What do vegeterians eat in oz????

Growler

Hey LC, I'm the parent of a recently converted teenage vegetarian - got any good recipe suggestions?

Good for her (I'm assuming it's a daughter lol!)! :notworthy:

It can be quite hard for new vegos; let's face it, even today the system isn't as set up for people who don't choose to eat meat or want their food cooked in meat juices lol. I feel very strongly that new vegetarians shouldn't be too hard on themselves and if they fancy the odd burger, snag or whatever, don't give up. Every meal without meat is a positive thing. But that's just my opinion :cool:

My kid decided that she didn't want to be responsible (through purchase) for animal suffering...but she liked the taste :smile: so I adapted whatever I was cooking for the omnis, using meat substitutes such as 'mince'. The omnis enjoy the vego food too, so will share our cheese/spinach/pumpkin pasties or lasagne, vegetable curries, roasted vegetable salads/couscous, stir fries etc.

As for recipes, I'm no gourmet cook! It all seems normal to me so I don't really know what to suggest :frown:. Maybe you could give me an idea of what you are looking for? Sorry if that seems a bit weak!

:wubclub: LC

Yes, a daughter - I struggle to get the boy-child to eat anything green so he'd starve if he went veggie! Our daughter has changed for the same reason - doesn't like the conditions in which most food animals are kept before their demise. I made cheese and onion pasties last night, and of course stir-fries are a good option, but I need to start making more use of things such as pumpkin, and all those green leafy iron-rich things like spinach. Do you buy veggie mince subsitutes, and if so are these in the usual supermarkets? I might have a go at a lasagne or a moussaka - she's not keen on fish either so it's putting a whole new slant on my cooking!

Yes, a daughter - I struggle to get the boy-child to eat anything green so he'd starve if he went veggie! Our daughter has changed for the same reason - doesn't like the conditions in which most food animals are kept before their demise. I made cheese and onion pasties last night, and of course stir-fries are a good option, but I need to start making more use of things such as pumpkin, and all those green leafy iron-rich things like spinach. Do you buy veggie mince subsitutes, and if so are these in the usual supermarkets? I might have a go at a lasagne or a moussaka - she's not keen on fish either so it's putting a whole new slant on my cooking!

Diane - a few of my favourite home made veggie meals. I might start a thread in the receipies section for the actual receipies when I have a bit more time.

Lentil dhal, with rice and / or naan bread (if you tandori some meat as well the non veggies can have tandori meat and lentil dhal)

Chickpea burgers

Quinoa with veggies and cashew nuts - things like roast squash or raw carrots and capsicum work well.

Chilli pasta bake (made with leek, zucchini, pasata and creme fraiche)

Omelette with various veggies and cheese serve with salad and/or wedges

Do you buy veggie mince subsitutes, and if so are these in the usual supermarkets? I might have a go at a lasagne or a moussaka - she's not keen on fish either so it's putting a whole new slant on my cooking!

You can buy quorn mince or pieces or fillets or "meat"balls, coles have the main range but you will also find it in woolies........... i use it alot, ive made lasagne using it for my meat eating OH and he has no problem with it...

Jo

Hi and thanks to everyone who has commented on this site. I have done a pretend shop on Coles and Woolworths and yes there are a few veggie things the choice is no way near what I have over here. Im also not the best cook and a very fussy eater! So i really dont help myself. A plate full of vegetables to me really doesnt interest me. Over in the UK linda Mccartney has a fantastic vegeterian range etc etc flame grilled mozarella burgers etc. I do eat fish (hopefully i can get responsibly sourced fish sometimes too) though and prawns so i guess id be called a Pescetarianism. I also use quorn but i nearly fell off my chair when i saw the prices....

Diane i make a chilli con carnie (as hot or as mild as you like) using quorn and then we have a chill with rice, or chilli with potatoe wedges with sour cream and cheese, and then if ive made a massive batch id freeze it and use it later by making Burritos simply by putting into tortilla wraps and baking in the oven with melted cheese ontop, have this with either salad, or sweet potatoe mash, mexican rice and jalapenoes etc. I am stuck for recipies really so i will wait and see what vegetables i can get and see what i can make with whats available.. Can anyone tell me how much cheaper are the actual food markets that everyone goes on about please like for fish and salad do you really save that much money?

I do eat fish (hopefully i can get responsibly sourced fish sometimes too) though and prawns so i guess id be called a Pescetarianism.

Pfft. Responsibly sourced? I suppose you mean environmentally, not ethically.

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, because of the ethical and environmental reasons. Can't eat those cute piggies! A few things I would suggest... Don't ever ever ever eat the vegetarian stuff that comes in a can. You find it in the health food section and it is gross. It's worth paying more for the Quorn stuff. :) I cook dinner for myself now (missing my Mummy's cooking :( Although I come back regularly) and I can't afford quorn very often. I like the preflavoured tofu. And I basically just think of what I want to eat and replace the meat with something else. It's not difficult when you practice. Lasagne is amazing with spinach and ricotta. Stroganoff without the beef is pretty good too. :)

P.S. Check everything for animal fats. They're very good at sneaking them into things like cheese, although most home-brand cheese seems to be vegetarian now.

