Guest Adelaide_bound

What tog duvet?

Guest Adelaide_bound

Can I ask what Tog duvet people have over in SA? I know you all keep saying how cold it gets there in Winter, so wondered what tog rating you had on your beds, as wondering what to do with regards to ours and possibly buying a new one or not....

Cheers :)

whatever you use in winter in the UK should be OK over here. The main issue is that the proper thick winter weight duvets are hard to come by in Australia.

Hi Guys

Great question nearly been here a year now and not found a european style quilt, thick and heavy, anyone know of where you can get them if at all?

Cheers

:)

It's not measured in Togs over here, you have a winter or summer weight, that's it really. Even the winter weight isn't adequate and we put 2 in the one duvet cover.

Ikea's the only place I've seen proper winter duvets (their warmth rating 5-6), but they're weird sizes so that you have to buy their covers too.

Guest mlissiman

I bought my kids a 13.5 tog duvet last year from good old M&S and had them shipped over here. The single size duvets in their 'value range' were only 9 pounds each plus 15 pounds shipping for the both of them and it still worked out SOOOOO much cheaper than buying them here.

Duvet Covers (called Manchester over here) are soooo expensive here. To get anything half decent you have to pay about $140 for it. If you can bring it with you then do it.

Guest bishop3912

Hi I brought over all my duvets & also bought new ones (the ones that clip together winter&summer). Judging by how cold it is at mo we r gonna b glad of them when our container arrives. Duvets Defo cheaper in UK for a really thick one. Regards Corinne

We've got the double layer ones that clip together. For all our beds. Plus thick winter duvets for spares. Will be bringing them all over as I am sure in winter they will get used. Although summer at its hottest will be just a sheet or duvet cover sans duvet in it.

If you have bedding to bring, get decent warm duvets to take also. I always get the ones you can clip together so you can have them really thick and warm in winter then as it gets warmer you can take one layer off and keep cooler.

Personally I'd buy decent ones that will last a long time. I've bought cheaper ones from Tesco and places and within a year they are being used for dog bedding as they don't wash well or keep their warmth well. At least not in our house with daily use and young kidlet :arghh::cute:

Guest boesman

Could I bring over our down duvets or do they only allow synthetic stuff?

Guest Adelaide_bound

Many thanks everyone, that's really useful - just to echo the question boesman made - do they let down/feather duvets in, or will they be seized and burnt for being a danger to Aussies delicate wildlife balance? ;)

BTW - we are starting to change our minds about bringing things over, and might just get a full container and ram it full, so get your orders in now for Duvets etc - we might be able to earn enough to set ourselves up a little easier then :biglaugh:

Hmmm I know this was asked a while back. I thought someone said they did let them in (as already treated etc) but don't quote me on it.

Perhaps have a search of the forum and see if anything comes back in the search results.

Guest Mitchell

I didn't bring a down duvet but I did bring a sofa that's full of feathers with no problems. I'm sure they would be fine.

Guest bishop3912

Pretty sure they r ok as pillows were fine. As previous poster stated they r already treated :-)