Folk from Lancashire (Red Rose County)

Guest Kiwipom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Popestar
Hi and welcome to Adelaide. Are you the guys whom said you were initially staying in a unit in North Adelaide?

Hi Keith, yes that's us - we are just off Melbourne Street for a few weeks. Hubby starts work tomorrow in the CBD so I am entertaining a 4 and 6 year old for a couple of weeks before they start school/preschool. It seems like a lovely area for a potter about!

Thought so, I am in melbourne st too and there is another english couple (4 weeks in oz) in another apartment too. If you would like we could meet up for a chat? see if I can give you some pointers or any other assistance.

Its pretty amazing that hubby starts work on day 3 after landing here. How was your flight and your jetlag?

Hi Keith, yes that's us - we are just off Melbourne Street for a few weeks. Hubby starts work tomorrow in the CBD so I am entertaining a 4 and 6 year old for a couple of weeks before they start school/preschool. It seems like a lovely area for a potter about!

My wife Linda is down from Brisbane on tuesday afternoon, she walks all over this area, the parks, the streets, the city and eastern suburbs, so she might be some company for you during the days.

I'm from Plymouth but my mum was from Rochdale and we used to spend all our Christmases up there in the hope there'd be some snow - does that count?

Very surprised that you would want to be counted, brave girl:wink:but you need to ask those red rose folk if they are willing to let you be an honorary citizen, should do though as there standards are low and let anybody in whom could possibly raise the IQ of the area:biglaugh:

I'm from Manchester, which used to be part of Lancashire before 'Greater Manchester' was formed and yet more traditional shire borders were blurred.

should do though as there standards are low and let anybody in whom could possibly raise the IQ of the area:biglaugh:

'there' should be 'their' and 'whom' should be 'who' - what were you saying about IQs? :wink:

I'm from Manchester, which used to be part of Lancashire before 'Greater Manchester' was formed and yet more traditional shire borders were blurred.

Hi jim and adel, do you and your fellow mancurians class yourselves as a Lancastrians, or is there a generation lilt to it? the politicians stuffed things around for several counties just to help the votes!!

'there' should be 'their' and 'whom' should be 'who' - what were you saying about IQs? :wink:

Fair cop on my not proof reading too!:notworthy: but 50/50 I believe, as in this instance whom is the direct object of the verb let:wink:

Maybe we start using the new text talk and then anything goes:eek:

Oh dear Keith it looks like the Red Rose wins the battle of the roses, how many from Yorkshire were there again :unsure::biglaugh:

:confused::confused::confused:????? nobody was asking if there were any folk from Yorkshire?, but it took a yorkshireman to shake awake the few lancastrians and get them to respond:wink:

Where is kiwipom, he started it! he's nothing but a trouble causer:arghh:

:confused::confused::confused:????? nobody was asking if there were any folk from Yorkshire?, but it took a yorkshireman to shake awake the few lancastrians and get them to respond:wink:

Where is kiwipom, he started it! he's nothing but a trouble causer:arghh:

I thought we had a Yorkshire thread lol, maybe I am getting mixed up when a Lancastrian wished you all a Happy Yorkshire Day :biglaugh: You could always start a where are the White Roses thread Keith I can pretend I was born in Yorkshire if you want but I don't think it will help your cause :frown:

I thought we had a Yorkshire thread lol, maybe I am getting mixed up when a Lancastrian wished you all a Happy Yorkshire Day :biglaugh: You could always start a where are the White Roses thread Keith I can pretend I was born in Yorkshire if you want but I don't think it will help your cause :frown:

I can understand you getting confused, being Lancastrian what!:wacko: we Yorkshire folk have no need to account for ourselves we did that a few years back and proved our point then and maybe that is why we are the biggest county in England (before the pollies mucked things around that is):tongue:

Fair cop on my not proof reading too!:notworthy: but 50/50 I believe, as in this instance whom is the direct object of the verb let:wink:

Maybe we start using the new text talk and then anything goes:eek:

Look, I wouldn't normally point out errors like that – it was only the irony of the IQ reference that prompted me – but you might want to tighten up the +50 word fragmented sentence I quoted from before trying to pinpoint any direct object or give a grammar 101 lesson!

Better still, take a quick look at some of your other recent postings that feature 'whom' (also incorrectly) and try to apply your explanation to them.

Plenty of ways for me to explain whether 'who' or 'whom' should be used, some quite technical, and I wouldn't need a search engine to remind me how to do it. Just settle for the fact that you have a habit of using 'whom' incorrectly, although if you keep going with it you're bound to use it correctly in the end! :biggrin:

Now back to the topic ...

Look, I wouldn't normally point out errors like that – it was only the irony of the IQ reference that prompted me – but you might want to tighten up the +50 word fragmented sentence I quoted from before trying to pinpoint any direct object or give a grammar 101 lesson!

Better still, take a quick look at some of your other recent postings that feature 'whom' (also incorrectly) and try to apply your explanation to them.

Plenty of ways for me to explain whether 'who' or 'whom' should be used, some quite technical, and I wouldn't need a search engine to remind me how to do it. Just settle for the fact that you have a habit of using 'whom' incorrectly, although if you keep going with it you're bound to use it correctly in the end! :biggrin:

Now back to the topic ...

It was put there for fun and not to be disected and I think most people read it that way. Take it in the conext it is meant and retaliate in the same manner, thats what it is all about!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Messua

I am rather proud of it lol! Speaking of drinks, it's port o'clock here now so I'm logging off. Drop me a line if I can help.... Oh, and congratulations on coming from the correct side of the Pennines. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Born in Sale, at the time I believe it was in Cheshire... but just a short bus ride into Manchester. Grandfather and my Dad and his seven siblings all born in Lancaster, my family moved to Lancaster when I was eight years old, Mum born and raised in Blackpool, my Grandma was a Morecombe lass. We moved to Sydney in 1955/6 spending two years there followed by a stint in Tassie before the family settled in Adelaide in 1961....