included me) and subjected us to 1 hour of philososphy and "thought" per week.

Lol Tyke, I love the idea of secondary school pupils being MADE to have one hour of 'thought' per week!!!!!!!!!!

Hazel.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cornish Busdriver

Once again interesting reading Lib.

WW1 & 2 even though were politicaly motivated then explain the gassing of the Jewish people if it wasnt religious or with religious intent.

"At the time of the Crusades, then everything could in some way shape or form could back to religion but not now" Explain Iraq, Palistine and Iran, Bosnia, Northern Ireland; there all political but all have religious conflicts within the wars.

"How dare people build mosques in a Christian country? Why do you care? You just said that religion is a load of rubbish so it means nothing to you. However, what about the churches built in Muslim countries...surely Christians have no right to build them either. What about Hindu temples, Buddhist temples, Jewish synagogues or is it just Muslims that you object to? And a Christian country...where did that come from? Your right religion doesnt matter to me but these are view you here everyday from people, in the uk there has been mosque burnt down because of religius beliefs and people saying were christians not muslims and the same has happend in muslim countries with churches. Religion is know for segregateing comunities, religion can also be linked to racisim.

"You're right UK is a Christian country, and its laws are founded upon Christian principles such as are laid down in the teaching of Jesus and also in the Ten Commandments (they're Jewish)."

How and why are laws founded upon Christian principles ? you say they are laid down in the teaching of Jesus and also in the Ten Commandments . Hmmmmmmmm have you actually seen or infact has anyone seen these ten commandments also why should laws be based on the teachings of someone that as you agreed was a story created by man and passed down though generations where translation has been lost and mis-interpreded.

Its good to see that you have studied well to get where you are to and understand so much about your chossen subject so you must have seen some factual documents or some positive proof or is biblical studies what i have always imagine it to be all thery with no true or real substance to back it up. by the way thats not a dig at you so please dont take it that way.

One thing that always gets me is how religion; its supose to be good so how then is it a good when istances of people putting religion above life like that jehova woman who would rather die then have a blood transfusion that would have saved her life when here baby was born but instead chose to die because of her religion. Another example in the USA a christian family instead of allowing medical science to save there son relied on prayer and religion and guess what there son died. Religious people will always say it was gods will, gods way, theve been taken to a better place; what a compleate load of tosh. People who put there belifs above there own lifes because of religion. Please answer that.

"What is the problem believing in God? Blaise Pascal, a French philosopher, said belief in God was a bet. If you believe in God, and there isn't one, you haven't lost anything. If you believe in God and there IS one, then you're right and gained all you hoped for. However, if you believe there isn't one, and then there is, you've lost everything. "

I have no-problem with people beliveing in what the like, my dad was christian my mum is pagan, my missus is pagan, ive have loads of musim, jewish and christian friends and even some that follow Jedism which is now an official religion. My problem is why people belive in something thats never been proven to exicist or ever excisted and how much religions are destroying people lives.

Another one (I've forgotten his name!!) said that if you could visualise the most perfect island in the world, then the island existed. Therefore, if you picture God, then God exists too. To reject God so strongly, you must have some clear idea of what God is in order to be able to reject God so thoroughly in which case you must be some sort of believer in the first case!

Look at the word visualise and how it has a simular meening to imagine, imagine leeds to imagination; imagination it not reality, imagination can only give what that person to wants it to give. You could imagine or visualise the moon is made of cheese but it doesnt meen its real.

Im talking to a couple of Clerics and priest this week and try to get answears off them to so this could get more interesting hearing what there points of view are on religion

Guest Libby1971
Matt - in my humble opinion I think it takes just as much faith to be an atheist and have an unshakeable and absolute belief in nothing as it does to have a belief in something.... just a thought.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Guest SA Great
Nice to see an open mind alive and flourishing

LOL nice one Libby you are dead right....when it comes to religion my mind closes very tightly. Went to the Vatican last year and there was a classic sight of a catholic priest with the holy cross behind him counting wads and wads of money. Sums it up....its all just a business. Originally religion was to control the masses but now its big business.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Originally religion was to control the masses but now its big business.
Thats how I see it SA! control the masses, make money, to be used as an excuse for wars terrorism and fighting and one other thing I wont mention :sad:

Guest Libby1971

It's taken two days of therapy to cope with the fact that the beautiful post I wrote got 'lost' when my internet connection went nuts and lost it. I haven't been able to log in since.:swoon: However, now I'm under the influence and unable to say much coherently at all. I will say though, that your opinion is respected. But still wrong IMO

Sarah and SA Great, I sort of agree to some tiny extent.

I'm not this ridiculous under usual circumstances (Smit, feel free to disagree!) and I'll regret this in the morning. I'll compose something intellectual while I sober up!

Guest cornish Busdriver

I had a great very long talk over a quiet a few coffees this morning with a priest and cleric and now have a new found respect for thoughs guys.

They agreed that religion is a lot more lot more fiction than fact and if people belived everything that what was supossed to of happend in the teaching then they would be very disalutioned and this is what is happening with people today by mis-interpreting what the are trying to preach or teach.

Religion is supossed to be a guide, a way for people to live a lead a better life and though time it has become to powerfull for its own good, been mis-interpreted so many times and as we all agreed on has far to many flaws and gives un-realistic expetations and today religion is about trying to put right the wrong lessons taught in the passed.

Both agreed on that more and more people are are losing faith in religion because of wars, radicals, racisism, disagreeing with others religious beliefs, segregating communities between hardcore religious groups and a lot more other things and this is backed up by less and less people going to church or turning up at the mosque. Over the last 10 years numbers have dropped by over 19% going to the catholic church and 10% going to a mosque.

They explained that some people need religion in there lives as peace of mind and security and like to think that there is something looking down upon them and gives them something to talk to in times of trouble BUT as this something can not be proven or dis-proven to exist and its up to the individule to decide. (Note: they both reffered to SOMETHING not god) as every culture has different beliefs that other cultures think are wrong but it is down to the lessons taught by parents to there children and by religious leaders that sculpture how religion is seen, lived by and processed.

They agreed that every religion is guilty of brutality, murder in the name of religion and religious belifes, wars in the name of religion and religious belifes and in some cultures ethnic cleasnsing in the name of religion and religious belifes even though thats not the way it was ment to be but due to mis-interpretations this is the way religion has gone.

No-knows how every culture embraces there religion so how could anyone contridict them for it by comparing it to there own, all we have to gone on is that religions history and progression though time.

Guest JayBone

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he will feed him and his family for a lifetime. Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish"

Guest Guest75
"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he will feed him and his family for a lifetime. Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

A bit of preying has been done ,when hit bad weather.

I do believe in "Goodness" and can see that some religions have some good guides to life and how to live it.

Hi All,

I don't post much now but I often have a little read and I found I just had to ask a question about this thread.

Is Poms In Adelaide - The Migration Forum for members to ask for and receive advice on migration issues?

I agree I've posted some C**p in the past but what the hell is this thread all about? Am I missing something? Has this helped anybody with their migration questions?

Good luck to everybody who is already here and those that are about to embark on their new lives here.

Cheers

Martin

Got to agree here, and also far too personall and touchy subject for this type of forum. Could say loads on the subject, but dont want to get banned from the forum based on my views, which are not unfounded (have studied lots of SCIENCE papers)and also refute most of what the believers have said on here. Will just say if people believe and that makes them in themselves feel better, then great, just dont go forcing it onto others who have different opinion, and vice versa. But again, i don't think this is a suitable subject fro this type of forum.