Shipping. Who to go with?

shelagh1973

Hello, this is the first time I have been on PIA for ages... always the place I turn to for help! OH and I returned from our visa validation a few weeks ago. Had a fab time and met lots of wonderful, friendly people (especially the people running the place we stayed in!) Now I need to get cracking on organising the big move. I have read some of the posts about shipping companies and listed the ones which people have recommended. I also read Vikkiann's post about all her belongings turning up wrecked. How awful! Is it possible for people to pm me with the 'DO NOT USE?' I'm not sure if you are allowed to do this but hopefully (if you are allowed to tell me) it will help us to make a more informed decision. Any ideas on who to use would be appreciated also. I also noticed people mentioned using insurance companies, any recommendations?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Shelagh and Steve

Guest K.gordon

Hi there, we've used John Mason, our furniture is still travelling by boat, due to arrive 10th Oct. We've used a shared container and we only had to wait 10 days for it to set sail. From the moment they arrived at our home they were nothing but professional and extremely helpful. They packed everything fantastically (what I saw anyway!!) - I'm just hoping it is all still in good order when we receive it at the other end! I'd recommend them on how they've been SO FAR :)

Kate

We used Robinsons ans were very happy overall. The quote included a full unpacking service where everything gets unpacked and furniture gets put back together. We only had two quotes (PSS and Doree Bonner both failed to turn up for the appointments), the other quote was from Pickfords. Both came out at pretty much the same volume and price but we liked the guy from Robinsons better so we went with them.

Thank you K.gorden and NicF. It seems Pickfords and John Mason are the front runners. Did you get separate insurance? Do you mind me asking who from? Is it terribly rude to ask what your quote was? I fully understand if you don't want to tell me.

Thank you so much for your time and advice once again. Good luck with the moves, I hope all goes well.

Shelagh

Hi Leeds 1877,

It seems Pickfords are the front runners! Your insurance quote was excellent too. We have also moved in with my partner's Mum. We have to wait for another year though before we go. How exciting - you are off at the end of March! Safe journey and I hope all goes well for you. Thanks for your help.

Shelagh

Thank you K.gorden and NicF. It seems Pickfords and John Mason are the front runners. Did you get separate insurance? Do you mind me asking who from? Is it terribly rude to ask what your quote was? I fully understand if you don't want to tell me.

Thank you so much for your time and advice once again. Good luck with the moves, I hope all goes well.

Shelagh

We got seperate insurance from Letton Percivel. They quoted us 1.5% of the value of our contents, which worked out significantly less than the 3% the shipping companies were asking for.

No it's not rude to ask how much we paid - we could always refuse to answer. We paid just over £4k for a full 20ft container. Some of the amount you pay depends on how much special packing you will need, so if you hardly have any breakables and all your furniture is farily box shaped you would pay less than someone with lots of breakable goods and odd shaped furniture. We didn't haggle with the movers but we did ask them when the ship was leaving and arranged for them to come at a time so the container would go straight ln a ship.

Guest K.gordon

Hi Shelagh,

We went with Letton Percival, Liverpool. Extremely helpful and a fraction of the cost that other insurers were quoting. Think we paid roughly £130 for our stuff, we were quoted near on £600 by others!! Spoke to a guy called John Leaver, give him a call. Hope this info helps.

Kate

Hi Kate,

When do you fly out to Oz to meet your belongings etc? I ask, because I am looking to go with John Mason as there quote has been quite competitive. It would be good if you could let me know how it all goes with the arriva etc. This shipping lark is quite tricky really ;/

We fly out 27th Jan and were thinking of sending our things early Jan but after reading a few threads I'm not so sure what to do for the best really!!!!

Cheers Karen

Guest jakeandshelley

Hi Karen

I too am a Primary teacher and my OH a joiner. We have 3 children, Nairn 6, Tain 4 and Elise 9 weeks. We are hoping to come over in January too. Have just started checking out shipping companies so this thread is very useful. Are you planning to teach when you come over? Where in Adelaide will you be going. It's good to hear from others like us!

Shelley :-))

Hello how lovely to have lots in common! We fly on Jan 27th and then have an 8 week rental in Christies Beach. Yep I do intend on teaching, however I'm quite aware it won't be so straightforward so I want to do voluntary first and get familiar with the systems etc. when we went over in April we loved the west/ south areas so will be looking to live around there hopefully!

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shelagh

Not sure if you are still looking for info but I used John Mason and so far have had no problems, though my goodies are also still at sea, arriving 2nd Oct. Their quote was cheaper than Anglo and White & Co, and they were very pleasant. I also used Letton Percival for insurance, was MUCH cheaper and it was all very simple and they were very helpful.

Will post once I am in Adelaide and have my stuff - hopefully all will be well! :-)

Maeri-Anne

We are using John Mason - they seemed the most professional and were the cheapest. We also had quotes from PSS & Crown, PSS were very close but they specified a limit even though we wanted sole use of a 20ft container. In fact, the guy at PSS was very complimentary of John Mason when my wife phoned to say we weren't taking up their offer. Crown were way more expensive than the rest and seemed hell bent on slagging off everyone else. Searching the forums you will find good and bad comments about all companies - it's down to personal choice and gut feelings really.