First rental inspection

Kingpin

Well, despite only being in the property for 3 weeks the Rental Agent is coming to do a first inspection on Tuesday. Is this normal? We have been given a form to fill out with any issues or repairs that need doing . I will be here so can talk to the Agent face to face also.

When we moved in there were some old fashioned yellowing net curtains on some windows which I took down. Do I have to put them back for the inspection?

We did raise a couple of points on our original inspection sheet when we moved in and have heard nothing back. How long should an Agent take to arrange these to be fixed and dealt with? We love the house but want things to work!

Any advise welcome

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I wouldn't worry about them coming for an inspection so soon - they are probably just doing your suburb so you get a visit!

I would't think the net curtains would be a problem either. Generally, inspections are to see if you are growing drugs/trashing the place. They can't/won't dictate what curtains you have up - and I don't think they care. I was really worried when we were due our first inspection, but it was unfounded. So long as you're looking after the place, then they'll be happy.

Sadly, I haven't heard of many agents being particlarly quick to respond to queries or non-urgent problems. Our agents certainly haven't been! It does seem to be the 'norm' here though. I find this very frustrating, and quite frankly rude!

HTH

ETA: I would still fill the inspection form in, even if you will be there to speak to the inspector as it's then definately on record. Also, I think if you haven't asked for something to be done regarding the issues you brought up on the initial inspection form, then they probably won't do anything about them.

Guest sarahtwinn82

Hi Sarah & family,

how are you doing? I hate inspections we have one every 4 months and I personally think it's an invasion of privacy, twice a year is sufficient. Don't put the yellow nets up for goodness sake, in fact give them to the agent and say what would the landlord like to do with these yellow stained nets or just shove them in the cubby hole till you change rentals. We can't wait to buy our own place but just haven't quite got enough together financially. Don't tidy up they are only checking you haven't knocked a wall down or ripped all the doors off...lol. dId I already say I hate inspections, I really do.

Hope you find a washer, fridge and double bed.

Hi

I agree with Sarah that the inspections are intrusive. We have been in ours two years and contact the landlord direct (Brit of course) and he comes and does work but still have to go through the drivel. There were things when we first moved in that I noted on the sheet as in any damage that the letting agent did nothing about. Have not worried as I knew they were there and not like gaping great holes in walls etc, just paint peeling etc. If there is anything that worries, you raise it at the inspection and keep raising it. They will not do anything unless you are in their face. Their main priority is getting paid by the landlord. Must admit though, everything is always clean but do major clean and always worry before inspection although never anything to worry about.

Hi

I agree with Sarah that the inspections are intrusive. We have been in ours two years and contact the landlord direct (Brit of course) and he comes and does work but still have to go through the drivel. There were things when we first moved in that I noted on the sheet as in any damage that the letting agent did nothing about. Have not worried as I knew they were there and not like gaping great holes in walls etc, just paint peeling etc. If there is anything that worries, you raise it at the inspection and keep raising it. They will not do anything unless you are in their face. Their main priority is getting paid by the landlord. Must admit though, everything is always clean but do major clean and always worry before inspection although never anything to worry about.

I agree. I am worried though. On the day I collected the keys I asked if they could provide details of when the boiler had been last serviced etc after a friend had a problem with hers in a rental house (thread on here somewhere). The agent told me there was no such information that I could see and there was no provision in Australian law for care and maintenance of gas and electrical systems. So basically we would have to take her word for it that in our older style house everything is fine!

Does anyone else have experience of this?

We have found Elders at Modbury to be amazing (they were good in our last Elders place, elsewhere in the city too). We have had to get them on side tho and have gone out of our way and done things to improve the place (with permission) that have not been our responsiblilty but they fix everything we ask them to (urgent and non-urgent) and even the non-urgent happens quickly. Our landlord is good, and I think that makes this an easy property for them to manage.

There are really good forms of advice and information sheet at the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs : http://www.ocba.sa.gov.au/tenancies/ I had a problem in our last place (not Elders) where the agent wanted us to pay for something which was not our responsibility, I checked it, refused, and heard nothing further (they didn't like it tho......).

I would ask for gas appliances to be serviced before the winter. If they can't tell you when it was last serviced, then maybe you can just give a low key request for them to do so.

We have a CO2 monitor that my mum bought for us in tesco and posted over. Agree we don't have the same rental protection here as in UK when it comes to gas. MAybe less important with the lack of central heating tho.

I think having a moving in inspection is pretty normal, and I agree that quarterly inspections come around far too quickly but to be honest we enjoy the connection with our agent and have worked at the relationship with her. She was very boundaried and cautious at first, and they had had their fingers burned with this property and the last tenants (hence work outside that we wanted done, to rectify damage from last tenants, but that hadn't been done. We did it ourselves and that has helped things no end). So maybe look at it as an opportunity to show them they have chosen the right tenants, invest in the professional relationship and hopefully that will stand you in good stead for things that need doing on the house as you go forward.

Point out the things that are in bad condition etc, if you haven't already done so on the schedule of condition. When you move out you will be glad you did.

We're on our 3rd rental here, so if you need any more advice or help, I will be really pleased if I can share anything that might make your life easier. xx

Guest Mitchell

Quarterly inspections are normal and agents taking their own sweet time to fix things seems to be too. However there are exceptions like Hookers in woodcroft. My agent has even changed my bulbs for me as I can't get them out. He's come round in 10 mins after 6pm when a power cut turned the air con off and I couldn't work out how to restart it. He also emails me to thank me for looking after the place after my inspections.

We had our first inspection last month, they just came to see that we hadnt destroyed it and we were keeping it clean. Not hard as last tenements were a couple of young surfing dudes she said it looked like a palace compared to when she last saw the place. As for curtains we have put the ones that were in the property in a cupboard to put back up when we leave. Takes a while to get things repaired as the agent has to contact the owners then they have to agree to the repairs.

Lisa

Thanks for the replies.

Inspection has now finished and it went well - quick glance in all the rooms - and great comments noted down by the agent so no worries there. With regards to the repairs I know our rental the agent has pre set budget (few hundred $$$) for repairs so does not have to contact the Landlord everytime the oven breaks down or a screen needs replacing. They have now organsied a handyman to come tomorrow at 9am. With regards to another issue involving the garden I dont think we are going to have much luck but I will keep trying....