Commuting from the outer southern suburbs to the CBD?

Guest LittleMissWildChild

Hi everyone,

I have finally got a job! Phew! Only took 4 months! It's only entry level (having working at management level in the UK its a huge step down), but hey, its a job, and there is good career progression.

In any case, now I need to work out how I get in to work. We live in Seaford, and I'd normally take the train but of course it isn't running yet, and there is no way I am catching a bus the whole way in. If you live out this way and do the commute, what do you do? I think my options are either drive in and pay for parking, or drive most of the way in, park for free and then catch the tram or a bus the rest of the way in. Obviously the latter is more expensive, and the former is going to take longer. Does anyone pay for parking in the city, and if so, how much? From what I can see online, unreserved parking at one of the parking complexes is around $300 a month. Does that sound about right? Any suggestions welcome, I start Monday so not a lot of time to get organised!

Guest Tina P

Hi, look at Wilson parking, I think if you book a full week it costs $45. This is for an early bird, I think you have to be there before 8.30am.

Edited by Tina P

Most are just lumping and getting the bus like my hubby he gets a short bus to the Noarlunga interchange and then gets a direct bus but it is a nighmare as you would probably have to get a longer bus before Noarlunga. He also has a motorbike which he is using a lot more.

Some have thought about the tram from Glenelg but not sure what the cost is.

Check out this facebook group too, might be useful...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NoarlungaLineCommuters2013/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Some people where I work pay around $50 a week for an unreserved space and then salary sacrifice the parking costs which saves money on your tax. I would check with your work to see if they offer any salary sacrificing options. Most of the people I know that live down that way are driving in at the moment. If your work is flexible with your working hours the traffic is much lighter the earlier you come in.

Congrats on the job.

Guest sithewindows

Has he not got a spare seat on his bike then?

Most are just lumping and getting the bus like my hubby he gets a short bus to the Noarlunga interchange and then gets a direct bus but it is a nighmare as you would probably have to get a longer bus before Noarlunga. He also has a motorbike which he is using a lot more.

Some have thought about the tram from Glenelg but not sure what the cost is.

Check out this facebook group too, might be useful...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NoarlungaLineCommuters2013/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Guest BurgessFamily

I commute from Seaford and lucky enough there is free parking at my office (at the top of Unley road).

I do know someone who pays $12/day though. It doesn't sound that bad if they really are putting the train ticket prices up as much as they say (I guess someone has to pay for the work).

Guest shella_n
I commute from Seaford and lucky enough there is free parking at my office (at the top of Unley road).

I do know someone who pays $12/day though. It doesn't sound that bad if they really are putting the train ticket prices up as much as they say (I guess someone has to pay for the work).

How much are they saying the train prices are going to up by?

for the OP - I get the bus replacement - it is a bit of a nightmare - it adds about 25 mins on to my commute

The train line electrification is still a problem!

The trains will be running again from Noarlunga in September (i'm sure that I received a flyer in the mail box to say August but can't remember!).

Anyway, instead of catching a replacement bus into the city, which takes so much longer...it will then be possible to drive from Seaford (or catch a bus) and then commute by train into the city. The express trains used to take 29 minutes. The two train stations in Seaford will be open in the first half of 2014.

They will be running the old diesel locomotives for a while longer on the new electrified line with a phase in of the new electric trains.

The Noarlunga line will then change it's name to the Seaford line!

Tamara

Guest BurgessFamily
How much are they saying the train prices are going to up by?

July's increase is an average of 3.3%, with Inflation (CPI) currently at 2.2%. Each update in recent time has been above inflation, and that trend is expected to continue.

When I did get the train, I hated it when it waited for 10mins before entering Adelaide station. :)

I get the tram every day from Glenelg to the CBD and it costs $3.19 each way peak (before 9 and after 3) or $1.75 off peak if you use a metro card. I used to get on at Glandore and tons of folk seemed to park there and get the tram in, it seems a popular thing to do. Parking near where I work on South Terrace is around $14 a day apparently.

Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions (and thanks Tamara for the update on the rail line). Good idea re salary sacrifice, and re Wilsons, I will check them out, also getting the Tram at Glandore. I'm not keen on the bus, as it is such a huge commute, does anyone know how long it takes? Everyone has been a huge help, thanks so much :)