Pfft. Responsibly sourced? I suppose you mean environmentally, not ethically.

I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, because of the ethical and environmental reasons. Can't eat those cute piggies! A few things I would suggest... Don't ever ever ever eat the vegetarian stuff that comes in a can. You find it in the health food section and it is gross. It's worth paying more for the Quorn stuff. :) I cook dinner for myself now (missing my Mummy's cooking :( Although I come back regularly) and I can't afford quorn very often. I like the preflavoured tofu. And I basically just think of what I want to eat and replace the meat with something else. It's not difficult when you practice. Lasagne is amazing with spinach and ricotta. Stroganoff without the beef is pretty good too. :)

P.S. Check everything for animal fats. They're very good at sneaking them into things like cheese, although most home-brand cheese seems to be vegetarian now.

Yes if i could i wouldnt eat fish or seafood. But to be honest i miss eating meat so much i used to dream about steak and sausages. I was a massive meat eater but the way they kill and treat them is not what i like so that is the big issue. I mean as in responsibly sourced as in pole caught tuna so i know its 100% dolphine friendly as even the Dolphin friendly cans of tuna over here were exposed on the tv as being complete rubbish. Footage showed the nets of the "dolphin friendly" tuna and theyre were dead turtles and dolphins inside also pole caught wont damage the sea bed so at least im trying lol x

Yes if i could i wouldnt eat fish or seafood. But to be honest i miss eating meat so much i used to dream about steak and sausages.

I just don't understand how people can choose to eat one species and save another. If you eat pig, why not dog? You could do it if you really wanted to. Just remember fish suffer too.

I'm not going to turn this into an ethical debate. :)

Do you buy veggie mince subsitutes, and if so are these in the usual supermarkets? I might have a go at a lasagne or a moussaka - she's not keen on fish either so it's putting a whole new slant on my cooking!

How inspiring that your daughter has given up meat for ethical and moral reasons...having the courage of your convictions is pretty brave. I know this possibly isn't the place (although the issue is connected!) but perhaps she might like to look into cruelty-free cosmetics etc? There is a huge amount available and it's an easy way to show companies like Colgate-Palmolive, L'Oreal and Unilever that animal testing is affecting their business.

Alrighty! I use the frozen, Quorn mince. It costs around $6 a pack, is sold in Coles and Woolies,and is easy to use and yummy! I often add other sauces or flavourings such as tomato paste and even Gravox Supreme gravy powder (vegan, would you believe!). I include undercover vegetables in my sauces - carrot, onion, celery and broccoli add great depth of taste but when pureed down are almost invisible lol! I use spinach quite a bit, in risotto, pasties or lasagne. I combine cream cheeses (or Tofutti 'Cream Cheese' which is vegan), with spinach and nutmeg, layered with 'special' (teehee) tomato sauce and a bechamel on top. Kale is brilliant - apparently! I've never taken to it, which probably means I'm not using it properly ;) Sweet potato is a good source of protein. Broccoli any way is good but my fav is in a soup with cauliflower, horseradish and some cream/ blue cheese. My daughter uses finely cut, pre-marinated tofu in her stir fry but ensures she's fried it off first so it's crispy. We all, including the omnis, love chestnut loaf (if you didn't freeze them when in season, you can get them down Noarlunga). I have nuts (ooer, Missus) for snacking on, but maybe that's why I'm a fat vegetarian! Oh, another popular choice is stroganoff. I either use the frozen 'meat' strips or just leave out the boeuf lol and add extra mushrooms.

Basically, Diane, I wouldn't worry or over-think it. Relax, exchange the meat for a meat substitute or make meals which everyone will enjoy without the meat. Your daughter's choice will hopefully be a life-long one and, believe me, the novelty of researching gourmet vego meals will wear off...or maybe that's just the LC in me!

One minus point, you will find 'hidden' meat everywhere :0 It's up to your daughter how pedantic she is; I am, totally, but I would still suggest she doesn't over-worry. That said, you might want to be aware that many cheeses are not suitable for vegetarians although I believe Coles' own is (bizarrely perhaps, their cream is not suitable.)

HTH,

:wubclub: LC

Edited by Lazy Cow

I just don't understand how people can choose to eat one species and save another. If you eat pig, why not dog? You could do it if you really wanted to. Just remember fish suffer too.

I'm not going to turn this into an ethical debate. :)

Spoken like a true militant!

Like but I have to lol too! :wubclub:

LC

so at least im trying lol x

Good for you! Look, I wouldn't eat flesh whether fish, fowl or anything else but I think your attitude is brilliant.

Its not easy giving something up, particularly when you love it; the fact that you have speaks reams about what sort of person you are and I like you already lol!

Don't stop trying :wubclub:

LC

• 2 months later...
Guest PaulandVicky

If anyone doesn't know already, Coles have Quorn vegy meatballs!! I am soooooo so happy, ....Horah.... (But not at the price mind you!)

Im all stocked up and now have an empy purse! Lol.

ill slap ya!!!! :arghh: Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

It all depends on the sauce..................:huh:

Don't worry, I will be slapped by LC